Speedo Recalibrating itself?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 09:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speedo Recalibrating itself?

Hey all-

Quick question.

When I got my 05 f150 I had some 35x12.5 tires mounted on some 17" welds. Speedo was way off, naturally - 63mph on the speedo really meant i was doing 71-72ish.

Well, on a 400mile roadtrip this weekend I noticed that everyone was passing me while I was going "63". I matched traffic at 70mph (on my speedo), and counted measured against my watch long it took to do a mile - 50 seconds. Appears 70 now means Im going 72. DId comparative tests and it appears that the speedo is accurate now within 1-3mph at all speeds.

Is this normal?

Old 02-19-2005, 09:49 PM
I dont see how the trucks would be able to determine that they are running larger tires rather than driving slower, so I do not believe your speedo re-calibrated itself automatically...

Old 02-19-2005, 10:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree.

Old 02-19-2005, 11:22 PM
Yeah, likewise. Just thought Id post to see if anyone has any ideas - seems really odd behavior. I will pace my truck against my wife in her car just to make sure my calculations are not messed up

Old 02-20-2005, 12:09 AM
Well somehow it seems like it is correct...if I calculated it out right, it would take about 51 seconds to travel 1 mile at 70 MPH...

I dont know how it is correct now, but you can bet the computer didnt just "calibrate itself" because it somehow detected you had installed larger tires...that would be impossible (at least with the sensors that are available on the F150 as of now)

Old 02-20-2005, 09:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See if you can find a law enforcement officer running radar and ask him to clock you. I used to have people ask me to do that all the time. Remember, if your speedo is off, your odometer is off also. If you have been using your odometer in your calculations, that may be the problem.

Old 02-20-2005, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by wandell
Remember, if your speedo is off, your odometer is off also. If you have been using your odometer in your calculations, that may be the problem.
good point, I assumed he was using mile markers on the side of the road.

Old 02-20-2005, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by wandell
See if you can find a law enforcement officer running radar and ask him to clock you. I used to have people ask me to do that all the time. Remember, if your speedo is off, your odometer is off also. If you have been using your odometer in your calculations, that may be the problem.
Damn, now I feel like an idiot. Did not even click with me that my odo would be off as well, so yeah, my calculations would be right on that the speedo was 'corrected'. haha man, lucky I had the v1 running last night

cant wait for superchips release their 05 model so I can recalibrate the speedo. I do have a few state trooper friends, I will see if I can get one to clock me at a few speeds.

Quick Reply: Speedo Recalibrating itself?