1997 - 2003 F-150

Need HELP from Fourm on Decision

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 10:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need HELP from Fourm on Decision

I currently have a 99 f150 super-cab pretty much fully loaded except doesn't have leather. Had this truck for almost 2 years now. but when I bought it had alot of cosmetic issues as the bumper and right fog was busted, panel damage, bad paint on roof scratches and dings everywhere, guess previous owner went mudding alot or what not. Well to sum it up, anyways the body still looks like crap but its got a great power train never leaking, reliable, and has alot of power (I think). But here's where Im not sure I thought maybe I should I replace it with a 04-08 f150 not sure how good they are? or should I fix up the body, throw on some 18s with some decent toyo a/t and a 2.5" lift? not sure
By the way the truck I have has 157,000 miles on it.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:52 PM
With that mileage, fixing the body, cost of wheels/tires and then dealing with the rusty bolts to do a lift... probably gonna be into some $$$. But then again, getting a newer truck is going to come with a monthly payment. You'll have to make two lists of the overall costs to do each, then go from there. Also, only you can say if you have sentimental value on the truck you have now or would rather get into something newer.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:19 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Hard to beat a good running 97-03

Old 08-27-2013, 01:30 PM

I'd trust a 2v truck a 3v, and I have a 3v. But there's nothing that would keep me from buying an 04-08. Financially, it may or may not make sense to do body work on that truck. My guess would be no, especially if you know you're gonna want a newer truck at some point. If you're gonna keep the truck for 5+ years and the cosmetic repair bill comes in under $3k, you'll probably be alright. But major body work on an old truck is usually just a labor of love

Last edited by KMAC0694; 08-27-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:35 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the 2v 5.4 & 4.6 are among the most reliable engines ever made. The 3v's are not.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:31 AM
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
I'd trust a 2v truck a 3v, and I have a 3v. But there's nothing that would keep me from buying an 04-08. Financially, it may or may not make sense to do body work on that truck. My guess would be no, especially if you know you're gonna want a newer truck at some point. If you're gonna keep the truck for 5+ years and the cosmetic repair bill comes in under $3k, you'll probably be alright. But major body work on an old truck is usually just a labor of love
well yeah that's the thing though I would end up doing the panel repair and everything and paint. But I'm just not sure if it would be worth the money in supplies and time (alot of TIME).

Old 08-28-2013, 11:35 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jethat
the 2v 5.4 & 4.6 are among the most reliable engines ever made. The 3v's are not.
Not to derail this thread, but I have to disagree. You shouldn't have to replace 8 (or 10) coils as part of a routine tune-up. Spark plug spitting, intake manifold leaking, and fuel injector failing don't make me think reliability on the Ford modular.

The all aluminum 32 valve 1UZ-FE V8 in my SC400 has over 200k and I just replaced the original plug wires. In addition, if the engine ever fails, they can easily be had for $500.

Trending Topics

Old 08-28-2013, 01:34 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ishootstuff
Not to derail this thread, but I have to disagree. You shouldn't have to replace 8 (or 10) coils as part of a routine tune-up. Spark plug spitting, intake manifold leaking, and fuel injector failing don't make me think reliability on the Ford modular.

The all aluminum 32 valve 1UZ-FE V8 in my SC400 has over 200k and I just replaced the original plug wires. In addition, if the engine ever fails, they can easily be had for $500.
Police and taxi companies run the 4.6 up hundreds of thousands of miles.. The average lexis isnt as reliable as a crown vic. There are guys who do run there original coils hundreds of thousand of miles. It gets recommended on this board to replace them. They dont HAVE to be replaced until they fail. Plug spitting especially on the 4.6 is the exception not the rule. No engine is perfect but the 2v Ford modular is an extremely reliable engine. wards top 10 list 6 time at the very top of the lis a couple of those years.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by jethat
Police and taxi companies run the 4.6 up hundreds of thousands of miles.. The average lexis isnt as reliable as a crown vic. There are guys who do run there original coils hundreds of thousand of miles. It gets recommended on this board to replace them. They dont HAVE to be replaced until they fail. Plug spitting especially on the 4.6 is the exception not the rule. No engine is perfect but the 2v Ford modular is an extremely reliable engine. wards top 10 list 6 time at the very top of the lis a couple of those years.
Wards 10 best list has nothing to do with reliability. Notice it has the Northstar V8 on there?

" During a 2-month testing period, Ward's editors evaluate each engine according to a number of objective and subjective criteria in everyday driving situations – there is no instrumented testing. The selection takes into account power and torque output, noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) levels, technical relevance, and basic comparative numbers."

The average Lexus isn't as reliable as a Crown Vic? That simply isn't factual. Some reliability ratings are subjective, but I simply can't find any factual data to support your claim. Don't get me wrong, I love my truck, and I love my Expedition - but I don't trust them like I do the Lexus cars I own - and the Fords are both newer with lower or really close miles.

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story....ct=most_depend

http://corp.carmd.com/2012-manufactu....htm?subId=218

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/18-mo...-the-road-1#20

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...ncoln/1914527/

http://www.autosaur.com/most-reliable-cars/

http://www.gizmag.com/the-100-most-r...in-order/5657/

This is probably meaningless, but I'll post anyway. Here's the cluster from a running Lexus SC.

You're right, the coils don't HAVE to be replaced unless they fail, but we DO replace them because we know there is a good chance they will fail! I didn't replace my coils because I was doing a tune-up, I did it because they were failing.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:54 PM

For the OP. At 157k, I'd say there is likely life left in the truck if it has been maintained. If you can do the work yourself - yes, totally worth it. If you had to pay someone, probably not. Those are just my opinions. I would have ditched my truck after the second engine failure if I couldn't do my own work. FYI, the engine failure was my fault - not Fords - unlike the first engine.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Patman
Hard to beat a good running 97-03
IMHO, that's quite right. But, if there is a truck that could hang, I think a later one of the 04-08s with a 4.6L would do that much.

There is just so much more room with those taller fenders to look at the 4.6 in my newer truck. Even with my 03 having "just a v6", there are some tough reaches...

So, OP, if you can swing it and have a truck to get dirty with, you may as well keep the 99. It ain't getting you anything in a trade. I know my 03 wouldn't, because of the miles. I have one truck for work and one for playing around with, roadies, and maybe a work truck in a pinch.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:34 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
If you have a 97-03 with a 4.2 or a non-PI 4.6 and it has acceptable performance to you, a 04-08 with a 4.6 should also be acceptable.

Old 09-01-2013, 01:19 AM
Originally Posted by ishootstuff
For the OP. At 157k, I'd say there is likely life left in the truck if it has been maintained. If you can do the work yourself - yes, totally worth it. If you had to pay someone, probably not. Those are just my opinions. I would have ditched my truck after the second engine failure if I couldn't do my own work. FYI, the engine failure was my fault - not Fords - unlike the first engine.
Yeah, i guess main thing when I was researching about the 04-08 I found that the 5.4 3v was a "pita". Stuff like spark plugs breaking off when changing, vvt cam breaking.

Quick Reply: Need HELP from Fourm on Decision