1997 - 2003 F-150

Power Mirrors won't work

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 07:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Mirrors won't work

The power mirros on my 97 F 150 gradually stopped working some years back. I put on ohm meter on the different plugs of the switch and have continuity at the different plugs as I move the joy stick and shift from R to L. I checked the female plug and verified one slot does have power. As I understand it power comes into the switch through this plug or slot and is distributed to the slot going to the mirror motor depending on how the joy stick is positioned.

That said, I took a piece of wire and made a jumper from the power slot to the other slots expecting to get some movement in one of the mittors. Nope! Nada. What gives? Why, since power is at the switch and the siwtch seems to work, are both mirrors failing to operate?

Thanks,

Doug

Old 12-27-2010, 09:08 PM
Did you try taking the switch out of the equation and use a jumper wire from the b+ on the harness to the other connections on the harness try that. I had this problem and my switch was junk. 25$ part at the dealership and my mirrors work fine. If jumping the harness does not work then you need to make sure you have continuity from all the wires to the mirror motors and make sure the ground is not all corroded. If the wires are ok and the grounds as well, look at the mirror motors themseves. But it sounds like a switch problem. Might as well check all your fuses with a test light to while your at it.
Heres a link http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/74...-question.html to a thread with a switch diagram and the circuit diagram.

Last edited by piston91; 12-27-2010 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Adding link to wiring diagram
Old 12-30-2010, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the response. Ok, I tried putting a meter at the plug going to the motor and got some indication power was getting to the plug though not consistently. In the end though I just bought the new switch as I needed one anyway (the joy stick bulb was broken). New switch and walah...the motors still don't work. Now I have to look at the motors? It seems odd both would go out. How do even access the motors?

Just to spice things up as I have been working on the mirror issue now the remote keyless system won't work. Can I get a break? I tried resetting the system (8 cycles with key) to no avail. Actually, not only does the key bob not work it seems when I lock the truck the alarm does not set at all (no alarm system engaged flashing red light).

Any insight to this too?

Doug

Quick Reply: Power Mirrors won't work