First real competition

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2001, 11:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question First real competition

Okay, I need some advise/help/understanding or whatever! On the way home this afternoon, I had my first real challenge. Followed a Z71 (4x4) Xcab for a few miles through back curvy roads to a stop sign. He nailed it and so did I. The road was clear for the better of a mile or so. Ran through the gears at WOT and stayed with him through 2nd. Gained a little ground in third and probably would have outdone him if we hadn't have come up on traffic. It's my understanding the Chevy's have either a 5.3 or 5.7, correct? Am I expecting too much from my 5.4 to at least win noticably against a 5.3 or stay with a non-moded 5.7? (He had no aftermarket exhaust system). I thought for sure that all the good things I have done would have paid off. See my sig. I am really disappointed at this point, again I have to ask.....am I expecting too much? Maybe when I get the new 2-core radiator, it will make a difference! lol. What are your thoughts and have you had similar situations? If I could convience the other half, I'd have a Lightning! Of course divorce would soon follow!!! What can I do to make this barge move down the road a little quicker, within reason, of course?

------------------
2000 Flareside SCab 4x4, 5.4 w/3:55, Oxford w/gray leather captain's, upgraded Lariat pkg, Class III towing pkg, all power, 60watt fogs+hi beams, billet third brake light cover, monogramed dash cover, expy console, K&N, custom exhaust (single in-dual out) with Flowmaster 40, Superchipped, 5.4L badges. Waiting to be installed: Hellwig anti-sway bar, Trenz billet grill and OE bladerunner.

[This message has been edited by Casper II (edited 04-06-2001).]

Old 04-06-2001, 11:42 PM
The Chevys are hard to beat. If you raced the 350 Vortec, that was probably the best motor the produced in the Zs. The are really pretty quick. Not to sure on the 5.3 though. Haven't heard much about them. One thing that I always say is that Chevys got it right going with the 3.73s instead of the 3.55s.

Old 04-06-2001, 11:55 PM
5.7's had 255 Hp. The new 5.3's have 275 Hp.
Sorry guys, but I refuse to say anything bad about a Chevy/GMC.

Mike

------------------
Stay Out Of My Taildust

2000 Black Harley Davidson F-150
5.4 Liter v-8
K&N Air filter
20" Polished Aluminum Wheels
275/45/20 Goodyear GSII's
Billet Front Grille
Front Valence W/ driving lights and Billet Insert
3.55 Rear End
Leather Interior
Heated Seats
Hidden Hitch
Orange Pinstriping
Front and Rear Light Blackouts
Lowered 1" Front & Rear
Block heater

Old 04-07-2001, 12:08 AM
Cool

You also have to realize that he had the head start by nailing first. By the time you realized he nailed it, put your foot down, and got your truck going you've already lost some time. It's hard to judge apples to apples when you're inline as opposed to side by side. Even then it depends on the situation.

I was lined up next to a vortec 350 once, and kind of did the "I'm just going to stay with him." thing. He was all out going from the start. I stayed with him and started to pull on him a little before I let off, but if I would have floored it from the get go I would have smoked him.

Don't forget he could have spent his money on a chip, and intake first, and hasn't got to the exhaust yet, too. Just because you see a stock looking tailpipe doesn't mean the rest of it's stock.

------------------
2000 F150 XLT 4X4 Off Road 5.4L Reg. Cab 3.55

Performance Enhancemets:
K&N
WMS Velocity Tube
Gibson Sweptside

Audio Enhancements:
All of the above, plus
Sony C7000X HU
Cerwin-Vega SS2502 components(Front)
Blaupunkt PCxp573s(Rear)

Radio-delay mod

Other Enhancements:
Extang Black Max Tonneau Cover

Old 04-07-2001, 07:27 PM
Arrow

a 5.4 is no match for the chevy 350 i know i use to have one can any of u smoke the tires with the 5.4 ? i can`t break the rear lose on mine the chevy was just a touch of the peddle and she was smoking and it was heaviest
only disapointment i have with the ford .. that and the high RPM`s we turn gessh
but sure don`t like the body style of the chevs anymore why i drive a ford now for now

------------------
Ordered 11/8/00
Build Date 11/27/00
Delivery Date 1/06/01
----------------------
XLT 2001 Supercrew
Arizona Beige
Tow Pk
Captain chairs
Ford Duraliner.
Stull Billet Grill
-------------------------
Nothen` Dirty` Going` On`Here`

Old 04-07-2001, 10:02 PM
Thumbs up

I had to "Kill" a Honda the other day, and I had to back way out of it just to hook up! I was smoking the Generals w/o trying! The HonDuhhhh almost pulled away from me due to the lack of traction! The street was dry, and I didn't pre-load the tranny (power brake). I did have the OD off, but that shouldn't make a difference off the line. I've heard altitude makes a difference too, and I'm at like 200ft above. Also it's been hot (85-90) here the past few days, I don't know if that makes a difference either, just helping to establish the circumstances that lead to my nearly cat walking into the west bound lane! I've got 4,000 miles on the clock now and it revs freer and "feels" stronger anyways, and mileage improved slightly.

------------------
F150 SuperCrew XLT

5.4L, class III towing, Oxford White, Parchment interior, Sliding rear window, Ford Duraliner bedliner, Power drivers seat, auto lights, 3.55, born on 10/00...more to come!

Old 04-08-2001, 11:00 AM
The Chevys and Fords are pretty close, the 5.3 has 275 but a different torque curve than the 5.4. Both are good trucks. IF the Chev has 3.73 gears, that will help with the acceleration. I drive a supercrew 5.4 but I would be happy with either truck, Chevy or Ford, just not Toyota

Old 04-08-2001, 11:15 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if you had just listened to the guys on the v-6 board and got a v-6! just kidding
the chevy has 285 h.p and it makes it higher in the r.p.m. 0 to 60 the ford has the edge but after that the chevy runs strong. cosidering you give up 25 h.p. stock and the ford probably is heavier....you won, be happy.

Old 04-08-2001, 04:00 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Casper II,

If you are going to race, race. Don't ***** foot around. Kill from the get go. The extra truck length your opponent gets on you can mean the difference between 1st and last place. If he really wants to race he will find you and you will have a fair race.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

------------------
00 F-150 XLT SC Flairside 4x4 4.6 w/5spd 3.55LSD
Warn XD9000i, skid plates, Draw tite class III,
Rancho RSX Reflex shocks, MAC 8.8 Axle Girdle
BFG 285/75 R16 MTs,
Borla Cat Back, Hedman Headers,
Custom air intake system with modified
air box, Ported Throttle body,
Shortened MAF sensor tower,
K&N air filter,
Superchips

Old 04-08-2001, 04:15 PM
Just because the exhaust may look and sound stock, it doesn't mean the owner of the other truck hasn't performed any other mods to the engine.

For instance, a guy I know has a 5.7L Chevy. I'm one of a handful of people who know that it's blown.

Unless you personally know the other person and the truck, you'll never know if the playing field is level. If you want to win most of your races, put a blower on your engine. Otherwise, you'll win some and you'll lose some. My guess is, with your mods, you have a better than good chance of spanking most stock Chevies.

Old 04-08-2001, 10:52 PM
Question

Hey zacky, how much more does your supercrew weigh than your old chevy? Could explain the lack wheel spinning ability. Plus the fact that your weight distribution front to rear is more even.

------------------
2000 F150 XLT 4X4 Off Road 5.4L Reg. Cab 3.55

Performance Enhancemets:
K&N
WMS Velocity Tube
Gibson Sweptside

Audio Enhancements:
All of the above, plus
Sony C7000X HU
Cerwin-Vega SS2502 components(Front)
Blaupunkt PCxp573s(Rear)

Radio-delay mod