Long Trail T/As: Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2002, 07:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Long Trail T/As: Opinions?

I know there is a lot of buzz about All Terrain T/As but I haven't seen too much by the way of opinion on the BFG Long Trail T/A.

I see them a lot on the road and I know they came standard on a good number of trucks. BFG says it's one of their most popular tires these days. But all the online reviews I have found are conflicting. One guy says they are great in snow another says they are like racing slicks!

I'd like to hear from guys who run these tires on their trucks, how they perform on various terrain- I know they are not an all terrain tire but how do they handle rain, snow, or a little mud?

(I had a set mounted but took them off after a few weeks when I went to a bigger wheel- so I only drove them on the highway in warm weather)

Thanks!

Last edited by BigHog; 06-11-2002 at 07:49 AM.
Old 06-11-2002, 08:09 AM
I have these in LT265/75-16 Load Range C on my company F-150 and was very disappointed at first. When new these things just want cause the truck to worm around all over the place. It did'nt seem to matter what I adjusted the pressure to either. After about 1500-2000 miles they just sort of mellowed out and now directional stability is great. the ride is pretty good. the traction is also ok, not great, just ok (snow traction is poor mod is better, it seems to be a temperature effect thing as the colder it is the worse the grip)

Overall I will pass on these and get the new Michilin Cross Terrains for my next set. (current Fav is the Michilin LTX M/S for general on-road with light off-road job site duties, all-season type tire.

BTW, I now have 188,000 trouble free miles on my 99 5.4L with none of the problems you here people complaining about here from time to time. I have wore through my share of tires (30-40k per set as I drive aggresivily through corners and on winding coutry roads), brakes (same reason), oil changes and cell phones

Last edited by Petrol; 06-11-2002 at 08:29 AM.
Old 06-11-2002, 11:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I replace the Goodyears that came with my truck with the BFG Long Trail T/A's back in December put about 11,000 miles on them so far the are doing fine as wear didn't get much snow this winter to find out how they do in that but they do better than the Goodyears did in the rain unless you do WOT in the rain then they are just like the Goodyears lots of wheel spin. I have a 4x2 so i don't know how well they would do off road.

Old 06-13-2002, 02:01 AM
I drove a mid 90's Chevy Tahoe that the BFG Long Trails came standard on. They were a good tire in terms of wear - they were going to last forever! General driving in dry and wet weather seemed to be just fine. Snow and Ice was another matter entirely. Flat out - they were no better than a set of All Season tires (which is really what these tires are). Traction getting worse with colder weather also fits - the rubber compound has to be hard in order to get long wear, but a softer compound is needed in colder weather. Tradeoffs everywhere...

Old 06-13-2002, 07:38 AM
Cool

Thanks guys.

I think I made the right decision to pass up the pretty Long Trails and order a set of good Cooper Discoverers.

The Long Trails do have a nice look, being a cousin to the All Terrains, but your experiences back what I suspected: they are average all seasons with the look of a truck tire.

My Discoverers (not the ST, or HT, the original type with the big, open tread blocks) should be in today and cost even less than the BFGs would have.

Thanks again. Looking forward to testing out my new rubbers in some mud next week!

Old 06-23-2002, 10:02 AM
Well I am sorry to hear some of the bad things about the long trails! I just bought a set 265/75-16's Load range e from Sams for $425.00 and so far (Approx. 5k) they are great!

I do a lot of highway driving and some off road and so far so good. the truck tracks much much better and there is no shake at any speed (Big problem with firestones)

I got the 75's because it is a little narrower which is better in the snow. My wife is from a town that gets over 200 inches a year and a lot of her familoy members hate the k/o's because they fill up with snow and get no traction the long trails however dig down and get pavement. Fat tires are better for mud/sand/rocks

I also believe most wheel spin is an effect of the right foot! I have no problems with wheel spin unless I want to!! LOL

just my .02

Old 06-23-2002, 04:27 PM
hcmq:

Just curious, where is your lady from where it snows 200 inches a year? I used to live in Central NY where it snowed from about October to April and I'm thinking of moving to Vermont which is similar.

I tried to visit sunny Maryland this weekend but turned back and went north due to the horrifc traffic on I-95! We used to spend a lot of time in Edgewood and really wanted to go for the weekend but, not this time.

Anyhow, I'm sure your Long Trails will serve you well, especially in highway use. In my case, I have a 4x2 so need all the help I can get when I leave the pavement!

-Take care

Old 06-23-2002, 06:27 PM
The BFG Radial Long Trail P275/60/17 came oem on my '01 Scab XLT Sport. Now has 13,000 miles. 2wd.

My opinion is very good on wet streets. No noise at all, better highway handling than my '00 with oem 16". Snow traction could be better, but I've got the 60 series and limited slip. Did not get stuck on pavement with a foot of fresh snow, though. Just now starting to show a little wear. One flat and that was last month.
Would I buy them again? Dunno. I suppose in about 3 years I'll find out.

Old 06-24-2002, 01:31 PM
Big Hog,

She is from Altoona PA in the mountains, they have hills like San fran and snow like the Rockies! They still use chains and tire studs big time! Their roads suck! And yes they average about 200 inches a year! (Except the last 2-3 same as every where else in the east)

There are lots of cool places in MD to hang out! Next time don't take 95 go west a ways on 80 then come south on 83 (To Baltimore)

Take it easy!

Quick Reply: Long Trail T/As: Opinions?