Has anyone tried to price match on tires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 07:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone tried to price match on tires?

For example, the Eagle GTII is going for $130 a tire here in a 275/60/17. Tirerack.com has it for $80 a tire. Thats $200 difference for 4. So i called around, Sears and Wal-mart both told me to print the add and bring it in for them to match it. NTB said they would match and add $15 per tire for the shipping costs you would have incurred on line. I am still curious about sears because I called 2 local stores, one said it had to be a local competitors ad, the other said it could be any ad, as long as they could verify the price. I am just curious if others have done this. I dont know if they will deny me, when I bring an ad that is $200 cheaper.

Old 02-06-2002, 12:06 AM
I've had decent luck price matching tires around here. If its with a local shop, most will match price, no questions asked. With Tirerack prices, generally the shipping cost has to be added in to make the comparison fair. In my case, I actually found a shop selling the tires for less than Tirerack, which made my last decision pretty easy!

Old 02-06-2002, 07:47 AM
I have had no problem matching prices. I just put a set of Falken tires on my Screw. Firestone had them of $180 each and tirerack had tehm for 140 each. Got them for 140 no questions ask.

Old 02-06-2002, 08:27 AM
Word of caution - stay away from Sears!!! I worked there for 12 years (not in the automotive department), and I must say we were always having complaints about there work. I even took my car in there for a realignment and they really screwed it up. I am just letting you know this as a former employee and not a disgruntled customer.

By the way, I also have the Falken tires and love them!!!

Old 02-06-2002, 11:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
www.tirerack.com
www.etires.com
www.discounttiredirrect.com

I had priced Michelin LTX AT LT265/75R16 at the above sites and found "discount tire dirrect" to be the cheapest when includeing shipping.

But then I also factored in state sales tax, mounting and balancing, stems, disposal fees...my best over-all deal was at a local tire chain called "Tires Plus" .

https://www.tiresplus.com

The tire only cost was $140.99. They also have a $5 off per tire internet printable coupon available. Not only was it cheaper, but I didn't have to hassle with securing the delivery, and hauling the tires around to get mounted.

Last edited by sagittarius; 02-07-2002 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-06-2002, 01:08 PM
Another thing to think of, a place like "Tires Plus" gets a lot of their tires from Tirerack.com, and then put a little "add" so that they make money on the tires. That is what I was told when I just got my most recent set of Bridgestone Dueler ATs. Just something else to keep in mind.
David

Old 02-06-2002, 03:40 PM
One more thing - Tirerack is great when it comes to customer service. I had Goodyear tires on my wife's delSol for years that were installed by a Goodyear dealer (I am not bashing them, because my grandfather retired from Goodyear and I have had many good sets of their tires). When I went to order a set of Bridgestones from Tirerack that were the same size, they called me back and recommended going with a different size (factory size) because the ones that I was currently running did not have a high enough load rating for the vehicle. I thought this was great, especially since there was no price difference in the two sizes. So I ordered the Bridgestones and took them to the Goodyear dealer to have them installed

Old 02-07-2002, 02:05 PM
dont forget price club/costco if you have one in the area

thats where i got my michelins cheaper than any area tire/retail store.

Old 02-10-2002, 09:46 PM
I've tried to find Michelin Cross Terrains and believe it or not, so far the cheapest has been my local Discount Tire store and their basic full pop retail price! Adn they even wanted $129 each for the stock Generals that tirerack sells for $60. Tirerack is $1 more that Discount.

I've not paid full price for tires in 10-15 years. Usually it's simple, call Discount and NTB and start the bidding. Right now, everyone wants big money for the Cross Terrains!

Old 02-11-2002, 12:47 AM
I remember when that tire first came out and we recieved our first shipment. I was amazed at how cheap they were! now, a year later, the popular sizes are about 20 more a pop!

Quick Reply: Has anyone tried to price match on tires?