Width of 17" wheels on my '99 F-150

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2002, 03:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Width of 17" wheels on my '99 F-150

I have a '99 F-150 XLT ORP with 17" wheels. Does anyone know the width of those wheels?

I want to get some ProComp 35 x 12.50 x 17 tires, and they require 8" - 10" wheels.

Thanks!

Old 05-23-2002, 04:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
7.5"

Old 05-24-2002, 10:56 AM
PEOPLE HAVE MOUNTED THOSE ON THE STOCK 17 X 7.5 INCH RIMS.

Old 05-24-2002, 07:39 PM
Does anyone know the implications of mounting 35 x 12.50 x 17's on the stock 17" x 7.5" wheels? Pros? Cons?

Obviously, I stand to save substantial $$$ if I can avoid buying new wheels. But, I rather spend the $$$ than compromise my safety.

Any input is appreciated.

Old 05-24-2002, 11:08 PM
It seems that mounting the ProComps on stock 7.5" wheels is just fine. I don't have ProComps myself, but considered them and did a lot of asking around. Alot of ppl here have the 33x12.50 17 on the stock wheels and have had no problems.

Good luck with your new tires! I am sure you will like them much better than your stock GY wranglers

Old 05-25-2002, 01:36 AM
Thumbs up

I’ve got the ProComp 33x12.5x17 on the stock wheels & they do fit fine. No trimming and no rubbing. I have heard of a couple of other people putting the 35’s on stock wheels with no issues as well (with a lift of some kind). If the 33’s are mount on different wheels you will most likely have to do some trimming because they move the wheels out further.

Pros- save bucks by using the same wheels, wider tire, better traction, added ground clearance, no trimming, fills up the wheel well better, look aggressive.
Cons- hope you like the stock wheels, taller wider tire does not help handling, throws off your speedo.

I’ve driven about 6000 miles on some twisty roads and straight freeway driving dodging some falling road debris (old Chevy & Dodge parts), and it does not feel unsafe & hasn’t ever surprised me, just always remember this is a big, heavy, tall truck

In a nutshell- I say GO FOR IT!

Old 05-29-2002, 07:37 AM
kev
Originally posted by SilverSCrew 4X4

Pros- save bucks by using the same wheels, wider tire, better traction, added ground clearance, no trimming, fills up the wheel well better, look aggressive.
Cons- hope you like the stock wheels, taller wider tire does not help handling, throws off your speedo.
It may just be me, but it feels like I can round a corner just as fast with my 35s as I did with the stock lift and tires.

One thing that is very noticeable is that the bigger tires (mudders in my case) pull harder due to contors in the road, etc. Sometimes you kinda have to have both hands on the wheel.

My speedo is all wacked out but I don't care. I figure out mileage by ratioing the trip meter by the new to old tire diameters and I just make it a habit to read the speedo about 5mph lower then the speed I want to be doing. Maybe some day I will buy a chip which will readjust that speedo and odometer.

I get the exact same gas mileage with the 35s as I did the stock tires! For the first few months I was getting about 1 mpg less after the lift but lately I have been consistant with what I got before the lift (~300 miles per tank). I have the 3.73:1 LS gear ratio.

Of course the tall tires will decrease your performance very noticeably! My truck still pulls good though. I could imagine that those of you with the 3.55 rears have it much worse. A nice set of 4.10s or 4.56s would even things out nice.

kev

Old 06-04-2002, 07:20 PM
Backspacing needed?

I just got off the phone with the Tech Support at Fabtech & Procomp. I asked each, "If I were to install your suspension lift on my truck (and I described my truck), what (if any) additional things must I do to put 35s on my truck?"

Both said that I need a wheel with about 4 5/8" backspacing to keep the 35s from rubbing. Fabtech said that even with this backspacing, I would still need to do minor trimming at the back of the wheel well.

So, these guys are basically telling me that my stock (17" x 7.5") wheels won't do the trick. They suggest 16" x 8" or 16" x 9" wheels.

I'm not sure they actually tried to put 35s on the stock wheels. perhaps they're just guessing. Does anyone know for a fact (from personal experience) that these guys are wrong?

As always, thanks!

Quick Reply: Width of 17" wheels on my '99 F-150