Good Pads and Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2002, 01:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Pads and Rotors

I've been doing some research on brakes since mine need to be done. I've got 30,000 out of them so I am content.

1. Pads- I want as little dust as possible, however, this is not a light truck and would like to stop as quickly as possible. I imagine that the Carbon Metallic and the Raybestos Brutestop pads put out more dust then ceramic or titanium pads. Question is how much more? Anyone have any experience with them? I guess there is a tradeoff "stopping power vs. amount of dust"

2. Rotors- I had them turned for the first time around 20,000mi. I need them turned again 10,000mi later. Are there any rotors that are more resistant to warping then these OEM pieces of crap that won't break the bank? I have read that the rotors are "thinner" that is why they warp more easily, is this true?

Thanks!

Old 04-14-2002, 02:22 PM
[/start] Jeporday Theme [/stop] : )

Old 04-15-2002, 02:19 PM
I've never had any warping troubles with OE rotors.

Make sure you break in the new pads on them carefully as per instructions.

Don't drive through big water puddles with hot rotors.

With new rotors use a torque wrench on the lug nuts to make sure the rotor is seated perfectly.

Try JCWhitney for those performance rotors. Don't think they have them for the 4x4's though.

If you drive like a racecar driver (not saying that you do) then any OE setup won't last too long.

I can understand your frustration. Mine didn't warp till 50k miles and then it was time for pads/rotors.

Old 04-17-2002, 11:18 PM
got over 57000on rotors never been touched had pads replaced once.

Old 07-15-2002, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the response guys.

I called JC Whitney, they are going to call me back within 2 days. It looks as though the performance slotted/drilled rotors will be special order as well as titanium brake pads....that is if they can get them. Needs to be researched by them. They don't list anything for my '01 4x4.

What kind of local shops might I find these parts at? Pep Boys? Auto Zone? I am going to pep boys on my lunch break but where else might I can a quality performance parts at? I am looking to spend 400-500 on all 4 rotors and pads.

Thanks.

Old 07-15-2002, 03:19 PM
I stopped by Pep Boys and no luck with slotted/crossdrilled rotors (wasn't expecting them to have any) but they did have raybestos ceramic pads. The parts dude said that they were 'Dust Free". I read in another post that someone thought that they would get "White Dust" but the pads I saw were black.

Anyone have the Raybestos or any other brand of ceramic brakes? Do they Dust? If so, compar them to OEM pads. How do they stop the truck?

Thanks!

Old 07-26-2002, 03:41 PM
In case someone wants to know...

I am going with the raybestos ceramic pads.

The only place i can get slotted/crossdrilled rotors is carquest, for 150 each shipped to me. I am going with the standard rotors. I will swing the 400 for the rotors but 200 to ship them is crazy.

JC Whitney could not find titanium pads nor the performance rotors for my truck...'01 XLT 4X4.

Old 08-10-2002, 11:08 AM
For performance rotors you can try Praise Performance Brakes they have frozen slotted rotors and ceramic pads. I'm leaning towards them for my truck in the fall. Also Powerstop from Brakewarehouse.com has some cross drilled rotors, I was quoted $130. 00 a piece for my 98 4x4 Supercab for the front rotors, mine has drum rears.

Old 08-13-2002, 10:38 PM
Talking

HEY GUYS, LET ME START BY SAYING I AM A NEWBE TO THIS SITE. I THINK I HAVE THE ANSWER TO ALL YOUR BRAKE QUESTIONS. BY FAR THE BEST ROTORS AND PADS ON THE MARKET ARE BUILT AND SOLD BY STILLEN. I MAY BE BIAS(i work there) BUT I WOULD BET YOU COULDNT FIND A BETTER OEM SIZE ROTOR AND PAD COMBO THEN THE STILLEN SET UP. WE ALSO DO OFFER "BIG" BRAKE COMBOS FOR YOU BIG BALLERS OUT THERE!! I MEAN BIG. YOU CAN CHECK THEM OUT AT WWW.STILLEN.COM. CHECK THEM OUT. I WILL BE POSTING MORE INFO ON OTHER TOPICS VERY SOON. GOOD LUCK BRIAN HEDEKIN

Old 08-13-2002, 10:58 PM
Suspended For Violation of Vendor Rules
My buddy works at NAPA, they have slotted and drilled rotors for a decent price

Old 08-13-2002, 11:01 PM
HEDEKIN2

Thanks for the head up

By the way, I'm not sure what you menas by you'll be posting more info. but just in case, you should read through the Vendor Rules for the forum. You don't want Steve coming after you for braking the rules do you?

By the way, that URL isn't a good one.

Old 08-14-2002, 02:34 AM
HEY GUYS, SORRY I DONT WANT TO BREAK THE FORUM RULES. I WILL REWORD IT OK--- THERE IS A COMPANY CALLED STILLEN THAT MAKES VERY GOOD BRAKES FOR OUR F-150s. I AM SURE IF YOU LOOK THEM UP ONE OF THE GUYS THERE WOULD BE HAPPY TO HELP. I HAVE USED THERE PRODUTS IN THE PAST WITH "GREAT" RESULTS. SORRY AGAIN FOR BREAKING THE FORUM RULES(i just read them, just trying to help!!!) BRIAN

Last edited by HEDEKIN2; 08-14-2002 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-14-2002, 07:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by FamilyRide:

You don't want Steve coming after you for braking the rules do you?

Heeheehee, he said "braking" the rules.

Quick Reply: Good Pads and Rotors