1997 - 2003 F-150

To tint or not to tint, that is the question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To tint or not to tint, that is the question...

I've read all of the threads about tinting tail lights: how-to's, hey look at mine, etc. I plan to drive my '01 White F150 4x4 Screw Lariat (no two-tone) with 153,000 miles until it dies or I can save up for a newer F150, whichever comes first.
My questions is will tinting my tail lights lower my chances of selling outright to the average buyer or trading at a dealer when the time comes?

Thanks,
BOMO

Old 10-14-2010, 01:06 PM
I don't think its going to be a make or break thing if its decent work. Depending on the type of lights you have you might want to go with PTM or DIY Harley type lights. One thing you have to consider is local laws when it comes to tinting lights, Texas its illegal. This is why I opted to open mine up and PTM the inside.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:11 PM
I should've been more specific. I have the flareside tail lights and I was planning to do the DIY VHT Niteshades on them. I'm pretty sure Missouri law only says the red must be able to be seen from 500ft away.

I've looked on eBay at some aftermarket ones, but like the look of tails that have been tinted with Niteshades better.

Assuming, I can do a decent DIY job. I think I will stick with the Niteshades since it's cheaper. However, this will be my first time doing anything like this. There's a youtube video I've seen that is pretty detailed on the how-to. I guess if I screw it up just have to start over or buy new lights.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:13 PM
Also, will I need to upgrade the bulbs, if I do the Niteshades?

Old 10-14-2010, 07:17 PM
Mine looked like this when I bought my truck

When I got done with them they looked like this

That's what I meant by Paint to match, if you have the clear ones. As far as the DIY Harley style I meant something like this thread if you have the red tail lights. Opening and sealing them would be the same for either process, just take your time opening them up and don't crack them, that happened on my first set of corners up front.

Either way you go its going to take time and patience. There's some good threads in the Technical Articles Forum for which ever route you take. If you do decide to open them use clear permatex to seal them back, I wish I would have, good luck!

Last edited by My01SCrew; 10-14-2010 at 09:19 PM. Reason: I'm a bad speeler
Old 10-15-2010, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the link to the DIY Harley lights, but since my truck is white and I'm going for the storm trooper look, I think the Niteshades will provide the look I want.

Will I need different bulbs to get adequate light from the tails with 2-3 coats of Niteshades?

Old 10-15-2010, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by BOMO
Thanks for the link to the DIY Harley lights, but since my truck is white and I'm going for the storm trooper look, I think the Niteshades will provide the look I want.

Will I need different bulbs to get adequate light from the tails with 2-3 coats of Niteshades?
You'd have to ask one of the guys that have theirs tinted, you could however mask off the main areas where the light comes through and do less coats over that area to help with visibility.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:49 PM
No I didnt need new bulbs for mine and I still have good visibility with 2 coats of nightshade and 3 coats of clear

Old 10-15-2010, 07:45 PM
I'm glad you replied joh408. Most of what I'm doing to my truck is modeled after yours (storm trooper style). Mine even came with the white tonneau cover when I bought it.
Thanks for the answer.
BOMO

Old 10-15-2010, 08:33 PM
Haha thanks, I love the storm trooper look and I haven't seen too many OBS storm troopers so its decently unique. Post some pics up when you get a chance

Old 10-17-2010, 09:32 PM
I could be wrong, but I think tinting the tail lights is illegal in all 50 states, which would make it difficult to trade the vehicle in at some point. I know its illegal in Texas.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:00 AM
Here's what the law says:

"Taillamps, reflectors--violations, penalty.

307.075. 1. Every motor vehicle and every motor-drawn vehicle shall be equipped with at least two rear lamps, not less than fifteen inches or more than seventy-two inches above the ground upon which the vehicle stands, which when lighted will exhibit a red light plainly visible from a distance of five hundred feet to the rear. Either such rear lamp or a separate lamp shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a white light the rear registration marker and render it clearly legible from a distance of fifty feet to the rear. When the rear registration marker is illuminated by an electric lamp other than the required rear lamps, all such lamps shall be turned on or off only by the same control switch at all times. "

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C300-399/3070000075.HTM

I would leave the reverse light untinted. I wonder if adding a brake light bar below the tailgate would both help with safety and remove any doubt of legality?

Old 10-25-2010, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by BOMO
Here's what the law says:

"Taillamps, reflectors--violations, penalty.

307.075. 1. Every motor vehicle and every motor-drawn vehicle shall be equipped with at least two rear lamps, not less than fifteen inches or more than seventy-two inches above the ground upon which the vehicle stands, which when lighted will exhibit a red light plainly visible from a distance of five hundred feet to the rear. Either such rear lamp or a separate lamp shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a white light the rear registration marker and render it clearly legible from a distance of fifty feet to the rear. When the rear registration marker is illuminated by an electric lamp other than the required rear lamps, all such lamps shall be turned on or off only by the same control switch at all times. "

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C300-399/3070000075.HTM

I would leave the reverse light untinted. I wonder if adding a brake light bar below the tailgate would both help with safety and remove any doubt of legality?
It appears your inspection criteria is not as strict as ours, however, it does state you are required to have two RED reflectors, which is typically built into the taillights. So...unless you add reflectors, its illegal to blackout the lens.

This is what ours says:
Shortened

2. Inspect for and reject if:

a. Required lamp or lamps are not present.

b. Lamp is not securely mounted to vehicle.

c. Lamp does not completely emit a red light plainly visible 1,000 feet to the rear.

d. Lamp lens is painted, missing, discolored, or does not fit properly.

e. Wiring is shoddy or electrical connections are poor.

f. Lamp is not wired so as to be lighted when head lamps or auxiliary driving lamps are lighted.

g. Lamp is obstructed by any part of the body.

h. Lamp lens is not red color.
i. Lamps are not mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable.

j. Lamps are not mounted on rear of vehicle.

k. Lens is cracked or broken to the extent that a portion of the lens is missing and/or separated, permitting light from the bulb to emit through the crack or break.

NOTE: Lamp lenses cannot be repaired with repair tape or repair kit.

Quick Reply: To tint or not to tint, that is the question...