1997 - 2003 F-150

Is My Mechanic Lying To Me?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is My Mechanic Lying To Me?

My Mechanic said that my 2001 F-150 with a 3" Body Lift and it has 130,000 miles, "has brakes that are no longer compatible with my truck because of the lift and new tires." Because of this i need new brakes and a new master cylinder and i need to take it easy on my truck he said. I went from a 265/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler RT/S to a 295/70/17 Nitto Terra Grappler. Also the lift is performance accesories three inch body lift. OR is the brake problem due to what i believe.... Going down the big mountains from Appalachian State with a trailer. What Do You Think?! Has any one had brake problems due to a 3 " body lift? Seems a bit strange to me. Didn't know body lifts changed the structural integrity to effect braking.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:18 PM
I dont think the lift would, but the added weight of the tires can, however I dont think from 265 to 295 is going to be THAT much added braking stress. However, that, plus towing in the mountains, yeah... that can be hard on brakes...

I wouldnt let them touch it. If you want to upgrade, You can upgrade to better roters and calipers and pads. Something a little heavier.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by 03Fx4JD
I dont think the lift would, but the added weight of the tires can, however I dont think from 265 to 295 is going to be THAT much added braking stress. However, that, plus towing in the mountains, yeah... that can be hard on brakes...

I wouldnt let them touch it. If you want to upgrade, You can upgrade to better roters and calipers and pads. Something a little heavier.
Yeah i dont think the lift did anything against the brakes. But he insisted that after a lift you have to upgrade your whole braking system.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:24 PM
the only thing i can think of that would effect ur breaking with a body lift is ur break lines getting stretched out and PA are decent kits and have most of that stuff covered (at least on on old sonoma they did). But the performance of the breaking shouldn't be effected now the larger tires, towing a trailer, and hills would cause more wear than a stock truck that drives on flat terrain. Upgrading ur pads and rotors wouldnt be a bad idea with conditions you have.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:54 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
adding bigger tires is going to affect your braking distance no matter what lift you have. the body lift has nothing to do with your braking.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:21 PM
if you are in need of new brakes, which you probaly are, your machanic is just trying to use the lift as something to make you think "jeez he's right". go to the local auto parts store and get a set of high quality pads and rotors all the way around, and tackle the job in a few hours in your own driveway. its an easy fix dont waste your money, good luck to you

Old 12-15-2010, 04:08 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Put a set of premium rotors and ceramic pads on it.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:21 PM
Now just remeber what HE said when you go through another set of brakes quickly.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:30 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
That's what I did for towing and she stops on a dime. And I have drums in the back lol.

The weakest link in our twin piston caliper systems is the ORIGINAL front brake lines. Upgrade those lines. Use braided lines and she'll stop like new, -even better.

I went with Cardon Calipers w/steel pistons and Brembo (heavy) rotors for the front. I also use Carquest lifetime pads in front. Nothing was real expensive, -definitely worth it.

Quick Reply: Is My Mechanic Lying To Me?