1997 - 2003 F-150

Turn Signals Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 10:03 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
discovered that several of the connectors were really corroded,
That's one of the likely outcomes I had expected.

Now, the instrument panel is not working
BTW, does the engine now fail to start?

F16 is the high beam circuit. It's going to be hot only when the highs are on.

F30 is the "money fuse". It runs the cluster electronics including the gauges and some of the indicator lights and should be HOT IN START OR RUN. It comes out of the fuse box on the same connector as did the previous problem circuit but on pin 34, a red/lt green wire.

F6 happens to supply the particular lamps you mentioned.

I'm suspecting there are still issues at the fuse box connectors given the other symptoms you identified.

Last edited by projectSHO89; 06-07-2017 at 10:06 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, thanks for the clarification.

To your question, you are correct, the engine is not starting now. It will turn over, but that's it.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:01 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Yeah, the cluster has to work in order for PATS to be happy. A non-operational cluster equals a dead (cranks, no fire) truck.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:54 PM
Hey, sorry for falling off the grid. Our primary vehicle blew up while we were on vacation ("catastrophic transmission failure" while doing 70 through PA). Been busy trying to replace that first.
So, so you happen to have a diagram for the pins on the back of the fuse panel? That's the only thing I've messed with recently, so I'm certain that's the cause, but I can't seem to figure out which pins go where, thought that might help me track down which connector is still having trouble.

EDIT: I just remembered, I've also been working on the MFS, so I suppose it could be that too, but everything seems secure there...

Old 08-26-2017, 01:01 PM
Some carefully applied conductive grease seems to have done the trick. It's been a couple of months and I've had no trouble since. Thanks again for all of your help!

Old 08-29-2017, 09:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
I was going to type out a step-by-step, but I see the service manual already has what I was going to type so I attached a copy of the pertinent section and its schematic. Go through the procedure and see where it fails. Let us know if you get stuck or need an explanation.

There's an open circuit somewhere between the fuse box and the internals of the MFS via the flasher relay. Focus on the supply circuit from F23 (#294) first and then circuit #44 between the flasher relay and the MFS. Use the instructions and the road map to trace it out.
Would this schematic also work on a 2000 F-150, 4.6 V8? I have the same problem...

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-07-2022, 06:01 AM
Originally Posted by TruckNoob5501
Hey all, I have a 2002 F150 with the 5.4 V8.
When I got the truck a few months ago the turn signals were working, but now they've stopped.
The hazards still working, all of the other lights (brake lights, backup lights, hi/low beams, etc) are also working, it's only the turn signals that don't seem to work.

Repairs attempted:
I've tried clicking the hazards on and off repeatedly, to clear the contacts, no effect. I tried raising the steering all the way, also to no effect.
I've already replaced the flasher relay and the fuse for the turn signals (actually, I pulled and replaced every fuse in the under-dash panel). I've cleaned all of the grounds that I could find. I've also pulled apart and cleaned the MFS, as I've read that the conducting grease can start to run and cause shorting issues. (Everything seemed to be working fine, and I didn't see any broken or cut wires).

I can't get it to pass inspection until I get the turn signals working, so any help would be appreciated!

A little extra information, between the turn signals working and not working, I did have a leaking windshield, which cause shorting and corrosion in the fuse panel, but I pulled it all apart and cleaned up the corrosion.
Also, the side power mirrors and dash cluster illumination are not working. May be unrelated...
add a ground wire to cigarette lighter, the black wire, and go straight to nagative to battery , don't trust grounding on body or frame. Your blinkers and flashers, break lights and mirrors should work now and ready for inspection .