2004 - 2008 F-150

Is the 04 worth waiting for?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2003, 06:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the 04 worth waiting for?

I am new to this site so excuse me if this is the wrong forum for this question. I am looking to become an F-150 owner once again. I went down to the local dealer and saw a good deal on a sales manager's demo. It is an 03 F-150 crew cab XLT 5.4 loaded with moon roof with 7,000 miles on it. The price they are advertising seems good, but I was wondering if I would be better off waiting for the 04 trucks to come out. Thing is this demo is about 5k below sticker without even any haggling, seems like a good deal. I don't know if the improvements in the new model are enough reason to wait. Thanks for any input.

Old 06-22-2003, 09:34 PM
Welcome to the site.

Personally I would forget a "Demo" with 7000 miles on it. That is a used truck. A Demo is usually driven very hard before it is broken in properly. $5,000 below sticker is not a bargain for a used Demo, you can get $4000 off a truck with 3 miles or less on the odometer and that does not include rebates.

If your dealer is trying to pass off this price as a good deal please shop around some more. However if you really like the truck demand at least another two grand off the price and insist on them providing a top notch extended warranty. Also take it to another mechanic for a full diagnostic check. Good luck with what ever you decide.

Old 06-23-2003, 07:46 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with Nick, $5k off sticker is not a good price for a demo. There are $3500 in rebates on that truck right now in select regions, and there was just $4000 in the Detroit until last week. Combine that with sales prices near dealer invoice and people have been gettign $7-10k off sticker price for their brand new trucks with under 50 miles.

I do recommend a 2003 model. THe 2004 is very nice, but expect to pay $4-6k more for it because of incentives and sale prices being a new model. If you are not too confident with your negotiation skills, use www.carsdirect.com as they are great. You should get a great price and they'll help find you the exact options you want.

I just picked up a 2003 Supercrew and sold my 99 Supercab. Great truck that 99 was and I hate to see it go. But this new one is very nice too.

Old 06-23-2003, 09:18 PM
Don't know how long you will keep your truck but the current 5.4 has plug blowing problems with higher mileage

The problem has been corrected on the 2004 3V5.4

Old 06-23-2003, 10:23 PM
UncBob, are you talking about sparkplugs blowing out, and at what amount of miles? I had a 99 XLT and it had a 5.4 that blew a head gasket in the first 10000 miles.

Old 06-24-2003, 07:02 AM
APT
UncBob, it is people like you that cause reactions like this. You make it sound like every 2 valve 5.4L will have a problem. There are a lot of people that hae 100k+ miles on their 5.4L engines with no problems.

Those having spark plug blowouts seem to be in the 60-100k mile range, and most after a spark plug change.

The 3V 5.4L will have to push 500 more pounds so I would not expect to see any performance increases. And Ford is coming out with an all new transmission slotted for 2005, but possibly pushed back if you know Ford.

Last edited by APT; 06-24-2003 at 12:12 PM.
Old 06-24-2003, 05:03 PM
APT, don't worry, I am not scared off. Also I checked back with the dealer today and the sticker on the truck I am looking at is 36,600, without talking price yet they have it for28,000 because it has 7500 miles put on by the sales manager. I think I will go look again.

Old 06-24-2003, 06:10 PM
Well this really depends on you.

OR

These are similiarly equipped models (minus the moonroof on the 04). In my opinion, the 2004 is going to be better in several ways...

-Better Ride
-Better Engine
-Stronger/More Towing Capacity
-Bold look (personal taste)
-INTERIOR!

I put a lot of stress on the interior because the new FX4 and Lariat models are lightyears ahead of what's already out there. However, the XLT as you can see, is an upgrade from whats out there now, but not necessarily lightyears from the current truck.
So basically, if you like the 2004 look better, and are willing to pay for it, go for it. I'd say the same exact truck you just described in a 2004 model would run about $1000 more than the 03. So I'm thinking a sticker of around $36-37, then you'll haggle and do whatever. So basically, are the new ride, more powerful engine, towing capacity and look worth the 5-7000 extra dollars? Personal opinion. It's a tough decision. Especially with the moonroof...

Old 06-24-2003, 06:12 PM
Old 06-24-2003, 06:49 PM

or

not that the first is an option

Old 06-24-2003, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. my only fears about the 04 are price being higher (possibly no incentives or rebates) and also nervous about getting first of a new model. Still didn't reach a deal on the 03 I was looking at. They are trying to tell me that they are selling the truck at invoice (31,300) and then tacking on a $2,500 rebate making the truck a price of 28,800. I told them they need to come down a little more because this truck is used (7500 miles) and soon to be a year old when the 04 arrives. Does anyone know what the dealer actually pays for a vehicle? They tell me they make no money on this truck because they are selling it at invoice.

Old 06-24-2003, 08:44 PM
Dealers can be hard to deal with but if you want to do what I do, go ahead. If I want a truck/car badly, but am in your situation and feel that I'm being overcharged, I tell the dealer "I will buy this vehicle right now for _______." In your case, lets say $27000. If they say they can't do that but you keep coming back, they won't try to keep going lower because they know you like the vehicle. I'd go up to the dealer and say "I'll by this for $27,000 right now. If you can't do it, fine. Here's my number if you change your mind. I'm going to keep looking at other dealers." Now THEY have to make the move. If they are truly not making any money by selling it to you for $28800, then they won't call you. But if he knows he can make a little bit of cash on it and starts worrying about selling it...he'll call ya. Trust me, I know several car dealers myself, if they need/want the sell bad enough, he'll call ya back. If not, o well, Ford is making 800,000 a year right now...I'm sure there is another out there for ya.

In reference to the incentives for the new body style, it has been said that the 04 will have incentives right out of the gate. I have a truck made in Nov. of 96 which means it was one of the earlier of the current model. I haven't had any serious problems that Ford wouldn't fix. EXCEPT FOR THE DOOR CRACK ORDEAL. But I understand your concern. These trucks have also had better testing than the previous new launches, but again, I understand your concern. The 04 truck will be much better and come 05 when your truck is becoming more and more of a "past generation" you'll regret that you went with the 03 (or 04 'Heritage'). However, if you are pressed for cash, and don't feel the extra features are really all that important to you, get an 03. It's a hell of a deal. But honestly, 28800 is too much for a used truck. And like it was mentioned, demos get driven the hell out of. One of my friends who is a dealer has this one Avalanche he uses for his demo and he hits curves and lightly offroads in it when showing it. He also constantly accelerates hard and brakes hard for no reason when showing the vehicle. IMO, demos aren't worth it UNLESS you can get him to like $25000. That would be a better price. With all of the incentives coming around and some that are already in dealers for the 2003, you should be able to find a great deal on a truck with under 10 miles on it.

Old 06-25-2003, 08:29 AM
APT
Good advice on the negotiating, Brandon. The dealer is making money on that demo. They paid invoice (or close to it) for that truck, then used it for 7500 miles worth of employee truck use, customer rides, etc. That is where they made their money, they used it to promote other examples or carry on regular business duties.

I just did a quick KBB.com private party sale estimate in my area on that truck as a 2003 used model. About $27k.

I would do as BigBadRed said, walkin and say you'll pay $xx.xxx for it. If not, then I will go down the street (or next town) to the next Ford dealer who will sell me the same truck new for invoice, minus $2500 rebates.

Again, I recommend www.carsdirect.com as a good place to work with. You cand pick the exact truck you want with the options you like and they'll find it for you for very close to invoice, minus incentives.

Old 06-25-2003, 05:18 PM
04 worth it NO

i have a new 04 ordered and i am not going to take it. WHY. i went and drove a new chevy tahoe and went back and bought it.
great ride and fantastick power. sold my 99 f150 supercab. i will be looking for an older truck maby a 97 f150. the fords just dont hold their value in the south. steve

Old 06-25-2003, 05:21 PM
Thanks guys I am going to call and tell them they will have to come down around 2 or 3 thousand more or else I will go elsewhere. I also may look at a 2001 with 32000 miles on it.

Quick Reply: Is the 04 worth waiting for?