1997 - 2003 F-150

Problems with 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 02:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems with 4x4

I have a 2000 F-150 XLT x-cab and the four wheel drive is not working. It has the lever shifter and it will go into 4WD high and low. In low I can tell the gearing changes, but in 4WD low or high the front wheels will not pull. I checked fused 23 and 104 but they look good. I thought my next step would be to put it up on stands to see if the front drive shaft is turning. Does anyone have any other ideas.

Thanks, Doug

Old 06-12-2009, 02:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am not sure as to where they are located but I know that there are some vacuum lines that connect to a solenoid that engages and disengages the front differential you might want to find and check those lines, I will try and find my chilton guide to find out where they are

Old 06-12-2009, 03:06 PM
Old 06-12-2009, 03:08 PM
Thanks. I haven't crawled under it yet, but I plan to tonight. I will see if any hoses might have come loose. I also found on another forum that the motor that engages the transfer case goes bad fairly often. They suggested hitting it with a hammer. (not kidding) I'm going to try that too.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FixER^371
Thanks. I haven't crawled under it yet, but I plan to tonight. I will see if any hoses might have come loose. I also found on another forum that the motor that engages the transfer case goes bad fairly often. They suggested hitting it with a hammer. (not kidding) I'm going to try that too.
You do not have a motor to shift the transfer case. That is only if you have the dial to change to 4x4. You have a mechanical linkage, which might be loose or broke.
In your case, the problem could be multiple things, besides the linkage. If the 4x4 light does not come on, it could be a problem with the GEM module or the switch that says you have shifted to 4x4. If the front driveshaft turns, but are still not getting power to the wheels, it could be the solenoid that engages the front diff is bad. Or the vacuum line to the front diff is cracked or broken. If that isn't the problem, it could b the vacuum motor that moves the fork in the front diff has a problem, or the front fork that engages the diff is broke or jammed.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by F150NJ
they go down to under the truck to right in front of the front differential

but yea those are the start of them

Quick Reply: Problems with 4x4