Anyone running nitrogen in tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 08:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone running nitrogen in tires

The guys at 4WP here told me thye have been experimenting with installing nitrogen instead of air. They say the benefits are: no cold spots, no loss of air due to temperature changes and it helps protect the temperature sensors because there is no water vapor in the nitrogen. Anybody tried it????

Old 05-14-2009, 08:59 AM
Waste of money. Just maintain your tires. The only "benefit" to using nitrogen is being lazy.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:04 AM
Not worth the money. It was all the craze when gas prices were high and it supposedly saved on gas. I don't buy into it. I filed it with respect to usefulness, right next to a TB spacer. About the same cost and similar help. Not being totally negative, the nitrogen in tires MIGHT (slightly) help those with extreme cold and maintaining air pressure (not an issue here in SW FL.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:52 PM

I'm running it in mine, because that's what the tire shop used. Can't say that I've noticed any difference in the short time I've had the new wheels and tires on.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by DeereGeff
I'm running it in mine, because that's what the tire shop used. Can't say that I've noticed any difference in the short time I've had the new wheels and tires on.
do a burn out with them and see how much build up u get

Old 05-14-2009, 09:15 PM
I have yet to hear a good excuse to pay for filling your tires with nitrogen

air is like 78% nitrogen anyway right?

Old 05-14-2009, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by LoneRanger93
I have yet to hear a good excuse to pay for filling your tires with nitrogen

air is like 78% nitrogen anyway right?
Yes it is.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:27 PM
i think helium would make more sense, better yet radon

Old 05-15-2009, 12:51 AM
Costco around here uses nitrogen at no extra cost, can't say I have noticed anything different with it. I wouldnt pay extra to have it, but who really knows anyway?

Old 05-15-2009, 06:27 AM
Originally Posted by smokestone
The guys at 4WP here told me thye have been experimenting with installing nitrogen instead of air. They say the benefits are: no cold spots, no loss of air due to temperature changes and it helps protect the temperature sensors because there is no water vapor in the nitrogen. Anybody tried it????
There are certainly benefits to using nitrogren in tires. Mostly in a racing environment where you need to control as many variables as possible. Nitrogen for a daily driver is a waste of your money. Tire shops or whomever are just using it as a marketing tool to trick unsuspecting and uneducated (topic specific) consumers into spending more money.

If they will offer it to you for free, go for it. But don't spend a penny for it.

What's this about temperature sensors in tires? Pressure sensors are surely there, but did the Fed's take that one step further?

Old 05-15-2009, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by svt2205
What's this about temperature sensors in tires? Pressure sensors are surely there, but did the Fed's take that one step further?
my bad. fingers and brain not always connected. I meant "pressure". Thanks.

Anyway, I wasnt planning on spending no more than about $5 a tire, If I see it helps maintain the pressure, I was going to put it in the tires on my boat and travel trailers. There is nothing worse than being in remote areas, having a low tire, and worrying about towing in 100 degree weather we have down here.

Maybe I am just being lazy. But if it does work why not do it. It could be cheap insurance against a blow out on a 2 lane highway in the middle of nowhere

Old 05-15-2009, 11:57 AM
I have nitrogen in my tires just cuz that it was the shop used to fill them

i do alot of driving 100 miles a day to and from work. so when the guy told me it helps to maintain tire pressure i said sure why not. i have 56000 miles on the OEM tire (second set) and they still have good rubber left on them.
since i had those tire put on with nitrogen i have only add air once to the front passenger.

i am sure you would get the same results if you mantain the air pressure no matter what you use to fill them

Old 05-15-2009, 12:22 PM
My tire shop does it for $7.00 a tire. You pay it one time with them. If you come back in and have tire work done, they refill them at no cost after the first time. I honestly think it is a scam. I am surprised at how many people do it.

I saw a diagram that explained pure nitrogen molecules are much larger than ambient air. So they are less susceptible to leaking and temp changes. Oh well. No nitrogen for me.

Last edited by fordmaster; 05-15-2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:34 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I'm sure the benefits are real. But will they actually pay off fiscally? Will the lighter weight save enough fuel to pay for itself? Will it allow your tires to run an extra couple of thousand miles?

Old 05-23-2009, 12:36 PM
i have nitrogen in my tires. ford put it in when i bought my truck. i am yet to have to add more to my tires. keeps a consent psi. a lot of people recommended it to me for big rims also.

Quick Reply: Anyone running nitrogen in tires