1997 - 2003 F-150

what do you guys think???

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 02:12 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by mluna84
here is my dilemma: the rear end in my truck has started howling, so i know its time for a rebuild...my truck is an '03 screw w/ an 8.8 rear end..i want to install 4.88's however i was told that it is not recommended to put 4.88's in an 8.8... I would like to swap my rear end for a 975, which i can get for about $500, but by the time i put the gears in that, i'll probably be looking at around $800 bucks! With money being tight right now ( I just lost my job, mortage payment is #1 priority!!) I would like to make the most cost effective decision. so i guess my question is, would i be okay running 4.88's in my 8.8 until i can comfortably afford to do a 975 swap? or am i better off just doing the swap right now? thanks in advance!!

You sure it's that bad ? I would just hit with some new synthetic and modifier for now and take care of that mortgage. Unless you have another job lined up.

Howling usually isn't a big deal. Pop the cover, if 'it's bad, there will be evidence.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigdad8214
What he said, unles your gonna tow or somthing like that..... but just big tires, ur fine
the most I tow is a few bikes when we go riding, or a vw...nothing too extreme...its mostly just for the bigger tires..

Old 05-23-2010, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
You sure it's that bad ? I would just hit with some new synthetic and modifier for now and take care of that mortgage. Unless you have another job lined up.

Howling usually isn't a big deal. Pop the cover, if 'it's bad, there will be evidence.
i forgot to mention that it is starting to clunk when I accelerate from a stop...same exact symptoms the rear end on my previous truck started doing when that one went out...

i already inspected driveshaft and other things that may cause the clunk noise, everything looked ok.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:26 PM
thanks fellas for the input...i think im gonna stick w/ the 8.8 and put in 4.88's...what should i be looking to spend on the gears (parts only)??

Quick Reply: what do you guys think???