1997 - 2003 F-150

So my truck got broken into

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 10:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well I had my back windows tinted dark but not the front ones however that will also change

also is it very difficult to just buy the door lock solenoids for a 1997 f150 and convert the manual locks to electric in order to delete the key holes

also it is not legal in texas to have 5% light transmission it has to be at least 25%, I just want to avoid problems in the future

Last edited by Stephen87; 06-02-2010 at 10:06 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lock Actuators

I dont think they are hard to install, but I have done quite a few. Best thing to do is have a drill battery handy so you can test everything before you wire it to the alarm and re-install the door panel. Be sure to get some dynamat or something to install behind it to keep it from rattling. Really not hard to do, just time consuming. Well worth the effort though IMO.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:32 PM
time consuming I do not have a problem with just so long as I dont get half way through the project and find out that it is next to impossible to complete, but i am gonna go ahead and get the two solenoids and wire them up before I get the alarms and also I am going to do this to delete the key holes

also just a regular old 12 volt drill battery will do or something more

Old 06-02-2010, 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by Stephen87
well my window is one solid piece but I plan to get an electric slider but only after I get a headache rack like the one pictured below

I also am trying to find a way to get electric locks out of manual locks to get the keyless entry
https://www.f150online.com/forums/pa...k-houston.html

Old 06-02-2010, 11:41 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Stephen87
time consuming I do not have a problem with just so long as I dont get half way through the project and find out that it is next to impossible to complete, but i am gonna go ahead and get the two solenoids and wire them up before I get the alarms and also I am going to do this to delete the key holes

also just a regular old 12 volt drill battery will do or something more
where in texas are you? for 70 bucks in parts i can have power locks and keyless installed in your truck in less than 3 hrs max.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:27 AM
I am in deep south texas like 1 minute from the border deep but I dont think it should be a problem to get it done myself, plus its something that I like to do, it one of those things that has led me to take pride in my truck

Old 06-03-2010, 08:31 AM
Technical Article Contributor

heres the kit i have and id suggest getting. ive installed 2 of these and they come with all the wires. run the power to the battery and mount the actuators and your good to go basically.

http://www.ford-power-locks.com/KEPL...50F250F350.htm

but if you do get a kit like this and get rid of the key holes in the handles what happens if/when your battery dies?

Old 06-03-2010, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by thejake1989
but if you do get a kit like this and get rid of the key holes in the handles what happens if/when your battery dies?
My girlfriend was concerned about this as well but I figured that most tow truck drivers have a "slim jim" to gain access for those that have locked their keys in.

I thought that the price of me having to repair and replace the door handles and the hassle of having your stuff taken would pay for the off chance that your battery might fail in the long run. How much power do the door locks use anyway? Hopefully there would be at least enough power left to get in. Fingers crossed.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:24 PM
I have dealt with a few cars that the batts were dead enough not to be able to use the fob. Also debending on how much of the lock you remove you wont be able to slim jim it. Not saying that they wont be able to get in but it will make it alot harder.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:36 PM
well the plan is that I learn enough about the wiring of the truck to have a small battery hidden in the cab to act as a back up in case the main battery fails also I was planning on installing an auxiliary battery

Old 06-04-2010, 12:17 AM
Originally Posted by Toyz
I don't think it's any secret.
I didnt know before you said it...

Old 06-04-2010, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by maddoughboy
I have dealt with a few cars that the batts were dead enough not to be able to use the fob. Also debending on how much of the lock you remove you wont be able to slim jim it. Not saying that they wont be able to get in but it will make it alot harder.
There should be two actuating arms in the door. One that goes from the exterior key lock to the latch (this is the one I removed in the Blazer) and lower in the door there is one that goes from the interior lock button to the latch. The latter should be able to be worked with a slim jim for those that know how.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If your going to be puttin that much money in your alarm from Viper, You might as well get the one that has Auto start on it too.
And bolt down your subs.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:13 PM
http://www.jimmijammer.com/ for your doors
FYI- thieves target dark tinted cars for the exact reason you guys are mentioning. Dark tinted car in a parking lot vs a car with no tint- 9/10 are going to be the dark tint, your saying to them- hey I have something valuable in here that's why I'm hiding it.
sean

Old 06-04-2010, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by poolboy1191
If your going to be puttin that much money in your alarm from Viper, You might as well get the one that has Auto start on it too.
And bolt down your subs.

I am debating on getting the remote start but the thing is that my truck has a manual transmission so if I leave it in gear its gonna go some where

Quick Reply: So my truck got broken into