abs light, now spongy brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 06:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
abs light, now spongy brakes

Hi, new to forum and new to f150s . Bought a 98 last week in good shape for the year.
A few nights ago I hit a pot hole and abs light came on then about 50 yards down the road I hit another and the light went out! Not long after I noticed my pedal wouldn't return the whole way and brake lights stayed on unless I flipped pedal back with my foot. Pedal has lost its spring.
Could a bad abs wheel sensor cause this or maybe do I have to adjust the bolt on booster? Any ideas?
Thanks

Old 02-14-2014, 12:34 PM
I would recommend getting it checked by a dealer.

Its unlikely that the ABS light and the pedal issue are related.
Its hard to say for sure though.

For the ABS - you might have a connector going bad. A bump knocked it loose and another bump knocked it tight.

For the pedal, it could be just that the sensor needs adjusted. Or there could be something broken that is preventing the pedal from returning. Its hard to say based on this short description.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Check your rear brakes and the 2 are most certainly related. in 98 ABS was rear wheel only so the light coupled with the spongy pedal means your rear brakes are likely due for an overhaul..

Old 02-14-2014, 08:37 PM
Thanks, good to know abs is only in rear brakes

Old 02-14-2014, 08:40 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
4 wheel ABS was an option in 98, so you could have either rear only or 4 wheel.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:42 AM
I don't have a ton of mechanical experience so I'll try some of the easiest things first,adjust rear drums as I don't think they were grabbing well to begin with and check abs sensors.there are no fluid leaks that I can see.if that doesn't work I'll take it to a mechanic.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:08 PM
Adjusted rear brakes,still spongy. Found that the fitting where vacuum hose attaches to manifold was half rusted off,figured that was my problem. Fixed vacuum hose still spongy!
Think tomorrow if weather is fit I'll bleed the brakes to see if there's air in the lines.

Old 06-24-2018, 12:00 AM
Originally Posted by eastcoastsoxfan
Adjusted rear brakes,still spongy. Found that the fitting where vacuum hose attaches to manifold was half rusted off,figured that was my problem. Fixed vacuum hose still spongy!
Think tomorrow if weather is fit I'll bleed the brakes to see if there's air in the lines.
im having the same problem i just change my mastercylinder,brake booster,brakepads,disc,rear cylinders,rear axel bearing ,new rear brake hardware, new abs sensor. AND MY ABS LIGHT IS ON I HAVE SPONGY BRAKES I DID BLEED ALL 4 LINES IM LOOSING MY MIND WHAT ELSE CAN IT BE HELP PLEASE .. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Quick Reply: abs light, now spongy brakes