How are General Ameritrac tires standing up??

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 08:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question How are General Ameritrac tires standing up??

I was wondering if these are considered to be a good tire for the money? And actually, I am looking for 2 of the above tires in an LT 245/70/17. [6 ply model]
I have 2 that are great shape and would love to find 2 more. A pair of new take offs or excellant used.

Old 12-05-2005, 11:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had them on some previous GM's and now my SCREW. I am not a fan of them. They are an all around OK tire. Not bad, but not great in any class (rain, snow, mud, sand) in my experience with the sets I have had. I am going to upgrade to BFG's or the Bridgestone's soon. My factory tires are having a hard time staying balanced. Been balanced 3 times and rotated with not a lot of luck. But like I said, they have been an OK tire for me

Old 12-06-2005, 08:31 AM
I took mine off at 6k miles. I really wanted something beefier looking on my truck. The Generals were pretty bad. The only good thing I can say about them is they were quiet. Don't know about tread life.

Old 12-31-2005, 01:32 AM
Originally Posted by Daleford
I was wondering if these are considered to be a good tire for the money? And actually, I am looking for 2 of the above tires in an LT 245/70/17. [6 ply model]
I have 2 that are great shape and would love to find 2 more. A pair of new take offs or excellant used.
You're kiddin', right? Seek (SEARCH) and you shall find. I had the dreaded "nibble" and shimmy. Ford attributed it to the Generals and couldn't get mine to balance at 155 miles and again at 1245 miles. They told me they're ordering 4 new tires. I hope QC is better with the 4 new ones, but I'm not holding my breath. I need to get the shimmy issue straightened out before I mount my new tires/wheels.

Old 12-31-2005, 03:13 PM
I'm not impressed with them. I've had mine for 3800 miles since they came with the truck, and I can't wait to wear them down enough to have an excuse to buy some Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo's like I had on the Mountaineer. I thought that since I now have a 4x4, I might try a tire that would be more of a road tire. So far, I know that my Revo's handle wet weather better, are far superior in mud, are a much better handling tire, and might be quieter than the Ameritrac's. It's hard to decide on the last one since the new F-150 is much quieter than the '97 Mountaineer.

Old 01-02-2006, 06:04 PM
2500 miles so far and mine are Fine. Last snow storm went through 12 -16 inches of snow in 2 wd without a problem. If I had allot of extra $$ sure I would upgrade, certainly when they wear I'll get something better. My cousin's XLT came with Korean?? tires, I think the Ameritrac is at least better than those.

Old 01-03-2006, 06:47 PM
Ameritrac's are terrible in my honest opinion. They handle pathetically in mud/rain/snow....see this thread I created just a week or so ago.....

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=222545

Garbage....I'm getting rid of them later this year for sure, probably get some Bridgestones

Old 01-03-2006, 07:06 PM
My expirence was totally different with them, relative to your expectations I guess. I have had Bridgestones on very vehicle I've replaced tires on, they are excellent. Any idea on cost?

Did you verify the 4wd was not the issue, seems like you should have gotten out of that with any tire!

Old 01-04-2006, 02:38 AM
I've got four of them in my garage in Mid MO for $50 a pop if anyone wants 'em. Brand new 255/70/17s. My boss gave them to me about 30 mi after he got the truck.

Old 01-04-2006, 09:16 PM
See, now I am glad I went with new tires. The BFG's are insane. Love them I kept my cupped up Ameritrac's incase I ever need some spares.

Old 01-04-2006, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by rmills
My expirence was totally different with them, relative to your expectations I guess. I have had Bridgestones on very vehicle I've replaced tires on, they are excellent. Any idea on cost?

Did you verify the 4wd was not the issue, seems like you should have gotten out of that with any tire!

Thats what I thought too, however I'm (reasonably) certain there's nothing wrong with the 4wd. I've since tested that out some more and it appears to be working as it should.

As far as other tires, I havent priced any yet. It shouldnt be too bad for me though because my father works for Firestone, so I can get a nice discount.

Old 01-04-2006, 09:42 PM
my leftover '05 'crew 4 X 4 came with them. I drove it once, took it back in b/c there was a shimmy, felt like 1 or both fronts were out of balance. no big deal, I thought, probably just a weight fell off. the svc mgr came back & said that they had balanced all 4 & made it better, but it still wasn't as smooth as it ought to be, so they ordered me 4 new 1s. Hmmm, I thought, I wonder...got on here & some other sites & found out why Ford was so quick to recall them. called her back & asked if they'd give me credit toward something else, but no dice, so any day, I'll be finding out how new Ameritracs do.

Old 01-04-2006, 11:55 PM
The suck ***, they are on my truck right now and they suck. Just waiting for money to buy new rubber.

Old 12-11-2006, 08:11 AM
I've got 74K on my OEM Ameritracs so I guess I shouldn't complain. Their wet traction is poor but the highway ride quality is good. Thinking of putting on a set of Uniroyal Laredo Cross County tires when I switch these Ameritracs out. My driving is all street and nearly all highway. Out the door price for 4 Uniroyals at the dealer is $499, that's actually cheaper than the out the door price for 4 Generals which is $508. Also considering BFG Long Trails at BJs for around $550 out the door. Anyone have any experience with either the Uniroyals or BFGs?

Old 12-11-2006, 09:52 AM
My 255-70-17 did rather well in the snow and dry weather, rain was not bad either but started to wear at 9k, well I swapped them out for TG and couldnt be happier.

Quick Reply: How are General Ameritrac tires standing up??