1997 - 2003 F-150

instrument light bulb replacement

Old 01-19-2009, 10:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
instrument light bulb replacement

How do you go about replacing the instrument lights in the dashboard.
Simple task or major job (requiring profanity)
97F150
Thanks

Old 01-19-2009, 10:40 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Not hard, just long. I will do a write-up sooner or later, but all you need is a 7mm socket.

pop off A/c/radio bezel, remove screws.
remove headlight switch (do a search for it, its complicated)
remove screws all over the place and pull off dash. one by fusebox, 3 under the cluster overhang, etc
when you have it all done, remove the cluster and turn over and the big black twisty ones have the bulbs.

if you want to change the color, you can put in some white LEDs and the nighttime color will be blue instead of green:

as you can see, i missed one at the top

Old 01-20-2009, 01:13 AM
i did mine a while back. like Raptor said its not that hard just long. theres a ton of screws, and if its your first time taking the dash apart it can get frustrating. that headlight switch is also a PITA, its like a freakin puzzle. lol mine were great for a while, but turns out i got some defective bulbs. def. dont be ordering from V-LEDS.com anymore. they were pretty rude when i talked to them about it. anyways here the pics of mine. Name:  0524082053-00.jpg
Views: 10942
Size:  14.1 KB
btw i wouldnt put anything other than white or blue bulbs in there. there is a blue tint on the cluster and a different color bulb would probably come out weird

Old 01-20-2009, 01:16 AM
This is not that hard, I've had so much practice that I can do the hold remove/install in 30 min or less and yeah the headlight switch removal is a puzzle. Wonder if they changes bolt sizes cuz on mine they were 8mm, I think.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:01 AM
i know they changed the headlight swtich one some of the newer models. i was picking through a 2001 that was being parted out and its headlight switch simply pushed in and out. you didnt have to pull the **** off or anything to get it out

Old 01-20-2009, 02:57 AM
Originally Posted by MmmBuckles
....headlight switch simply pushed in and out. you didnt have to pull the **** off or anything to get it out
definitely not the case with the older ones...or the tabs may have been broken off. everyone i went through at the junkyard has locking tabs that hold it in place. the 1st time i took my headlight switch out it was kinda tricky. but now it's like 2nd nature. small thin flathead screwdriver or a pick tool (so you dont break the tab like i did the 1st time) & it can be out in 15-20 seconds.

btw, to the original poster.....if your interested, i have some blue LED's that i may be selling. i bought them with intentions of installing them in my 97. but i may go a different route now. pm me if interested.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:37 PM
thanks for all of the info. MmmBuckles did your odometer read 200 grand?

also the blue LEDs would Auto Zone and the like have those?

thanks again

Old 01-21-2009, 12:08 AM
Originally Posted by squid
thanks for all of the info. MmmBuckles did your odometer read 200 grand?

also the blue LEDs would Auto Zone and the like have those?

thanks again
yep. 225,844 right now. just put a built tranny in last week

ive never seen the right size bulbs at autozone before. they usually just have the blinker and brake light ones. check out http://www.superbrightleds.com for the bulbs. the small ones in the cluster are size 74. and the bigger ones are 194.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:21 AM

what about the window switch lights, headlight switch lights, basically all the green lighting? can it all be switched out?

Old 01-21-2009, 12:49 AM
Originally Posted by 1clean42
what about the window switch lights, headlight switch lights, basically all the green lighting? can it all be switched out?
you have to break apart the headlight switch to get to the bulb in there. and i wasnt able to find a replacement for it. as for the window switch i have no idea, i have manual windows. the a/c controls have two 194 bulbs in them. you can take off the a/c panel very easily when you have the dash off to get to the cluster

Old 01-22-2009, 08:21 PM
I've been researching this issue for a week now. The headlight switch was a bit tricky, but mine popped off easily so no complaints there. Pretty clever design, actually.
I'm still unable to get the instrument panel out because all instructions I've found say for automatic transmissions (which my 1997 has), to detach the gear transmission range indicator. Can anyone tell (or show) me how to do this?!?

Old 01-22-2009, 09:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
There are two pins at the bottom. Simply pull them inwards with your finger and it should pop off the bottom. It is a tiny seperate piece from the actual cluster. I have no idea how the actual cable part it hooked up, however I believe you can leave that attatched to the gear selector handle and just let it hang there as you swap out the bulbs.

and heres the back for an idea on the bulbs. the big black ones hold the 194's and alll the tiny white ones are 74's (annuctuator lights, ie: check engine, low fuel, etc)

a few were stuck in there, so I wrapped a towel around them and used pliars to turn COUNTER-CLOCKWISE to pop them off. if you break a few accidentally, let me know, I have a spare cluster (no tach) that I can sell you the bulb holders from.

Last edited by Raptor05121; 01-22-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:12 PM
with mine though. i didnt need to put bulbs in all of them. i had spots in my cluster for a 4X4 light and all wheel drive, which my truck does not have. so i didnt need those bulbs. i just left them empty

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: instrument light bulb replacement