Lightning Heads for a 4.6L

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2001, 02:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lightning Heads for a 4.6L

Hey Neal or anyone else,

Need some good technical advice on heads.

I've read several messages concerning the 5.4 P.I. heads. Its been stated that they are a direct bolt-on to the 4.6 engine. How about the '99 Lightning heads?

Currently checking into a pair of '99 Lightning heads complete with cams. Porting has already been done, polishing may need to be performed on them.

Will they work? Thanks!!!

------------------
'00 F150 SC w/ 4.6L, Oxford white, Gray Int., leather steering wheel, Lariat/4x4 fender lip molding (painted Oxford White), GTS slotted tailight covers (painted Oxford White), Lariat front grille/headlight assembly and front bumper cap (painted Oxford White), lower factory bumper w/ driving lights, Ford billit hitch cover, Line-X-bed, carbon fiber hood/ bug deflector.
-------------------------
Performance: 75mm BBK throttle body, Poweraid spacer, Granatelli 80mm MAS, K&N Generation II intake system, ASP pulleys, 2-16" Hayden Rapid Cool electric fans, Gibson headers, Gibson cat back exhaust (split rear) 3:73 rear gears, custom (flip chip) Superchip.

Future mods.: white face guages, 2/4 drop kit, Lightening 18x9.5 wheels, 295/18 Z rated Goodyears, fiberglass toneau cover, Stillen front bumper cover, MSD or Jacobs electronic ignition upgrade, Magnacharger

Old 02-10-2001, 02:19 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... CRAZYABOUTF150 : The LIGHTNING heads are the exact same heads as used on the regular "PI" 5.4. Grab them if you can!

------------------
NEAL " THE H.P FREAK"
'99' F-150 XLT SPORT, oxford white, reg cab shortbox stepside,5.4, auto, 4.10L.S, captain's chairs, bedliner, GTS carbon fiber headlight covers, ***** CEPECK clear halogen driving lights, GTS slotted tailight covers (painted oxford white), fiberglass smooth wiper cowl (painted OXFORD WHITE), FORD locking lug nuts, tinted windows,true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes and FLOWMASTER 3 chamber mufflers with 3' tailpipes exiting before the rear wheel like the LIGHTNING, HELLWIG rear stabalizer bar, 3 AUTOMETER guage pods, filled with tranny temp, engine temp, and oil preasure AUTOMETER "PHANTOM" guages,custom fabricated air intake trac and huge K/N filter, TPS mod, BELLTECH 2-inch rear drop, custom programed SUPERCHIP, BAUMANN ENGINEERING shift kit (on stage 5 setting)BYPASS CLUTCH CONTROL VALVE/PREASURE REGULATOR VALVE, ASP POWER PULLEYS, custom tig welded and ported JBA "JET BLACK coated headers, twin DERALE 16 INCH ELECTRIC FANS, PERMA COOL 14"/10" tranny cooler with 10" electric fan, custom ported (STOCK) throttle body, custom digital air intake temp sensor, custom ported TB intake elbow, relocated ATS.

FUTURE MODS : FORD SVT 24LB INJECTORS, CUSTOM SUPERCHIP FLIP-CHIP, BBK 75MM THROTTLE BODY, 80MM PRO-M MASS AIR METER, AADI F1 RAM AIR HOOD WITH CUSTOM FABRICATED RAM AIR SET-UP, CAL-TRAC TRACTION BARS, EXTRUDE HONED INTAKE MANIFOLD, SHM CUSTOM FUEL RAILS, SHM "RACE WATER PUMP, 90/10 FRONT CE SHOCKS, 70/30 REAR CE SHOCKS, BELL TECH 2/4 DROP, EXPEDITION CENTER CONSOLE, HARLEY DAVISON F-150, LOWER FRONT VALANCE (painted oxford white) and a KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA SUPERCHARGER.

ESTIMATED H.P TO DATE : 330H.P / 425ft/lbs of torque.

CURRENT PERFORMANCE : 1/4 MILE - 14.53E.T * MPH - 93.00 * 0-60MPH - 5.8 * 1/8 MILE - 9.2 * 60 FT - 2.0

OTHER TOYS : "83" PRO STREET FORD RANGER : 351-w stroked to 408c.i 625H.P (natural), 875H.P with 250H.P "BIG SHOT" N.O.S kit, tubbed (crome moly tubing), 12 point chrome moly roll cage, 4-link with coil overs, MUSTANG II front suspension, c-4 tranny (race prepped), 4000rpm stall converter(8 INCH), 3" chrome moly driveshaft,AUTOMETER guages, 15.50 MICKEY THOMPSON rear tires, 4" M/T front tires, CENTERLINE CON-VO PRO rims, fiberglass hood - bumper - prostock hood scoop, wishbone trac-link, two chrome moly driveshaft loops, 16 gallon RCI fuel cell,etc

Old 02-10-2001, 02:56 AM
what is the advantage of having these?

------------------
2000 silver lincoln navigator 4x4, heated seats, 3 LCD tvs, tinted windows. More to come.

1999 black lightning,
cervinis ramair hood,
4 infinity kappa 6x8,
A.R.E. tonneau cover,
tinted windows,clear corners, piaa superwhites,

coming up soon: power pulleys, slotted rotors,flowmaster exhaust, superchip, 100 shot of nox, belltech 3-4 drop, ramair kit, headers, plus more i just can't think of.

1997 35'Fountain 35Lightning,
mercury 502 MPI,Sleeping accommodations for 4;
-Compass
-Depth Sounder
-GPS
-Hourmeter
-Engine alarm

Old 02-10-2001, 02:23 PM
What are the differences in a '99 and up 5.4L F-150 and a Lightning (besides the supercharger!) since they have the same heads? Lower compression pistons for the supercharger maybe?

Old 02-10-2001, 04:20 PM
Question

Thanks!! Neal

Here is another question for you. I believe I read where you may stated that the 4.6L intake would still work with the head change. How about the 5.4L intake on the 4.6L engine with the 5.4 P.I. heads?

What I am planning to do is to buy a new (4.6 or 5.4?)intake, the 5.4 P.I.heads, and new JBA ceraminc coated headers, send all three to a machine shop to be matched up. Provide Mike Troyer with the specs. for modifying my custom Superchip and when everything has been completed, disassemble the current engine parts and then reassemble with the new ones.

I still have to deal with the wife, so all of the "behind the scenes" work can be completed and the actual down time of the truck will be limited.

So, what do you think about the intake issue?

Thanks for your input!!

------------------
'00 F150 SC w/ 4.6L, Oxford white, Gray Int., leather steering wheel, Lariat/4x4 fender lip molding (painted Oxford White), GTS slotted tailight covers (painted Oxford White), Lariat front grille/headlight assembly and front bumper cap (painted Oxford White), lower factory bumper w/ driving lights, Ford billit hitch cover, Line-X-bed, carbon fiber hood/ bug deflector.
Performance: 75mm BBK throttle body, Poweraid spacer, Granatelli 80mm MAS, K&N Generation II intake system, ASP pulleys, 2-16" Hayden Rapid Cool electric fans, Gibson headers, Gibson cat back exhaust (split rear) 3:73 rear gears, custom (flip chip) Superchip.

Future mods.: white face guages, 2/4 drop kit, Lightening 18x9.5 wheels, 295/18 Z rated Goodyears, fiberglass toneau cover, Stillen front bumper cover, MSD or Jacobs electronic ignition upgrade, Magnacharger

Old 02-10-2001, 06:02 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by elmo:
What are the differences in a '99 and up 5.4L F-150 and a Lightning (besides the supercharger!) since they have the same heads? Lower compression pistons for the supercharger maybe?</font>
Elmo, I know the Lightnings have FORAGED pistons. There is several other changes, but nothing ALL that major. Something you could certainly turn a stock 5.4 into, without TOO much of a problem.

Mike

------------------
Stay Out Of My Taildust

2000 Black Harley Davidson F-150
5.4 Liter v-8
K&N Air filter
20" Polished Aluminum Wheels
275/45/20 Goodyear GSII's
Billet Front Grille
Front Valence W/ driving lights and Billet Insert
3.55 Rear End
Leather Interior
Heated Seats
Hidden Hitch
Orange Pinstriping
Front and Rear Light Blackouts
Lowered 1" Front & Rear
Block heater

Old 02-10-2001, 08:05 PM
Just about fell asleep at the computor last nite reading all the info from the Corral web site. Go to Corral.com, then to forums, then archives & last Modular heads.
So much info from the stang guys.
Boss Lariat

------------------
1997 F-150 LARIAT S/C 4x2 Styleside...Pacific Green Exterior/Silver Frost Accent...4.6L Triton (Romeo)...Auto...3.55 Limited Slip...Trailer Tow Pkg...Remote Entry w/ Anti-Theft...Power Everything...

FORD ACCESSORIES Wheel Locks...Molded Vinyl Floor Mats...Sill Plates (Look Great!)...Molded Mud Guards...

AFTERMARKET Deflecto Bedliner...Lund Bug Shield...Ventshield Side Louvers & Taillite Covers...A.R.E. Fibreglass Tonneau Cover...22 Piece Burl Wood Dash Kit...Custom Tweed Hood Insulator Pad...Westin Chrome Step Bars...

PERFORMANCE OPTIONS SVO Lightning Wheels w/ Yokohamo 285/50/18 AVS-ST Tires...Optima Battery...Evergreen F.I.P.G...Superchip YSL2...

STEREO Premium Ford Head Unit...Pac Lineout Convertors...Coustic 3E Crossover...JBL GTQ400 & GTQ200 Amps., Behind Full Functional Backseat...2x JL Audio10W4 Subs ...4 Pioneer 3-Way 6815's In Doors...

WHAT'S NEXT? Powerdyne Supercharger...Cat Back Exhaust...Roush Susp...Ground Effects...???...

Old 02-10-2001, 10:20 PM
Hi crazy
Don't buy a 5.4 intake before you hear from someone that knows for sure,like Neal. The 5.4 has a higher block making the intake wider.

------------------
97 Lariet-sc-4.6-4x off road-auto-3.55 LS-
superchip-K&N-3"
pvc air box mod-Granetelli MAF

Old 02-11-2001, 01:29 AM
Cool

HI!... The advantage of running these head is that the valve diameters have increased and the intake and exhaust runners have been better "contoured". What it breaks down to is that they just plain FLOW better. The intake valves were increased from 44.5mm to 46.83mm and the exhaust valves were increased from 34.0mm to 35.88mm on "99" and up "PI" 5.4 heads and MUSTANG "99" "PI" 4.6 heads. This was for the H.P increase in both these engines for the "99" and up years. Just remember that ALL 5.4's all built here in WINDSOR, so you guys with ROMEO 4.6's will have to buy WINDSOR 5.4 valve covers. WINDSOR engines have a different valve cover bolt pattern than ROMEO engines do. The 5.4 intake manifold will NOT fit on a 4.6 with "PI" 5.4 heads. The 5.4 has a taller deck height than the 4.6 so the 5.4's intake is wider. My advice would to do what I'm doing and send the factory intake to EXTRUDE HONE and have it extrude honed. This proceedure will remove material in the intake and it's runners evenly and contour and smooth the inside of the intake to almost a mirror finish. About 10-12H.P can be gained by doing this to the intake manifold.

The LIGHTNING 5.4 has forged 8.4-1 compression pistons. The regular 5.4 has 9.0-1 compression HYPEREUTECTIC pistons.

The LIGHTNING 5.4 has "CRACKED CAP" forged connecting rods. The regular 5.4 also has these rods but are CAST not forged. Besides these two things the two 5.4's are virtually adentical long blocks except for the entire intake set-up and some pulleys designed for the supercharger.

------------------
NEAL " THE H.P FREAK"
'99' F-150 XLT SPORT, oxford white, reg cab shortbox stepside,5.4, auto, 4.10L.S, captain's chairs, bedliner, GTS carbon fiber headlight covers, ***** CEPECK clear halogen driving lights, GTS slotted tailight covers (painted oxford white), fiberglass smooth wiper cowl (painted OXFORD WHITE), FORD locking lug nuts, tinted windows,true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes and FLOWMASTER 3 chamber mufflers with 3' tailpipes exiting before the rear wheel like the LIGHTNING, HELLWIG rear stabalizer bar, 3 AUTOMETER guage pods, filled with tranny temp, engine temp, and oil preasure AUTOMETER "PHANTOM" guages,custom fabricated air intake trac and huge K/N filter, TPS mod, BELLTECH 2-inch rear drop, custom programed SUPERCHIP, BAUMANN ENGINEERING shift kit (on stage 5 setting)BYPASS CLUTCH CONTROL VALVE/PREASURE REGULATOR VALVE, ASP POWER PULLEYS, custom tig welded and ported JBA "JET BLACK coated headers, twin DERALE 16 INCH ELECTRIC FANS, PERMA COOL 14"/10" tranny cooler with 10" electric fan, custom ported (STOCK) throttle body, custom digital air intake temp sensor, custom ported TB intake elbow, relocated ATS.

FUTURE MODS : FORD SVT 24LB INJECTORS, CUSTOM SUPERCHIP FLIP-CHIP, BBK 75MM THROTTLE BODY, 80MM PRO-M MASS AIR METER, AADI F1 RAM AIR HOOD WITH CUSTOM FABRICATED RAM AIR SET-UP, CAL-TRAC TRACTION BARS, EXTRUDE HONED INTAKE MANIFOLD, SHM CUSTOM FUEL RAILS, SHM "RACE WATER PUMP, 90/10 FRONT CE SHOCKS, 70/30 REAR CE SHOCKS, BELL TECH 2/4 DROP, EXPEDITION CENTER CONSOLE, HARLEY DAVISON F-150, LOWER FRONT VALANCE (painted oxford white) and a KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA SUPERCHARGER.

CURRENT PERFORMANCE : 1/4 MILE - 14.53E.T * MPH - 93.00 * 0-60MPH - 5.8 * 1/8 MILE - 9.2 * 60 FT - 2.0

OTHER TOYS : "83" PRO STREET FORD RANGER : 351-w stroked to 408c.i 625H.P (natural), 875H.P with 250H.P "BIG SHOT" N.O.S kit, tubbed (crome moly tubing), 12 point chrome moly roll cage, 4-link with coil overs, MUSTANG II front suspension, c-4 tranny (race prepped), 4000rpm stall converter(8 INCH), 3" chrome moly driveshaft,AUTOMETER guages, 15.50 MICKEY THOMPSON rear tires, 4" M/T front tires, CENTERLINE CON-VO PRO rims, fiberglass hood - bumper - prostock hood scoop, wishbone trac-link, two chrome moly driveshaft loops, 16 gallon RCI fuel cell,etc

Old 02-13-2001, 10:40 PM
Hi Neal,

In investigating the '99 Lightning 5.4 PI heads, the current owner says that there is a 52 PI casting on the heads. Does this mean anything to you?

He is also providing the porting and flow work numbers already performed by Rhino Racing Heads. Any suggestions on what to look for, as in ideal numbers?

Now here's the $64K question. Forget cost, but look at the work involved and a best way of adding HP/Torque in comparing the following two modifications: 1) Install a Magnacharger kit, or 2) Install 5.4 PI heads, Extrude Hone/port matched intake.

Which one do you think would be the best "bang for the money" for a 4.6L?

Thanks!!

Old 02-13-2001, 11:36 PM
Question

To Crazyaboutf150, I am in the process of doing the roots style blower thing to my 4.6l.
I have done months of research. This past weekend i hooked up w/ 2 differant dudes from the Corral.com. One had over 5000 postings. Anyway the info i wanted to know about installing 5.4 PI heads onto the 4.6 to be used in conjunction w/ a MAGNUSON would be in the 10:1 comp ratio area . ...NOT good for a supercharged stock engine. Even going w / the SVO heads would put a strain on the pistons. The bottom line do either but not both unless you modify your bottom end. Search the Corral.com archives for tons of info!

------------------
1997 F-150 LARIAT S/C 4x2 Styleside...Pacific Green Exterior/Silver Frost Accent...4.6L Triton (Romeo)...Auto...3.55 Limited Slip...Trailer Tow Pkg...Remote Entry w/ Anti-Theft...Power Everything...

FORD ACCESSORIES Wheel Locks...Molded Vinyl Floor Mats...Sill Plates (Look Great!)...Molded Mud Guards...

AFTERMARKET Deflecto Bedliner...Lund Bug Shield...Ventshield Side Louvers & Taillite Covers...A.R.E. Fibreglass Tonneau Cover...22 Piece Burl Wood Dash Kit...Custom Tweed Hood Insulator Pad...Westin Chrome Step Bars...

PERFORMANCE OPTIONS SVO Lightning Wheels w/ Yokohamo 285/50/18 AVS-ST Tires...Optima Battery...Evergreen F.I.P.G...Superchip YSL2...

STEREO Premium Ford Head Unit...Pac Lineout Convertors...Coustic 3E Crossover...JBL GTQ400 & GTQ200 Amps., Behind Full Functional Backseat...2x JL Audio10W4 Subs ...4 Pioneer 3-Way 6815's In Doors...

WHAT'S NEXT? Powerdyne Supercharger...Cat Back Exhaust...Roush Susp...Ground Effects...???...

Old 02-14-2001, 12:39 AM
Cool

HI!... CRAZYABOUTF150 : Changing heads on thee modular engines is a real task. If your not into ripping all of your top end of of your engine than I would go for the supercharger. I like to see how much power I can get out of and engine N/A before I go to a supercharger or nitrous, or both!LOL! By the way the 5.4 "PI" cylinder heads will say "5.4 PI" in the corner of heads on the back ends below the valve covers.

BOSS LARIET : I don't know why the compression ratio would raise to 10:1 when installing 5.5 "pi" heads on a 4.6. They both have the same 9.0:1 compression from the factory and the cumbustion chambers are the exact same size on the 5.5"pi" heads as on the stock 4.6 ones. At least that's what the F-150 service manual I read says.

------------------
NEAL " THE H.P FREAK"

Old 02-18-2001, 03:17 AM
Hi! Neal

I'm having more opportunity than I want, in trying to obtain specifications on the '99 Lightning heads I found. All and any casting numbers , stated by the owner, has 52 PI on them. I skeptical now!

I'm going to Future Ford (FMS dealer) on Monday and look into buying new 5.4 PI heads complete with cams, valves, etc.

You had mentioned that a "Stage 3" porting job would provide additional HP over the stock 5.4 PI heads. What does this consist of?

I'm also looking into the "extrude hone" work being performed on my intake. Is this something that a good machine shop can do or would I have to send the intake to a specific shop that only does this?

Okay, after the these two, heads and intake, modifications have been completed, I understand that I would need to change the fuel injectors. The 24lb injectors would be the choice. Any specific brand or type you would recommned?

Now, it's time to also revise the Superchip program plus install the MSD DIS-4 Ignition. What do you think the HP numbers will be when I complete all of these projects? Do you think my transmission and 8.8 rear hold up to the additional load?

By the way, I like trying to make as much HP like you do! Still with all the new and modified parts, the cost will not be as much as the Magnacharger kit.

Thanks for any technical advice/info. you can provide!

------------------
'00 F150 SC w/ 4.6L, Oxford white, Gray Int., leather steering wheel, white faced guages, Lariat/4x4 fender flares (painted Oxford White), GTS slotted tailight covers (painted Oxford White), Lariat front grille/headlight assembly and front bumper cap (painted Oxford White), lower factory valance w/ driving lights, Ford billit hitch cover, Line-X-bed, carbon fiber hood/ bug deflector.
Performance: 75mm BBK throttle body, Poweraid (custom) spacer, Granatelli 80mm MAS, K&N Generation II intake system, ASP pulleys, 2-16" Hayden Rapid Cool electric fans, Gibson headers, Gibson cat back exhaust (split rear) 3:73 rear gears, custom (flip chip) Superchip.

Future mods.: Custom paint job, 2/4 drop kit, Lightening 18x9.5 wheels, 295/18 Z rated Goodyears, fiberglass tonneau cover, Stillen front bumper cover, MSD electronic ignition upgrade, 5.4 P.I. (ported & polished) heads, Ported (4.6/5.4) intake, JBA ceramic headers, (Magnacharger?)

Old 02-18-2001, 06:40 PM
Cool

Hi Neal... I have been reading this thread with much interest. From what i understand the 5.4 PI heads are the same as the 4.6 heads but they have bigger valves and better flow,Are they a direct bolt on?, What about the cams in the 5.4 heads are they the same as the 4.6?, and will the stock injectors work with these heads?. And the most important question of all is how much power will i gain by changing heads?. Thanks in advance Larry.

Old 03-01-2001, 02:18 AM
Cool

HI!... CRAZYABOUTF-150 : Porting and polishing consists of a 3 angle or 5 angle valve job. They port (remove material)from the cumbustion chamber and intake and exhaust ports to increase air flow and flow characteristics. The polishing just smoothes out the path in which the air must floe creating less resistance. Extude honing is only done at EXTRUDE HONE it's self. Do a search under that name and you will come up with there site. As for the injectors, you don't need to upgrade to 24lb'ers untill you go past 304H.P at the flywheel. 19lb injectors will support up to 304H.P at 100% duty cycle. You take your flywheel H.P and divide by 2 and then divide by the # of cylinders your engine has. This will give you your required injector flow rate for H.P. Using this method 24lb injectors will support 384H.P.I would estimate that you are making about 290h.p at the flywheel right now. Stock 5.4 "PI" heads should gain you about 25 more H.P. If you have them fully ported and polished you should gain about 40 more H.P on top of that. That would bring you up to a good 350H.P at the flywheel. But expensive to do. As for your tranny, it will be at it's MAX. I would suggest to you to install a good shift kit, run REDLINE synthetic fluid, and a good tranny cooler with electric fan. As for your 8.8 It most likely will break unless you upgrade it with aftermarket parts. Ask JMC about his truck. It's a 2000 and he's on his 2ND 8.8 rearend.Hope this helps you out.

------------------
NEAL " THE H.P FREAK"

Quick Reply: Lightning Heads for a 4.6L