1997 - 2003 F-150

f150 02' faulty link between PATS module and eec v

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 07:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
f150 02' faulty link between PATS module and eec v

I have a F150 that is flashing the theft light 1:6 which i have found means that there is a faulty link between PATS module and eec v.Well that's great but how do I fix it without costing an arm and a leg. I can turn the key on and off anywhere from two to fifty times to get the odometer to show numbers instead of the line of dashes. It runs after that but today it died while I was driving on the road.

What can I replace? what would the dealer have to to do?

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:23 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 05-01-2012, 07:28 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by fairlaner
I have my doubts about that thread since nothing electronic in the cluster relies on a fuel pump relay on any Ford I've ever seen.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
I have my doubts about that thread since nothing electronic in the cluster relies on a fuel pump relay on any Ford I've ever seen.
Jus wondering though... the PATS system would be integrated with the fuel relay circuit, which is what the original OP was leading to... i think.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:36 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Red02FX4
Jus wondering though... the PATS system would be integrated with the fuel relay circuit, which is what the original OP was leading to... i think.
No, it isn't. The PATS system and the fuel pump circuits are independent of each other. One would have to go back to the PCM Power circuit to find any commonality, primarily because the PCM must be properly supplied with power and operating for the PATS system, the fuel pump relay, and the odometer to all operate. The only possible relationship I can think of is that the output of the fuel pump relay is fed back to the PCM for self-monitoring purposes. Perhaps the PCM's programming disables the normal power-up initialization of the odometer display in the event that power from the relay is found to be absent. Just speculating...

I can find absolutely nothing in my Ford factory service documentation that supports the posted interpretation of a 1-6 flash code. As near as I can tell, that definition has originated from a UK Scorpio website and has since been repeated many times in reference to US models of various Fords. I can find no correlation between that flash sequence and any validated PATS DTC. The correlation might indeed exist, but Ford hasn't documented any such link.

I'd suggest that the OP go back and check for PATS-related DTCs in the HEC by using the Dealer Test mode (google stuff you don't know off-hand). That will give us a valid DTC (or confirmation) so we know which direction to point him.

If he wants to throw an inexpensive part at it that seems to fix the symptoms pretty often, replace the PCM Power Relay.

Last edited by projectSHO89; 05-02-2012 at 07:40 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:14 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by fairlaner
Then again, possibly not ...

Quick Reply: f150 02' faulty link between PATS module and eec v