2004 - 2008 F-150

Interesting facts on '04

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2003, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting facts on '04

In this Fridays auto section in the local paper(Winnipeg Sun), there was an article about the 04 F-150. Seems there were seven 2004 F-150's up in northern Manitoba undergoing cold weather testing (Ford does all of it's cold weather testing at their Thompson facility). On there way back to Norfolk Va, they stopped in Wpg for one night to allow the area dealers to come in and take a look. Turns out my dealer was lucky enough to attend and here is what I learned:

- FX4 looked under tired with 17" wheels. (Did not look good at all) Infact Ford will now remove the availability of the 17" (at least in Canada) std wheel. I guess the 18" will now be std.
- XLT looks good but there is a major step up in looks with the FX4/Lariat. IF you can upgrade, you should!
- As I stated in another thread, the Supercab's new found space is mainly eaten up with the new improved seatback angle. Little increase in leg room.
- There was one Lariat with a black interior. Looked good even with woodgrain trim!
- Tough call between FX4 and Lariat. Based on known pricing, the Lariat will be a better "value".
- Had a 2wd Lariat. Even that looked v good.
- They all had 5.4's.
- He reports that while he didn't get to drive one, the guys from the host dealer did. They were very impresed. V Impressive ride, v quietr, and the 5.4L had much more *****. Actually broke loose at speed! This motor has *****. Sounds like HEMI and Endurance (Nissan) better make room in the ring! It Maybe a 3 way battle royal?

Sounds great!

Old 05-01-2003, 08:41 PM
"FX4 looked under tired with 17" wheels. (Did not look good at all) Infact Ford will now remove the availability of the 17" (at least in Canada) std wheel. I guess the 18" will now be std. "

Perhaps they will offer that FX4 17" wheel on the XLT? They must have had a bunch of these wheels produced by now?

Old 05-01-2003, 10:05 PM
Re: Interesting facts on '04

Originally posted by Power Kid

- XLT looks good but there is a major step up in looks with the FX4/Lariat. IF you can upgrade, you should!
This refers to what? I'm assuming you mean the interior?

Old 05-01-2003, 10:28 PM
While there is a huge differnce in the interiors, I was referring to the exterior. Why?
- No wheel lip mouldings. 97 - 03 had these
- Choice of wheels is ok at best.
- Tires too small. (stock 97 - 03 16" were also guilty of this)

I will say I like the grille on the XLT over the others...

Overall they reduced the content of the XLT so were more far more apt to upgrade to the FX4 or Lariat. Marketing 101. Makes you wonder why they did not do this earlier. Externally there was not much to distinguish a XLT vs a Lariat pre-04.

Old 05-02-2003, 01:02 AM
I do have to say I like the looks of the lip moldings. As far as the wheels and tires, those I plan on replacing anyway, so no big loss. As far options go, I'm not big on those, either. All I really plan on doing option-wise is the bigger engine, moonroof, limited slip axle and maybe sliding rear window. Everything else is just fluff and unneccesary to me.

The only real concern of mine is how much "nose down" is going to be on those trucks. I really hate that Ford will not release these trucks level from the factory.

Old 05-06-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Truck of Doom

The only real concern of mine is how much "nose down" is going to be on those trucks.

That gives better gas mileage, the trucks are always going "down hill".

Old 05-07-2003, 08:00 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Truck of Doom
The only real concern of mine is how much "nose down" is going to be on those trucks. I really hate that Ford will not release these trucks level from the factory.
And when some people actualy put cargo in the beds of their rtrucks, it levels out.

Old 05-07-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by APT
And when some people actualy put cargo in the beds of their rtrucks, it levels out.
Yea, I'm aware of that. But I don't drive around with a dirtbike and a bed full of gear everyday.

Old 05-07-2003, 05:30 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I meant no offense. Few people do always have a heavy load. But, it is a comromise. In order to have a payload of 1500 pounds or so, you either need really stiff springs with short suspension travel, or softer ones with longer travel. The majority people don't haul stuff and want a comfortable ride, so long travel and soft springs is what we get.

Old 05-07-2003, 06:08 PM
When pulling camp trailers my truck also levels out perfectly. I like this because it doesnt fell like im going up hill all the time like a freind of mines bronco.

Old 05-08-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by APT

IMHO, only the 8' boxes are really noticable as being severly nose down - or more likely - tail up. With the taller bed sides and more square profile, I think it looks a little cartoony. Especially with the regular cab.

The other bed and cab combinations don't look to nose heavy to me.

Old 05-12-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by JScharton
IMHO, only the 8' boxes are really noticable as being severly nose down - or more likely - tail up. With the taller bed sides and more square profile, I think it looks a little cartoony. Especially with the regular cab.

The other bed and cab combinations don't look to nose heavy to me.

I've yet to see a pic of a '04 Scab with a 8' bed. All the pics seem to be of 6.5 or shorter. If anyone has one, I'd love to see it, as that's what I'm planning to get.

Old 05-12-2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by scooterjohn
I've yet to see a pic of a '04 Scab with a 8' bed. All the pics seem to be of 6.5 or shorter. If anyone has one, I'd love to see it, as that's what I'm planning to get.

scooterjohn,

Write Ford and tell them you want that package on a Lariat. If enough of us ask for one they can't keep ignoring us.

Old 05-25-2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by APT
Your suppose to put cargo back there?

Quick Reply: Interesting facts on '04