2004 - 2008 F-150

'04 FX4 up close!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 12:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 FX4 up close!!!

I was in Des Moines Iowa last week and we went to a Iowa Cubs ballgame Friday night. What is parked right beside the main gate: A 2004 red FX4 SuperCrew! I could only subdue my excitement for 2 innings when I slipped outside to check it out. I had been to Detroit in January, but they only had a Lariat on a riser and you couldn't get close... I had my face glued to the drivers window checking ou the interior when the "Ford guy" walked over and unlocked the doors and let me in. I almost hugged him (but I don't hug men!) This truck is exactly what I want with the exception of color. Not that red is bad, it looked v good.
- This truck looks very different in real. The grille is not at all like the Dodge. Not nearly as tall or as big. I doubt the hood is much higher than the current truck. The whole front end really didn' t look that large up close.
- The more I looked at this thing, the more I liked it.
- The box is deep. I'm @ 6 ft and reaching over the bed on the side I was 1.5 to 2 inches from touching the bed. (this is not an issue on the current truck)
- The tailgate is pretty easy to close.
- The 18" wheels look great, although they still don't seem that big. I now know why the 17" were axed on the FX4.
- Overall, I love the exterior!!!
- The interior is awesome.
- It had the "sporty cloth" seats. With this material, you don't need the leather. No fuzz, very tight weave. I bet water beads off. Looked good too.
- Visibility is excellent. Great job in keeping A pillars compact. They'll have a huge advantage over the Titan here. (Dodge too)
- Front seats were very comfortable.
- Dash was very nice. It has the Ebony int. Looks great.
- Quickly sat in rear seat. Lots of room although I didn't care for angle of seat bottom. Not sure if this is different from '03? I do think the Avalanche rear seat is more comfortable, but I have to keep in mind, I won't be sitting back there!
- I had the moonroof. V nice but I donlt want to give up the storage options now available. (or pay the price!)
- Truck does not "feel" like a bus. That is not the case when I sit in a Ram.
-Overall: I must have one. I need one. And it will be a all black FX4 SuperCrew... Great job Ford. Now if it drives like the early reports indicate... WOW.

Old 06-13-2003, 03:30 AM
- The 18" wheels look great, although they still don't seem that big. I now know why the 17" were axed on the FX4.

What do you mean??

Old 06-13-2003, 03:52 AM
Forgot to ask, did you notice anything new about the stereo, vents in the back? Any other new features we havent heard about? Thanks

Old 06-14-2003, 08:13 PM
The whole 17" FX4 wheel relates to another post thats @ a month old. Dealers in my area were shown some new '04's and one of the FX4's had the 17" wheels. It did not look that good. (under tired) 17" is too small. Ford may still "offer" them, but they have asked the dealers not to stock them.

Only drink holders for rear passengers are the ones on the back of the center console as seen in most of the pics. Not sure what they do if you have the 60/40 seat? The front is limited to two in the front the center console and two built in the front "map pockets" in the doors. FYI the small section under the temp controls on the dash is an ashtray. The vents in the back are round and look like the round ones it the dash. Didn't get to hear the strereo..

Old 06-17-2003, 08:11 PM
http://www.buildabox.net/autoshow/f1508.jpg

they call this a "skid Plate" man, im sure that will help alot on a rock, so flimsy, should be called the rust plate, cus that babies gunna go fast, look how slight the metal is, dissapointed!

Last edited by mxz600; 06-17-2003 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-17-2003, 08:16 PM
Hey, Im not sure if the server is down, but that link isnt working. Would you mind re-checking?

Old 06-17-2003, 08:22 PM
and another thing i have noticed, all the FX4's that have been shown at auto shows and promo's from ford have the two tone grey under body paint that match, like it should, to the wheel well trim, but the ones that have been coming out on production don't match at all, the wheel well trim is darker than the grey paint, thats not right, here are two links for your ease of comparison.

http://www.buildabox.net/autoshow/f1506.jpg

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...0&pagenumber=2

look at the fx4's all of em are the same, different color grey's, don't mean to be picky here but for 40000+ canadian, i want it perfect.

Old 06-17-2003, 08:36 PM
Never mind, it works. You have a point, looks like aluminum. Hmm. Oh well, still like it.

Old 06-17-2003, 08:55 PM
i read somewhere that ford is having trouble with the two tone color or something....

Old 06-17-2003, 09:19 PM
What type of trouble?

Old 06-17-2003, 10:11 PM
dunno, somethng about delays with the two tone trucks due to supply of the paint, (don't make sense) or something, its on the forums somewhere.

Old 06-18-2003, 03:59 PM
that skidplate is sooo weak. It only cost me $50 to get a custom steel plate made with a chrome casting. Ford could probably get em for 1/4 of that with as many as they would need. I bet they only had to pay 2-3 bucks for the one in the pic.

Old 06-19-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Power Kid
The whole 17" FX4 wheel relates to another post thats @ a month old. Dealers in my area were shown some new '04's and one of the FX4's had the 17" wheels. It did not look that good. (under tired) 17" is too small. Ford may still "offer" them, but they have asked the dealers not to stock them.

Actually, Ford has never said a word on 17" or 18" wheels and stocking trucks. I'm willing to bet that most will have the 17" at least initially. If the price of the 18" option isn't out of line, then you'll probably see more.

Old 06-20-2003, 05:50 PM
Sorry your wrong. Ford has told dealers in this province and this country to order the FX4 with the 18's as they look better. Ford is offering the 17 for fuel economy reasons. When they were tested Ford outfitted them with the 17's. Thats why they will still be "available". But if your word overrides what the Ford guy says, hey all the power to you.

Just cause you or your source has not heard this, doesn't mean it didn't happen. It's not like Ford would release a media stmt: "Don't buy the 17's on the FX4, it doen't look that good!"

Old 06-20-2003, 05:52 PM
And another point... Given the supply and demand of these new trucks for the first 8 - 12 months, a @$500 - $1,000 option (wheels/tires)w on't really be a big deal. Initial demand will far exceed supply so I disagree with your point...

Quick Reply: '04 FX4 up close!!!