Chrome Or Machined MB Motoring Rockers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 12:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Chrome Or Machined MB Motoring Rockers?

Ok, I have decided to go with the MB Motoring Rockers. Now, should I go with chrome or "machined to a high finish"? The cost is about $50 per wheel more for the chrome. And as always

Old 06-09-2005, 02:10 PM
I had the same problem, but I chose "mirror machined" and they look KILLER. Most would say go with the chrome, like all my friends, but I work in a rock quarry and the mud/clay gets a little nasty now and then and I didn't want to chip the chrome and wreck the rim(s).

Old 06-09-2005, 10:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I vote for chrome.

Old 06-10-2005, 12:53 AM

I was told machined polished stands up better to corrosion, and they look nicer longer, thats why i went with machined.

Now after about 5 months with them im starting to notice a some spots, pretty small, like acid rain or something, that takes a little elbow grease to get rid of, but they still shine pretty easily.

Old 06-10-2005, 10:26 AM
Chrome vs. Machined

I think it depends on the color of your truck. If the truck is a light color, white or tan for example I would go with the chrome. If the truck is a dark color go with the machined. I put chrome Rockers on my wifes truck which is, "Dark Shadow Grey Metallic". Too much "BLING". They stood out like sore thumbs compared to the rest of the vehicle. The windows are tinted dark, tires are black side out, bumpers are painted to match (not chromed) etc...The vehicle looked out of balance if that makes sense to you. Went back to Discount Tires, they put on a set of the machined version and what a difference, they don't off-set the vehicle. It looks like they belong. My wife was alot happier and everyone at Discount also agreed, on dark vehicles the machined "match" better, that is unless you are going with 24"s.

By the way Discount also gave me an in-store credit for the lower cost of the machined vs. the chrome which I had already purchased.

Old 06-10-2005, 10:52 AM
I would choose chrome as well, easier to keep clean.

Old 06-10-2005, 11:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will guarantee you that chrome plating has more corrosion resistance than polished / uncoated aluminum. (See bigsherm's posts in Gereral Care - with pictures - of what happened to his.) I've owned both and the chrome - if done correctly - is a far superior finish from a "how much care and feeding does it take" standpoint. I also used to run a Plating shop. As much as I dearly love the look and feel of polished aluminum, I simply cannot justify the buffing and polishing it takes to keep it up. <SNIP CLASSIFIED>

Last edited by Rockpick; 04-13-2006 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by hurtman
I think it depends on the color of your truck. If the truck is a light color, white or tan for example I would go with the chrome. If the truck is a dark color go with the machined. I put chrome Rockers on my wifes truck which is, "Dark Shadow Grey Metallic". Too much "BLING". They stood out like sore thumbs compared to the rest of the vehicle. The windows are tinted dark, tires are black side out, bumpers are painted to match (not chromed) etc...The vehicle looked out of balance if that makes sense to you. Went back to Discount Tires, they put on a set of the machined version and what a difference, they don't off-set the vehicle. It looks like they belong. My wife was alot happier and everyone at Discount also agreed, on dark vehicles the machined "match" better, that is unless you are going with 24"s.

By the way Discount also gave me an in-store credit for the lower cost of the machined vs. the chrome which I had already purchased.
Thanks hurtman, that is exactly what I was looking to find out. Great Post!

Old 04-12-2006, 11:21 PM
being I work for a wheel manufacture I can tell you that the chrome will hold up better in corrosive environment the high polish is usally a dimond cut covered with a clear coat once the clear coat bites it they go down quick or should i say require alot of cleaning

Quick Reply: Chrome Or Machined MB Motoring Rockers?