1997 - 2003 F-150

"Low Range" light?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you CAN NOT switch from 4H to 4lo without putting it in nutral atleast with the floor shifter, it uses a totally different set of gears in the transfer case and if your in drive when you shift you will blow all the gears up. if your truck is letting you shift into 4l0 in drive there is something electrically wrong with it. with the floor shifter you physically can not move it from 4hi to 4lo without it in nutral.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:38 AM
H

Originally Posted by Bluegrass
Hold the phone here!
Do not assume it's a "correct asumption" to be able to shift into 4L as you had experieced, unless there is a possible fault present.
Reason:
The GEM modual 'requires' three signals as 'holdoff' protection before entering 4L.
They are a brake pedal signal.
A TR. selector neutral position signal.
A no speed signal from the PCM.
Reference user manuel pages 181-182.
Primary reasons are the huge difference in gear reduction that takes place may cause accident or injury to passengers, inside loose articles shifting, damage to transmission/drive train, loss of vehichle control and a large change in the shift program.
Example; think of what it would it be like is this could happen at 50 mph on pavment, gravel or slick road surfaces ; each could result in a different outcome.
Do not think for a minute that FMOCO would want libility problems from such results and therefore has built in the protections against 4L engagement.
Not to mention insurance companies libilities from such results would not stand for ''no protection' being built in.
Even cruise control has several ways to disengage as protection the motor does not add a runaway condition or add to panic braking reaction causing accident.
The torque convertor even unlocks at brake application to 'reduce' some of the motor's forward drive at the same time panic braking is needed.
You are free to disagree but these are the facts.
ok so i have an 02 f150 concerning the shift into 4x4 on the fly, in my manual it says u can shift on the fly but at a speed no faster than 15mph into and out of 4 high. But not 4 low, with this it said to stop first. And i tested this last winter when we got snow and roads iced up.

Old 05-16-2018, 12:28 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Michaelstew77
ok so i have an 02 f150 concerning the shift into 4x4 on the fly, in my manual it says u can shift on the fly but at a speed no faster than 15mph into and out of 4 high. But not 4 low, with this it said to stop first. And i tested this last winter when we got snow and roads iced up.
Before resurrecting an old, dead post, you should 1) see if it's worth resurrecting and 2) see if your "new" contribution to the post is actually correct. Your statement that the " manual it says u can shift on the fly but at a speed no faster than 15mph " is absolutely incorrect. Go re-read your owner's manual to verify.

Old 05-16-2018, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by Michaelstew77

You reopened a post that has been closed for almost 8 years.

2HI and 4HI are the same gear ratios, you should be able to go into 4HI at any speed, assuming proper road surface at the time you are making the change. 4LO is another matter. You should come to a full stop, or at least a very low speed, to change into 4LO.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:33 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
You should come to a full stop, or at least a very low speed, to change into 4LO.
You HAVE to be in neutral with your foot on the brake.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:43 PM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
In the 2002 Owner Manual, bottom page 179.
Heading; shifting 4H to 4L.
Bring vehicle to stop.
Depress Brakes.
Place gearshift in Neutral.
Move shift Lever through Neutral to 4L and hold until fully engaged. This could take as long as 15 seconds if any parts of the drive train offer resistance to operating.
Remember that 4L involves a gear change 'into' the total drive line that is not Synchronized by internal means,...…. for that function.
Good luck.

Old 03-22-2019, 03:39 PM
Low range light comes on when i start my 2003 ford f150 is it in 4 wheel low

What can i do

Old 03-22-2019, 04:54 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Is it really in 4 Lo? Lever shift or dash ****? What happens when you change selection?

Old 03-22-2019, 06:51 PM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
If you have ever put the transmission in 4L, you should know how it feels.
The gear ratio becomes very low. Can't miss this, and steering becomes hard making a turn.
Are you saying just the light comes on?
If yes, it's an electrical issue.
The light normally only comes on when the case motor goes to the 4L position and sends the signal back to the control module.
You have to provide more info than what little you provided.

Old 03-22-2019, 07:15 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
If you want to learn how the system works, take a look at this video.

Quick Reply: "Low Range" light?