1997 - 2003 F-150

need help shaking in front in but almost all new parts.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 08:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help shaking in front in but almost all new parts.

ok I have a 01 F150 Lariat had it a year now but it was neglected so I've been rebuilding.
so far in a year I've put on both new lower ball joints (moog problem solvers), both new upper control arms (again moog), all four shocks (motorcraft), rear U joint (moog), 6months ago set of 4 khumo a/t's, and 3 weeks ago both front hubs (Timken), and had my tires rotated.
I drive highway to work so I'll run 80-90..ish 😈 so it's important that everything holds together. but the other day out of nowhere my steering wheel started shaking and kind of drifting/super sensitive not a plus when whipping in and put of traffic. any ideas why? they checked my tie rods when I put hubs on and said they are good and tight. any ideas it's making me nuts. I am a tire spinner could it be from the tire rotation? is there something else I'm missing?

Old 02-13-2018, 08:47 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Also check the idler arm and the pitman arm. There shouldn't be any up and down movement in those. Recheck the tie rod ends. A balance weight could have come off the rims causing the tire to bounce but that would be more consistent at certain speeds.

Old 02-16-2018, 06:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Roadie makes a good point...check those 1st.

If this had happened suddenly and just as suddenly the symptoms disappear?? Then I might suggest that snow/ ice had built up inside the rims. Maybe causing the condition, and when temperatures moderated some it melted out.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:53 AM
thanks work in all weekend but will deff check those out. I thought about ice too but it hasn't snowed for about a week I'm thinking it needs balanced again. thinking about putting on a steering dampner I drive some rough washboard gravel daily. looking at the moog one love my moog parts.

Old 02-16-2018, 03:42 PM
I had the same issue with my 2003 4x4 f150 last year. Felt like the whole truck was going to shake apart especially when I hit a bump. I ended up replacing all shocks, pitman arm, idler arm, inner and outer tie rods, upper and lower control arms with ball joints, wheel hubs and CV axels. I used as many moog parts as I could. I had a true alignment and balance done and I've had no more issues. Drives perfectly now.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:19 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
wmwright -- you basically rebuilt the front end.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
wmwright -- you basically rebuilt the front end.
correct! And it's worth it because now I can keep all of the moog parts greased.made all the difference

Quick Reply: need help shaking in front in but almost all new parts.