1997 - 2003 F-150

Was hard to start, now starts and dies

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 09:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update...

So, I've yet to capture a the fuel giving bad pressure but it's still making that crazy noise, very frustrating... HOWEVER, boy have I found another issue. The truck started stumbling like crazy 2 days ago and finally threw a code yesterday. I stopped by oreilly's and the code reader said misfire cylinder 6. I go home to diagnose hoping it's the spark plug and not the coil pack. When I pull the coil pack off the spark plug hole is full of antifreeze. When I dry out the fluid with a paper towel it has a brownish tent to it as well. So, I'm assuming at this point that either the intake manifold or intake manifold gasket has cracked and the anti-freeze / oil is mixing somewhere. Anyways, this is something I've never done before but will have to learn as I don't have the $$ to pay someone else. My main concern here is trying to figure out if it's the gaskets or manifold. I'd love to save the $200 on a new manifold if possible. Any help / guidance would be much appreciated.

Old 11-03-2016, 11:34 AM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
The plug sits in a bore in the head.
The antifreeze got in from another source.
Clean it up first then look for the cause of the coolant.
You coolant level may be slowly going down.
Do a pressure test on the system to find the leak.
Good luck.

Old 11-03-2016, 02:39 PM
Thanks Bluegrass, that is good info to start me on my way. I'm hoping a parts store will loan me a pressure tester, never used one before but I've seen videos. Take off overflow tank cap, screw on pressure tester cap, pump / pressurize system, go hunting for leak... Is this what you're referring to?

To be honest, I'm very confused how the spark plug hole got full of anything. The boot on the coil pack was sitting in fluid, you couldn't even see the top of the plug with the coil removed. It seems the only way for this to happen would be a steady leak above the coil but there aren't any coolants lines above #6. Very confusing for a very amature mechanic like myself. Also, the color of the fluid, obviously its mixing with oil somewhere.

One other thing, how concerning is the noise from the fuel pump? I recorded it on my phone, I could probably get it uploaded on here if it would help at all...

Old 11-03-2016, 07:37 PM
I removed the coils around #6 and found no moisture and no new moisture in on coil 6. Took a few pics of the area around because it looked like moisture marks were present. The pictures are behind the #6 coil inside the manifold. I know they're crappy but its the best I could get. Any ideas?

Side note, I guess I'm lucky that the manifold looks to be all metal, I'd heard the plastic ones cracked a lot easier.

Attached Thumbnails Was hard to start, now starts and dies-image1.jpg   Was hard to start, now starts and dies-image2.jpg   Was hard to start, now starts and dies-image3.jpg  
Old 11-04-2016, 06:40 AM
Have you pressure tested the cooling system yet? Since you had "coolant" puddling in the #6 plug hole, I'd leave that coil out when you pump the system up. Then just watch what happens when you pressurize the system.

Old 11-05-2016, 01:35 PM
Update... I got a pressure tester and was able to find a leak at the thermostat. I've replaced the thermostat and o ring and no more leaks there, however, the system continues to lose pressure slowly... About 2 psi in 20 mins. I cannot find any visible leaks, where would be the best places to look? Also, oil is not discolored and overflow tank does not bubble or smell like exhaust while truck is running. Frustrated and lost at this point...

Thanks in advance

Old 11-06-2016, 08:32 PM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Cooling system leak anywhere in the system.
Pressure cap,
either main hose,
heater hoses,
heater core,
radiator top or bottom seals,
Oil cooler seals.
A leak that slow often will dry up as soon as it hits the outside air when the system is hot and under pressure.
Look for traces of coolant on the outside.
You just have to look at every location.
A clue to leakage even without pressure testing is the absence of vacuum in the fill jug when the cap removed when cold.

Old 03-01-2017, 10:00 AM
Ok, updating this post with some new info...

Coolant leaks seem to have been resolved. Re-seated and tightened all hose connections, seems to have resolved the problem.

Periodic hard start condition continues. When it happens the situation is as follows... I turn the key over and the truck cranks but never starts. I can continue to hold the key down for 5 - 10 seconds with a very strong crank but no start. I then turn the key off, wait about 2 seconds, turn the on, wait about 2 seconds, then crank again, and it starts almost immediately. Wondering if this works because sometimes the fuel pump is clogged / malfunctioning and the first time cranking is kind of "priming" the pump... Which leads to...

I've captured 2 different noises with my phone...

The first noise is from the rear driver side which I assume HAS to be my fuel pump messing up (which might also explain the periodic hard start) and happens occasionally when turning the power on.

The other noise is under the hood and it happens EVERY time I turn the key to power on.

Thoughts?

P.S. I'm thinking the first noise is def the fuel pump dying but very confused by second noise...

Attached Files
File Type: mp3
Second noise - Under hood.mp3 (84.0 KB, 22 views)
Old 03-01-2017, 10:31 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Connect a fuel pressure gauge to the Schrader valve on the fuel rail. If you don't have at least 28 psi it probably won't start. When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

Old 03-01-2017, 11:59 AM
Fuel filter has been changed twice in the past 3 years and I don't put hardly any miles on my truck... I've tested the pressure before but have not been able to test when noise from tank is occurring. At this point, I'm debating on changing out the fuel pump anyways just so I don't get left stranded somewhere.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:15 AM
bump...

Anyone recognize either noise I posted?

Thanks,

Old 03-17-2017, 12:41 PM
One last time...

Can anyone help me out?

Old 03-18-2017, 10:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wckelly351
One last time...

Can anyone help me out?
Well that the problem with intermittent issues....it is HARD to pin down.

Your audio clips were not very helpful...poor quality. At least for me, I couldn't hardly hear them. But that might be on my end too?? IDK.

It might be time to let a reputable repair shop handle it. I DO get it , why spend good money on what in all likelihood is going to be a lot of diagnostics that may not yield results. Everyone biggest fear.

I'm not in favor of just replacing parts. As are those who already replied. As you know intermittent issues are hard to pin down. OFF hand, the reoccurring hard start unless you cycle the key on and off a few times really starts to point towards a bad fuel pump (FP), (which I suspect). Changing the FP is pretty labor intensive to go after on a "it might be". So I would replace lessor things 1st and see if things improve. I would replace the relays for the fuel system and ignition, (unless they already have been replaced). These relays are not that expensive, and by replacing them you can start to weed them out of the possible culprits. If that by chance this cures the intermittent start, great, you solved it without spending too much. I suspect that by replacing the relays that they won't completely cure things but offer minor improvement to problem. Whether you decide to continue with working on it yourself or letting a shop handle it...it helps point to the problem.

Quick Reply: Was hard to start, now starts and dies