1997 - 2003 F-150

Clicking Noise Rear

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 12:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clicking Noise Rear

I am sure this has been asked a bunch, but couldn’t find an answer. I have a 03 rwd F150 4.2L with 198k miles. Recently, it started making a loud clicking noise at slow speeds from the rear end (under 15 mph). The noise happens when braking, accelerating, coasting, etc. It doesn’t always happen, but when it does it is fairly rythmic. I also noticed around the same time that the car started shaking at 65 mph and faster. I am not sure if the clicking and shaking started at the same time since I rarely take this truck on the interstate. It is not my primary driver anymore, so I only use it about once a week for less than 20 miles at a time.

All that said, I was thinking it might be a U-joint problem. I live in the south with no salted roads, and everything looked fairly clean, and I didnt notice any slop. Not sure if that makes a difference.

One last thing to note is it happened around the time I was doing a large landscaping project in my backyard. I hauled several loads of dirt from a local landscape company about 4 miles away. Our last load, my wife drove to pick up dirt while I shoveled, and I told her to get a yard of topsoil. She said there was room so she got two... she also said she forgot to take the ebrake off... Not sure if it could be something wrong with the ebrake based on what I have read or some other damage from too much of a load.

I was hoping someone could help me diagnose before I go through the effort of changing the U-joints. Thanks in advanced for the help and reading all this.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KL1NE90
I am sure this has been asked a bunch, but couldn’t find an answer. I have a 03 rwd F150 4.2L with 198k miles. Recently, it started making a loud clicking noise at slow speeds from the rear end (under 15 mph). The noise happens when braking, accelerating, coasting, etc. It doesn’t always happen, but when it does it is fairly rythmic. I also noticed around the same time that the car started shaking at 65 mph and faster. I am not sure if the clicking and shaking started at the same time since I rarely take this truck on the interstate. It is not my primary driver anymore, so I only use it about once a week for less than 20 miles at a time.

All that said, I was thinking it might be a U-joint problem. I live in the south with no salted roads, and everything looked fairly clean, and I didnt notice any slop. Not sure if that makes a difference.

One last thing to note is it happened around the time I was doing a large landscaping project in my backyard. I hauled several loads of dirt from a local landscape company about 4 miles away. Our last load, my wife drove to pick up dirt while I shoveled, and I told her to get a yard of topsoil. She said there was room so she got two... she also said she forgot to take the ebrake off... Not sure if it could be something wrong with the ebrake based on what I have read or some other damage from too much of a load.

I was hoping someone could help me diagnose before I go through the effort of changing the U-joints. Thanks in advanced for the help and reading all this.
Yep my 1st thought was a dry U-joint. They can feel very snug and still be bad.

Leaving the E brake on may also contributing to the noise as well. Best to check the brakes too.

Also might not hurt to make sure that you have proper gear lube level in the rear differential. Better yet, maybe drain the rear differential and install some fresh gear lube. Considering that differentials tend to neglected.

Being over loaded with dirt might not be the best. but I kind of doubt that it was primary cause for the issues, just the trigger.

How may miles did this load get hauled with the E brake on?

Old 02-13-2018, 08:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. I will definitely check the brakes. If everything checks out, I will move on with fixing the U joints. We did about 7 loads total of dirt. 6 of the 7 loads were yard of top soil. Only the last one was extremely overloaded with 2 yards. It is a fairly short trip to the landscape company where we got the dirt. Only about 4 miles. There are several speed bumbs between there and our house though.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:26 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Might be that a heat shield has fallen a bit and is loose. Mine actually was rubbing on the drive shaft but that made a terrible noise.

double check your sway-bar end links on the front too.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:18 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Does your truck have a limited slip? If it does, it might need it's fluid changed.

Quick Reply: Clicking Noise Rear