Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > Wheels, Tires & Brakes
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Wheels, Tires & Brakes

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-05-2007, 07:37 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Allegany, NY
Vehicle: 2006 Ford F150
Posts: 64
315/70/R17 BFG AT KO'S with 2.5 leveling??

Ok, first post here. I've got an '06 Fl50 XLT 4x4 reg cab flareside, have a 2.5" leveling kit(not installed yet) and found a source for a set of 4 lightly used 315/70/R17 BFG AT's for $300!!!!!!!.

I would have snapped them up quicker than I could reached for my wallet, but am unsure if this 35x12.5 tire will fit on my truck with just the 2.5" level kit with out rubbing too bad.

I was planning on getting the 305's in this same tire, but I don't think I can pass these up. Heck, even if they don't fit, I could just sell them for twice as much right?
Think I just made up my own mind

So has anyone tried this setup with this specific tire? I don't want to hear opinions, I want to hear answer's based on experience.

Last edited by alpin45; 12-05-2007 at 07:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-05-2007, 07:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 2007 Ford F-150
Posts: 829
i believe its pawpaw who has them on his truck with just a 2.5 spacer kit with the 315/70/17 bfg at's
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-05-2007, 08:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lockport, La.
Vehicle: 2013 Ford F-150
Posts: 4,210
Yes they will fit as long as you keep them on the stock wheels or aftermarket wheels with close to stock specs. Mine fit and ride great. Click on the little camera icon to see what they look like. Oh, and by the way welcome to the site!
__________________

2013 Platinum 4x4...Ingot Silver with pecan interior...Ecoboost with 3.31 Elec.lock rear...Huskyliner's front and rear...F150 bed mat...BakFlip VP bed cover...Toyo 275x60x20 AT2's... Tinted front's...Bilstein 5100's front and rear...Boost Bar.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-05-2007, 08:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Allegany, NY
Vehicle: 2006 Ford F150
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawPaw
Yes they will fit as long as you keep them on the stock wheels or aftermarket wheels with close to stock specs. Mine fit and ride great. Click on the little camera icon to see what they look like. Oh, and by the way welcome to the site!
Thanks PapPaw!
Those really do look sweet. I'm def gettin them! So did you have to do any trimming and do you have any rubbing?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-05-2007, 08:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lockport, La.
Vehicle: 2013 Ford F-150
Posts: 4,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpin45
Thanks PapPaw!
Those really do look sweet. I'm def gettin them! So did you have to do any trimming and do you have any rubbing?
When I bought the tires I had them on 17x9 wheels with a 5" backspace and they rubbed on the lower wheelwells when making hard turns. I trimmed a little and they still rubbed slightly. I ended up putting them on 17x8 wheels with 5 1/2" backspacing and they don't rub at all ,even doing some minor offroading. I would go for it at the price you can get them for!
__________________

2013 Platinum 4x4...Ingot Silver with pecan interior...Ecoboost with 3.31 Elec.lock rear...Huskyliner's front and rear...F150 bed mat...BakFlip VP bed cover...Toyo 275x60x20 AT2's... Tinted front's...Bilstein 5100's front and rear...Boost Bar.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-05-2007, 08:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Seattle
Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150
Posts: 133
Its me.
Both Trucks.
Look at my gallery.
__________________
2007 DSG F150 SuperCrew 4x4
2004 White F150 Reg. Cab 4x2
2002 Honda CRF 450R 2x1 :D

1995 Mustang GTS
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-05-2007, 09:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Allegany, NY
Vehicle: 2006 Ford F150
Posts: 64
Ok, great so I will be fine for now with the ugly stock wheels until I find something else? And I hate to admit it, but I have no idea what backspacing means or designates. Could you please elaborate a little? And what is the width of the stock wheels? 7.5"?
Thanks alot I appreciate the help.



Quote:
Originally Posted by PawPaw
When I bought the tires I had them on 17x9 wheels with a 5" backspace and they rubbed on the lower wheelwells when making hard turns. I trimmed a little and they still rubbed slightly. I ended up putting them on 17x8 wheels with 5 1/2" backspacing and they don't rub at all ,even doing some minor offroading. I would go for it at the price you can get them for!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-05-2007, 09:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lockport, La.
Vehicle: 2013 Ford F-150
Posts: 4,210
The stock wheels are 7 1/2 inches wide with 5 1/2 inches of backspacing, this applies to the 17 and 18 inch factory wheels on 04 models and up.
__________________

2013 Platinum 4x4...Ingot Silver with pecan interior...Ecoboost with 3.31 Elec.lock rear...Huskyliner's front and rear...F150 bed mat...BakFlip VP bed cover...Toyo 275x60x20 AT2's... Tinted front's...Bilstein 5100's front and rear...Boost Bar.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-05-2007, 09:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: cairo,ga
Vehicle: 2005 ford Expedition
Posts: 28,090
Backspacing is the distance from the mounting surface of the wheel (where it bolts to the hub) to it's rear edge.
__________________
2005 Expy, 305/45-22 Falkens on 22x9.5 Eagle 026s.
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2" lift, 33" BFG AT KO's on 17x9 Eagle 197s.
2012 Ram 2500 crewcab diesel. 5" RCX lift, 355/60-20 Nitto Terra Grapplers on 20x9 KMC XD Spys.



Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-05-2007, 10:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Allegany, NY
Vehicle: 2006 Ford F150
Posts: 64
Ok, thanks guys. One more question. I just looked at the leveling kit I bought, I got it off ebay as a 2.5" kit, I just measured the spacers and they are only 1.75" tall?!
Am I incorrect to think a 1.75" tall spacer would only give 1.75 inches of lift and the guy on ebay screwed me , or is there something I am missing here?

This is the one I bought http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...194429924&rd=1

Last edited by alpin45; 12-05-2007 at 10:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-05-2007, 10:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Vehicle: 2005 Ford F-150
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpin45
Ok, thanks guys. One more question. I just looked at the leveling kit I bought, I got it off ebay as a 2.5" kit, I just measured the spacers and they are only 1.75" tall?!
Am I incorrect to think a 1.75" tall spacer would only give 1.75 inches of lift and the guy on ebay screwed me , or is there something I am missing here?

This is the one I bought http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...194429924&rd=1
You are forgetting the rules of geometry. The spacer adds height to the coilover, which supports the lower control arm. The control arm travels in an arc, up and down. By lengthening the coilover, you're forcing the control arm down in it's arc of travel, and moving the ride height up. The tires are mounted further away from the pivot point than the coilover, so a change of 1.75" at the coilover mount becomes 2.5" at the tire. Make sense? Just make sure to get an alignment afterwards.

And with the right wheels, the tires will fit fine and look great. Do it!
__________________
2005 F-150 Supercrew FX4
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-05-2007, 11:23 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Allegany, NY
Vehicle: 2006 Ford F150
Posts: 64
Wow, I could not have asked for a clearer explanation, very definitive. Makes perfect sense, thank you very much!
Boy I love this forum! I posted my first question only a few hours ago and everything has already been cleared up!





Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen S
You are forgetting the rules of geometry. The spacer adds height to the coilover, which supports the lower control arm. The control arm travels in an arc, up and down. By lengthening the coilover, you're forcing the control arm down in it's arc of travel, and moving the ride height up. The tires are mounted further away from the pivot point than the coilover, so a change of 1.75" at the coilover mount becomes 2.5" at the tire. Make sense? Just make sure to get an alignment afterwards.

And with the right wheels, the tires will fit fine and look great. Do it!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:23 PM


 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:46 AM.





This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company
 
Contact Us Advertising Privacy Statement Terms of Service Jobs Forum Text Archives
Emails & Contact Details