2004 - 2008 F-150

Buy Now? Or wait for bugs to be worked out??

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 01:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buy Now? Or wait for bugs to be worked out??

My heart tells me to buy now. My brain says wait a while, six months or so, for the bugs to be worked out. I desperately want one NOW but with so much cash on the line, it really is making me think about the issue. With all of the emphasis that Ford is placing on the success of this rollout, do you really think it's safe to be one of the first to make the plunge??????

Last edited by Stratman; 08-04-2003 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:06 PM
My stance is similar, but I'm choosing to be an early bird. Ordered one last month.

My view is... since Ford is banking on this truck, they're naturally going to go over it with a fine tooth comb to ensure quality. Sure this may uncover some issues, but they'll sort it out. I think quality will be higher in the beginning and believe, in the long run, it will be beneficial.

Plus, with FORD wanting to cut production costs and raise profit, they've already stated that they'll be looking for ways to cut the production costs of the 150. This may come in the form of cutting out some of the "bells and whistles" that you can currently get or may result in lower quality.

Last edited by wingn8ive; 08-04-2003 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:09 PM
I got the '03 expy shortly after it was released and 15,000 miles later, I love it as much as the day I got it. No problems yet!!

Old 08-04-2003, 02:20 PM
with a completely new design, I say wait several months. i have the luxury of having to wait 6 months (at least) since the cash flow won't allow me to buy until the new year at the soonest.

i work for a company that makes seals and all sorts of molded rubber goods. we sell lots of fuel, transmission, cooling, and brake seals to the big auto makers, including Ford. i've only heard of one major design issue needing to be worked out, though there are probably more. this flaw involves the windows rolling down too far and getting stuck. to fix this Ford tried putting a rubber gromet (that's where we get involved) to block the window from going down any further. this had 2 problems. first, the gromets didn't stay in place well and would fall out and roll around in the door. second, the window would still go too far below the lips of the window seals and on it's way up, it would rub against the window seals. our suggestion was to shorten the guide/track/railing for the window. not sure what they are going to do yet.

this is a bug that could never bite you. or it could come up just after the warranty expires and cost you a bit of money. so even if i had the finances available, i think i'd wait until the new year to let Ford sort out the bugs. but i totalyl understand the anxious desire to buy.

BTW, this is my first post after lurking around f150online for a year now.

Old 08-04-2003, 02:25 PM
I'm definitely waiting !!.. For more than one reason. One being a money issue. I'm waiting until Feb/Mar. to buy one in hopes of incentives and rebates will start around then. Also, I have to wait anyway to get my year-end bonus, so I can put a substantial chunck of change down on it. But still, if money wasn't an issue, I'd want to wait awhile anyway to make sure the bugs are removed, and so I can make a better decision on what to get. I'm still not sure if it's worth the extra couple thousand to me and my needs to get the Screw vs. Scab. I want to visually look at it and sit in it. Also, my heart wants the FX4 with everything, but I might want the lariat. You 60,000 people who pre-ordered have some serious *****. (I can't say too much, I had ordered a 1997 F-150 back in the day)

Old 08-04-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Podge
You 60,000 people who pre-ordered have some serious *****. (I can't say too much, I had ordered a 1997 F-150 back in the day)
but hey, the pre-order people help work out bugs whne they have toubles and bring it back to the dealer. so you get a big THANK YOU from me for being part of the guinew pig group. honestly, most people won't have problems though.

Old 08-04-2003, 02:34 PM
Yeah, I just can't decide what to do. There is a great case to be made on both sides of the issue. I think, however, I am leaning more towards taking a chance and hoping that whatever issues do pop up will be dealt with promptly in order to keep from getting a bad rep on such a new model. The points you make are certainly valid, I just am so damn excited about getting one that I just don't think I can wait! :-) Thanks for responding so quickly everyone! Oh yeah, Mikey88......I live right across the Mississippi in Baton Rouge! Howdy Neighbor!!!

Old 08-04-2003, 02:43 PM
ok, i just heard about another problem. this was from our sales rep who calls on Ford in detroit. he said that they are having trouble with timing on the 3-valve 5.4L V8. they didn't give exact details, but it as basically trouble getting the 2 intake valves to work properly with the exhaust valve. i don't know what exactly the problem is or if it should be taken too seriously. i'm sure they've put plenty of work into designing and testing this new engine, but i thought i'd make my info available.

Quick Reply: Buy Now? Or wait for bugs to be worked out??