ABS light. Is coming on more and more. Now, its snowing, what;s a basic list of probs

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 08:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS light. Is coming on more and more. Now, its snowing, what;s a basic list of probs

OK I need basic ideals of what you think might be the prob. I have to go into a search to see if others have had this as common probs are usually posted up. But anyhow, if you dont feel like explaining everything, go ahead and post a link for me to read. Its fine.

OK, I slam the breaks and it'll pulse and then locked in the snow.

Its an EBauer 4x4 expie 99.

So what are the things you can think of.

I heard, brake fluid, or the module. But the guy at autozone told me the moduel itself could be anywhere from $400-$600. aRE you serious?

F that. I already spent $6000 on the motor as it blew a plug, I spend much more on other things like rotors, new radiator, DPFE sensor, DPFE solenoid, and then the motor in the rear windshield is acting up, my window 80% of the time on the drivers side comes up at an angle and you have to grab ist and pop it upwards in the correct way and it'll go up.

I have had nothing but probs.

Don't get me started on the ranger I bought 3yrs ago.

Anyhow, what do you think?

Thanks

Old 12-07-2005, 08:17 PM
It may not be a problem. If you are locking up a wheel in the snow then the ABS is seeing a big difference in wheel speeds. If i lock my wheels up in the snow i immediately let off and reapply the brake.

When exactly is the light coming on?
Have you bled and flushed the brakes recently.

Old 12-07-2005, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by lees99f150
It may not be a problem. If you are locking up a wheel in the snow then the ABS is seeing a big difference in wheel speeds. If i lock my wheels up in the snow i immediately let off and reapply the brake.

When exactly is the light coming on?
Have you bled and flushed the brakes recently.

no man. Haven';t bled them since I bought it. That was 1 yrs ago and the owner probably hadn't done it either as the radiator had mixed coolantrs in it. Orange and green...

As far as the brakes no. I can just go and slam the brakes and it locks and i slide.

The light now comes on everyday.

Like if I pull out of the parking lot and to a stop sign, but hit the brakes harder than normal. Like if I was going 25 and hit the braker slike yourt in a rush to get somewhere the light comes on. (without the snow of course, tonights the first day of snow for the season out here in Oklahoma....)

Old 12-08-2005, 07:30 AM
I had a similar situation on my 99 2wd. The light would come on when the road was wet and go off when the vehicle dried out. It turned out to be one of the axle sensors in the rear. The price of the part was less than $20.

I know your grief about this model. I blew a plug out on an entrace ramp, have replaced springs, ball joints, tie rods, water pump, alternators, brake calipers, air conditioner, and still I have no cruise control....

So much for ford quality, but I guess I should not complain. Owning this truck has made me a better mechanic, and what would I have done with all the money I spent on repairs anyway?

Old 12-08-2005, 08:20 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My ABS light wiill come on if I make a hard right or left turn from a stop.
It stays on until the next time I start the truck.

I suspect an axle sensor and haven't worried about it.

For me it's kind of a warning light that says,
"You're driving me too hard."

At least when I go to the dealership I will be able to duplicate the problem.
I'll just pull in there like a bat outa hell.

Old 12-08-2005, 07:52 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, if I were working on your truck, I'd start by watching a graph of each of the ABS sensors while driving to see if any are producing a noisy or erratic ABS signal. Intermittent ABS operation can almost always be tracked back to a faulty speed signal.

Old 12-08-2005, 09:16 PM
Replace the ABS sensor. It's a lot cheaper than the module.

On my Ranger the sensor went out. The OD wouldn't work. The cruise control wouldn't work. The speedo went crazy.

Old 12-09-2005, 11:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is the light "ON" or flashing? I know on my 99 E150, according to the manual and the one time I ever had a problem with it, errors are supposed to cause it to flash corresponding to a code. Then I was able to look up that code and figure out where the problem was. Made my diagnosis a lot easier.

Old 12-09-2005, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Clifford f150
is the light "ON" or flashing? I know on my 99 E150, according to the manual and the one time I ever had a problem with it, errors are supposed to cause it to flash corresponding to a code. Then I was able to look up that code and figure out where the problem was. Made my diagnosis a lot easier.
no, just stays on. Once on it stays on.... It can be from taking of, or braking from a speed of 10 or faster. I am sure it'll come on slower than that. I expect it to come on EVERY ride.....

Old 12-11-2005, 09:37 PM
problems

hey guys im new tothe site but im having problems... i just bought a 2001 ford f 150 4by4 style side crew cab off raod edition... my abs light says on n wont go off and my anti lock brakes do not work normal brakign is fine but here in michigan its snowing and im lockign all the wheels up.... im not to keen on newer vehicles soo.. help! oh and it seems that there is a howl comign outta the center rear of the truck...got any ideas on that issue?? thansk for any help you all can provide

Old 12-24-2005, 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by wartime
hey guys im new tothe site but im having problems... i just bought a 2001 ford f 150 4by4 style side crew cab off raod edition... my abs light says on n wont go off and my anti lock brakes do not work normal brakign is fine but here in michigan its snowing and im lockign all the wheels up.... im not to keen on newer vehicles soo.. help! oh and it seems that there is a howl comign outta the center rear of the truck...got any ideas on that issue?? thansk for any help you all can provide

that's what we are trying to figure out. I am sure we are having the same problem.

When I brake hard in the snow or on wet pavement my brake pedal pulses and in one of those pulses just locks up and I starts sliding.

Some people have good luck with Ford, others don't. This is the second one where I have had to buy a new motor, radiator, rotors. My little ranger neded more. 2 trannies (ford ordered and did the work), brake booster, clutch 3 times in the past 2 yrs, and so on.

I think I will keep this expedition for the next 3yrs though as the warranty on the motor (which cost me $6000 b/c of the motors blowing plugs) and then unload it. But i have been saying this for yrs with the ranger. The ranger has had so much money spent on it so its a good back up vehicle. But I am tempted to unload it.

For now i will keep them both as I made them more dependable but everytime I get to rest something else goes out.

I did the DPFE sensor, The solenoid for it, my rear windshiled wiper motor is screwing up, the driver window comes up at an angle and not close weithout forcible help, and so on.

Has anyone had common probelsm with the new f150? or expies?

My credit just took a recent jump for the better and now I can get the 0% rates, etc. I just want something dependable. And so far I got hit 2X with Ford.... Not to mention the repairs cost 4% less than the foreign stuff but has 68% more problems.

So go figure. I like domestic for being tough, large, and American but i really can't afford to keep paying for major repairs every few months.

I think it comes down to this. Buy it new, drive it for 3yrs and get rid of it as after that, its time for domestic to break down. hell, all Fords parts are made in Mexico any way so can we blame the mexican labor people or our own domestic company for selling us out.

I want to buy american, to keep jobs, and our product here but we keep screwing ourselves over.

Oh well, I'll drive it for a bit longer. I got an offer for a NICE Yukon Denali with satelite tv and radio but declined as it has 109,000 miles. If it breaks i'll winde up buying another motor like this and my last ford.

I'll keep this prob. and it shoudl last at least another 5yrs. Hopefully we'll have a new product in that time. I like Ford but we have to step the game up other wise the outsiders will have our market like they do now. we pay $1000's extra for peace of mind in foreign.

Old 12-31-2005, 12:23 PM
first off "hitting the brakes then letting off then hitting them again" is the old (and wrong) way to use ABS brakes. if you have a non-abs vehicle it is the right way to use them.

on an abs equipt vehicle you hit the brakes and stand on them and let the computer do the braking while you steer around the obstacle. if you let off and re-apply you "Confuse" the brake computer

if your abs light stays on it means you have a problem and that the system is dissabled.

sorry I can't help yet with the problem (I am having the same problem with my 99)

Old 01-05-2006, 11:17 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"I think it comes down to this. Buy it new, drive it for 3yrs and get rid of it as after that, its time for domestic to break down.'

I bought mine used with 24k, and have not had near the problems you've had. Not trying to knock where you're living, but salt and freezing temps will kill any vehicle that's not cleaned up regularly. 3 clutches in 2 years? Either you drive really hard, or your mechanic is in need of proper training.,,,,98

Old 01-05-2006, 02:33 PM
2000 5.4L My ABS light started coming on intermittently at first then shortly stayed on at which time the ABS didn't work at all. Looked through hundreds of messages then changed out the $20 rear ABS sensor on the rear end and all is good.

Quick Reply: ABS light. Is coming on more and more. Now, its snowing, what;s a basic list of probs