F-150 Diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2002, 11:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F-150 Diesel?

Some time back, I saw reports of a possible V-6 diesel showing up in the F-150, I think in the 2004 model year. It was supposed to be the new 6.0 diesel replacing the 7.3 in the Superduties, only with two cylinders "chopped off". But I haven't heard anything about it in some time now.

Any one heard any more rumors lately?

Old 06-25-2002, 02:56 AM
Latest news that I have heard is that they are delaying it until about 2007 so we'll have to be patient. You are correct in that it was supposed to come with the 2004 redesign and be the same engine as the big 6.0 with 2 cylinders chopped off.

The reason that I have heard is that Ford is having trouble with the emissions regulations that are coming into effect. Its no problem with the heavy duty SD's but apparently the half ton trucks are in a different category. If I remember correctly new diesel fuel regulations will be out around 2007, an ultra-low sulfur type fuel similar to what is used in Europe. This and other advancements will get them into compliance so they can go ahead with the F-150 diesel.

I would bet that when they do come out the engines will be of a camless design. International (which produces the engines for Ford) allready has big camless I-6 diesels on the road undergoing testing. The technology is still physically too big to fit into a compact package like the 6.0 V-8 and 4.5 V-6, but info released from International says they will have it ready for these engines around 2006-2007.

Old 06-25-2002, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the info!

I was hoping that it would be available sooner, as I think I may be looking at getting into a new truck within the next year or so. Would love to have a SD, but it is kinda cost-prohibitive. ie:F-250 crew cab 4x4 with powerstroke is waaay expensive! So, I thought perhaps a F150 with a diesel would do my hauling/towing as well as get better fuel mileage.

Thanks again for the reply.

Old 06-25-2002, 02:47 PM
I agree, wish a smaller diesel would be out sooner. But i guess i'll just wait

I also heard that the new 6.0L is having problems with cooling which is one reason the smaller version is having problems...check out BlueOvalNews.com
they have some good info...

Old 06-25-2002, 07:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The smaller diesel would be nice for thoses that want it me I prefer the gas V8 under the hood. I'm sure they can hove it out before 2007 it might be 2005 when it comes out they still might make it for 2004 as they still have plenty of time to work all the bugs out of it.

Old 07-01-2002, 03:14 PM
I saw a article a few months back about a F-100(yes it was called the F-100) only available in mexico.It had the super duty(f250) nose and it was diesel.

I'll try looking for the article because I know you guys think I'm crazy.

Old 07-04-2002, 05:10 PM
Wink

Hmmmmm...yes....I believe you are going to have to produce that article...and soon. I have already checked the "crazy" box beside your name, but I checked it with pencil....so I can erase it........if you can produce this "article".....

But, if it's in mexican, I won't be able to read it, so the "crazy" box will have to remain checked.

Old 07-06-2002, 02:19 AM
These companies make some crazy vehicles over in mexico sometimes. Not long ago i saw a 97 Dodge RamCharger. Had the front clip from the 2001-style dodge, but was a 2 door suv...kinda like a bronco, but much more modern. It wasn't a mod, i looked it up and found out they did make those...freaky...so i wont write you off as crazy...........yet

Old 07-07-2002, 12:03 AM
Mexican=freaky......so there ya go!

Old 09-29-2002, 02:07 PM
Thumbs up

There is this really weird and depressing B movie put out a few years back, called Dance with the Devil. The bad guy was driving what I could swear was a 89 or so EXPEDITION!!! No, you heard that right! It wasn't called an expedition that they mentioned or showed emblems of, but it was a full size F-150 based SUV. Four doors, and an enclosed rear cargo area. Possibly a four door Bronco? The movie was based on fictional characters who lived on or over the border of Mexico. I've never seen the movie before or since the one time. I'll try to find info on the movie and see if any pics are available.,,,98

Not that it really has anything to do with the 04's, but it does show that Ford releases vehicles in other countries first sometimes. I saw Focus coupes running all over Europe when I went to Spain. This was a year or two before they came here.

Old 09-29-2002, 11:37 PM
The "4-door Bronco" you saw in the movie was probably the "Centurion". Someone who has kids at the same school as mine has one, and I have seen another a few times in a small town on my commute to work. I have never seen such a vehicle until 2 years ago at the middle school. It is the '92 thru '96 body style. I thought I knew everything Ford made until I saw these two trucks. The badge on the fender on both trucks read "Centurion". (Both were excellent looking trucks in very good condition)

Old 09-30-2002, 01:56 AM
Interesting, I thought the Centurion was the heavy towing Ford van that has the back half chopped off, and a wrecker style platform in it's place? Oh well, I have never seen one in America before. Another weird Mexico thing is the F-150 emblems made from that "gel" matierial. You know that stuff that those wheel center emblems are made of. I saw a few of these the last time I was around the border. Funny that it wasn't a LOBO emblem.,,,,98

Old 09-30-2002, 02:03 AM
Old 09-30-2002, 02:18 AM
EPA reg are sooner

The new EPA regs were supposed to go into affect in 2007, but all domestic made diesel engines must meet those regulations by october of this year or face up to $8000 fine per engine built that doesn't meet the regs. This is only for diesel engines that are to be used for on road use, off highway use engines are exempt till 2007.

Old 09-30-2002, 02:33 AM
centurion

Centurion is a vehicle conversion company. They have made conversions for an old body style f150 to a four door SUV. here is their website http://www.centurionvehicles.com/

Quick Reply: F-150 Diesel?