1997 - 2003 F-150

m5od issues and fixes.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
m5od issues and fixes.

Hello,
Please excuse me if these questions have been asked before, I've tried using the search function but i could still use some help.

I have a 98 4.6 4x4 with a manual 5sp which is giving me some issues. Primarily I'm having a hard time shifting from first to second. Usually when shifting it seems like the truck just doesn't want to go into second at initially, rather i have to put the shifter almost in second and then when the revs go down it will drop in (some times with a clunk or grinding noise). Similarly, it also has trouble shifting into first, usually requiring the same process to get it in gear (and usually with the same problems).

So I'm trying to figure out the cause of these issues. I just replaced the trans fluid which didn't do much. I don't know that it is a clutch issue since it only happens in two gears. I'm leaning towards either syncros wearing out it worn shift forks.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions about what to look for or try i would love to hear them.

Thanks for reading.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:51 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Check the clutch fluid first off, but it sounds like the slave cylinder or the synchros might be on their way out. How many miles are on her?

Old 11-21-2014, 03:10 PM
Raptor thanks for replying

I'll make sure to double check that when i get in, but last time i looked it was pretty good. I'll also try bleeding the line tonight.

The truck has about 126,000 miles on it. Most of which i think were in town miles. Which may point to syncro wear.

Would a failure in the only affect certain gears or would it effect all the gears?

Old 11-26-2014, 07:36 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm not a transmission expert, but I think a slave cylinder would affect all gears while synchro will only affect each individual. But I've got over 400k on mine and I dog my truck DAILY. I'm wondering why mine haven't failed yet

Old 11-30-2017, 02:28 PM
I'm having the same issue with mine going into 2nd, and the problem is the syncro is worn... The reason for it, 99% of the time, is caused by the driver using the shift lever as an armrest.
I've continued to drive it, and it shifts fine when it's not warmed up, but once it does it wants to grind going into 2nd. I've figured out how to drive smoothly, by allowing the revs to drop between 1st and 2nd; either I'll just use 1st to get rolling at low revs, then gently shift to 2nd, or I'll take off normally in 1st, then allow the revs to drop back down...
In heavy traffic where faster takeoffs are needed, I'll just run it up in 1st, then skip 2nd and go right to 3rd...

Quick Reply: m5od issues and fixes.