Safety Siping ?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2002, 02:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safety Siping ?????

I recently purchased a new set of Path Finder SUV 255/70/16 tires. I was talked into have them "siped". For those who don't know what this is it is when they cut little slits in the tire to give them more traction as well as run cooler - or so Discount Tires claims.

From the heavy rains I have driven in these past 2 days I must say they will not let go of the road - excellent traction. The traction is so good it is sucking the crap out of my gas tank.

Has anyone ever heard of this and what are your feelings? It feels as though I am riding on 10 pounds of air in my tires. I am seriously debating whether or not trying to take them back.
They never mentioned seriously bad gas mileage with all the good things.

TommyRox in Flower Mound TX
www.mullenix.ws

Last edited by TommyRox; 03-20-2002 at 02:46 AM.
Old 03-20-2002, 03:03 PM
I think it does nothing more than cause the tires to cup easier. If it was such a great deal don't you think the tire manufactuer would have done it to begin with.

Old 03-20-2002, 04:02 PM
Could that cause any damage to the tire or premature wearing?

Old 03-20-2002, 08:30 PM
From what I gather, many tire manufacturers are begining to invoke siping into their molds. I have called many Discount Tire stores and they claim that they have never heard of performance degradation from this process. I am going to watch my mileage on this new tank and post the results.

TommyRox

Old 03-21-2002, 02:57 AM
Siping should not cause the tire to wear prematurely, UNLESS it is a more offroad than onroad tire...then you are cutting out more rubber than it needs to get the appropriate mileage out of it. But for A/T or lesser tires (in terms of offroad...) it should improve traction....BUT not decrease mileage... hope this helps...

Old 03-22-2002, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the reply - traction it did improve drastically. I can't get it to slide at all anymore.

TommyRox

Old 03-22-2002, 03:42 PM
actually I believe most tires incorperate sipping into the manufacturing process. When you read about a tires description it will VERY often address siping.

Old 03-30-2002, 12:21 AM
Cool

I have been told buy some guys at the tire shops that have siping machines that they spent alot of money on them and there is a big push from the the top to use them so they try and talk pepole into it as much as they can

Old 03-30-2002, 04:32 AM
TRK
Most non-off road tires do come with siping from the factory, especially all weather tires. Have you checked to see where they set the tire pressure? Every set I've bought have always been set about 5 pounds below the max pressure. Your tires will ride a little smoother like that, but they are less efficient at rolling. If you fill them right to the max you should notice a little less friction and mileage will slightly improve.

Don't overfill though or they will wear prematurely.

Good luck,

Tim

Old 03-30-2002, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the ideas - I am running them at 35 PSI and I am still not through with a full tank to check the mileage difference around town.

TommyRox

Quick Reply: Safety Siping ?????