HELP... brake pads/rotors??? replace!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 07:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP... brake pads/rotors??? replace!?!?

hey all.. i was installing my levelign kit the other day, and i noticed that there was an indention on the rotor from the brakes, but it was minimal.. like.. very little cut out. and i was tlaking to my brother in-law, and he said something about brake clips, and rotating them, or some kina bla bla.. i dont speak the break language, so i didnt really understand.

my main question is, if its minimal damage to the rotor, then can and how soon should i replace the pads, and how much, and is it worth doing by my self, or just have someone do it. NOTE: i have never done anything with brakes.

by the way, i have a 06 4x4 150, with 16,500 miles. and havnt replaced pads yet.

and i hear that the 150's eat pads up. (ALONG WITH GAS) lol...

thanks for ur help!!!!

was htinking about gettin pads this week.. like.. tomarrow.. so help asap would be greatly appreciated!
-david

Old 12-06-2006, 07:37 PM
sounds to me like the pads do need to be replaced. theyre not too hard to do and its pretty much a straight forward process. but you can run into problems and if you dont know what youre doing then you may run into trouble trying to fix them. ask your brother in law to watch you do them. sounds like he can guide you along the way. ofcourse you could always go to meineke or something and theyll give you lifetime pads for free but take someone with you who you trust or they may try to screw you over.

as far as the rotors go, cupping does need to be replaced. you can get them turned (meineke will do it) or just replace them. if youve got the money to do it then id go ahead and upgrade the rotors. i wouldnt replace with OE parts but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Old 12-06-2006, 07:49 PM
hey thanks for the quick reply, all i have money for right now, is barely the pads, but its somehting i haveee to get done, so i can do it. but what would it cost me to do jus thte pads and have em installed.. vs gettin the the rotors done, (fixed) and the pads also..
thanks alot for ur help.
-david

Old 12-07-2006, 02:05 PM
You should be ok in my honest opinion, I think I have the same groove you do, just happens. If your 06 has brakes similar to my 00, there should be a steel clip/ slider the pads fit into. On these should be really small tabs that for some reason never get folded. I had this clip actually ride against my rotor while driving, very loud. If you hear no noise, the pads have good life left and a small groove is there and don't ask me why it just happens, maybe a piece of something gets stuck, I don't know. Ride it out a while and see. My suggestion for brakes are Carquest "blue" pads and the better rotors, usually 2 choices there. Total for parts should be under 200.

Old 12-07-2006, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by F150_B.F.D.M.
hey thanks for the quick reply, all i have money for right now, is barely the pads, but its somehting i haveee to get done, so i can do it. but what would it cost me to do jus thte pads and have em installed.. vs gettin the the rotors done, (fixed) and the pads also..
thanks alot for ur help.
-david
You'll have a lot of trouble finding a shop that will install just the pads. And even the slightest groove in the rotors will be deemed un-turnable, and replaced. And if your calipers look dirty, you'll need those too.
I would just pull the wheels and see how much life is left on the pads, and go from there. If the truck doesn't shudder when you apply the brakes, go ahead and replace the pads if there less than 50%.

Old 12-07-2006, 06:53 PM
My pads are gone on my truck and it shudders a little bit while coming to a stop what do i do now?

Old 12-07-2006, 07:57 PM
Pony up and buy some brakes my boy.

Old 12-08-2006, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by HiVoltage14.4
My pads are gone on my truck and it shudders a little bit while coming to a stop what do i do now?
You buy new brakes.

Old 12-08-2006, 07:31 PM
lol.. hey all, i asked my boss at discount today, about the brakes, and he immidiately said bc i pnly have 16,500 miles.. that i shouldnt need new brakes, andthen looks at the pads, and said, deff not, and then i showed him the right side rotor, and he said it does have an indention, but to take it to ford and have them rotate it. ::warranty::... so .. thanks for the help tho!!

Old 12-08-2006, 08:57 PM
I didnt thing the rotor would be under warranty. I thought it would considered as wear and tear. I will be installing some Duralast Gold front pads in the morning along with my 2.5 AS

Quick Reply: HELP... brake pads/rotors??? replace!?!?