75 MM BBK and Magnacharger Intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2000, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 75 MM BBK and Magnacharger Intake

Just a heads up for those upgrading to a 75mm TB to your 4.6L intake. In order to get a good match between the two, you will need to port out the intake tube about 1/8 of an inch to match up the diameters. I ported out about 1/8 and tapered into the intake.

------------------
98 White 4.6 Triton STX (It's not an STX anymore) Flairside,Class III hitch, Blue Cobra Stripes, Euro Lid by Astro, Bed Rug, Fiero Wing, Air Dam,Westin Step Bars, Ground Force 2-4 Drop,Custom MB Phantom Wheels,clear corner lenses,monster battery terminals,Custom Programmed Super Chip,BBK 75mm TB, Pro M 80mm MAF,Pillar Pod w/ boost and trans temp,Jacobs DIS Ignition,Art Carr 2000-2400 stall transmission,4:10 gears,custom rear end housing, custom intake tube, Jet coated JBA stainless headers, Magna Flow Muffler with Stainless Duals and of course fully Blown by Magnacharger!

Old 11-06-2000, 08:35 PM
Is the same true for a 5.4 L? Have you seen any gains?
Thanks a lot,
Bone

Old 11-06-2000, 08:52 PM
Cool

ToDaBone-I don't know about the 5.4L intake, I am hoping Crash 1 sees this because he will know. My Truck is definately faster but I think it is mostly the new transmission and 4:10 gears. I am sure the Pro M is doing its share also.

Old 11-06-2000, 11:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... FLATS MAN : If your going to upgrade to the 75mm throttle body, you did the right thing in porting to match the diameters. I did this last year to match up to my ported STOCK 70mm throttle body. The stock TB is 70mm from the butterfly to the intake bend, but the begining of the stock TB is only 66-67mm in diameter. I bought two sanding paddle wheels that were about 3 inches in diameter. One 60 grit and one 180 grit. I removed most of the meterial with the 60 grit and then finely finished with the 180 grit. Looks like a mirror!LOL! I too just tapered the 1st inch of the 90 degree bend to the same diameter of the TB. Amazingly the 90 degree bends diameter was only 67mm. I measured all diameters with a digital caliper. Now I am going to install a BBK 75MM TB soon and since I have this week off for vacation I decided to get the 90 degree bend ready for the new TB. I took the entire 90 degree intake bend off the truck and stripped it bare.(removing EGR and IAC) I then took a large CARBIDE porting cutter, (cylinder shaped with rounded end) and removed about an 1/8TH of an inch of material all the way through the entire 90 degree bend. I used a 75mm template (drinking glass lol!) and traced the desired 75mm entrance on to the 90 dgree bend. I then used the 60 grit sanding wheel to contour the surface smooth. Then finished up with the 180 grit sanding wheel to make it like a mirrored finish. I then stuck damp rags down the lower intake (still on truck) where the 90 dgree bend mounts. I gasket match ported the first inch to match the now custom ported 90 dgree bend. In this large intake port there is a small wall of aluminum that divides the incoming air to the left and right plenums. It works the same way a duel plane intake compared to a single plane intake like on carburated intakeked engines. This "WALL" is squared off. I simply ported this wall to a point to help contour the incoming air. I've only put about an hour of driving time with this mod, but it feels to me that it pulls to 5500RPM just a little bit better and feels like it has a tiny bit more low end. Throttle responce feels quicker. This is all with my still stock 70mm TB. I can't wait till I get my 75mm TB !LOL! FLATS MAN : I would suggest to you to try to port the entire 90 degree bend to see maximum results. I plan on getting another "99" 5.4 lower intake from a local salvage yard and sending it to EXTRUNE HONE to have it extrune honed. Then gasket match port the intake ports on the heads to the intake.

------------------
NEAL " THE H.P FREAK"
'99' F-150 XLT SPORT, oxford white, reg cab shortbox stepside,5.4, auto, 4.10L.S, captain's chairs, bedliner, GTS carbon fiber headlight covers, ***** CEPECK clear halogen driving lights, GTS slotted tailight covers (painted oxford white), fiberglass smooth wiper cowl (painted OXFORD WHITE), FORD locking lug nuts, tinted windows,true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes and FLOWMASTER 3 chamber mufflers with 3' tailpipes exiting before the rear wheel like the LIGHTNING, HELLWIG rear stabalizer bar, 3 AUTOMETER guage pods, filled with tranny temp, engine temp, and oil preasure AUTOMETER "PHANTOM" guages,custom fabricated air intake trac and huge K/N filter, TPS mod, BELLTECH 2-inch rear drop, custom programed SUPERCHIP, BAUMANN ENGINEERING shift kit (on stage 5 setting)BYPASS CLUTCH CONTROL VALVE/PREASURE REGULATOR VALVE, ASP POWER PULLEYS, custom tig welded and ported JBA "JET BLACK coated headers, twin DERALE 16 INCH ELECTRIC FANS, PERMA COOL 14"/10" tranny cooler with 10" electric fan, custom ported (STOCK) throttle body, custom digital air intake temp sensor

FUTURE MODS : FORD SVT 24LB INJECTORS, CUSTOM SUPERCHIP FLIP-CHIP, BBK 75MM THROTTLE BODY, PRO-M MASS AIR METER, AADI F1 RAM AIR HOOD WITH CUSTOM FABRICATED RAM AIR SET-UP, CAL-TRAC traction bars, EXTRUNE HONED intake manifold, 90/10 FRONT CE SHOCKS, 70/30 REAR CE SHOCKS, BELL TECH 2/4 drop, EXPEDITION center console, HARLEY DAVISON F-150 lower valance, and a KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA supercharger.

ESTIMATED H.P TO DATE : 345H.P / 425ft/lbs of torque.

CURRENT PERFORMANCE : 1/4 MILE - 14.53E.T * MPH - 93.00 * 0-60MPH - 5.8 * 1/8 MILE - 9.2 * 60 FT - 2.0
OTHER TOYS : "83" PRO STREET FORD RANGER : 351-w stroked to 408c.i 625H.P (natural), 875H.P with 250H.P "BIG SHOT" N.O.S kit, tubbed (crome moly tubing), 12 point chrome moly roll cage, 4-link with coil overs, MUSTANG II front suspension, c-4 tranny (race prepped), 4000rpm stall converter(8 INCH), 3" chrome moly driveshaft,AUTOMETER guages, 15.50 MICKEY THOMPSON rear tires, 4" M/T front tires, CENTERLINE CON-VO PRO rims, fiberglass hood - bumper - prostock hood scoop, wishbone trac-link, two chrome moly driveshaft loops, 16 gallon RCI fuel cell,etc

[This message has been edited by Neal (edited 11-06-2000).]

Old 11-07-2000, 04:24 AM
Thumbs up

I can second what Neal has said! I have also done this and could tell a better throttle response and it "feels" more alive, even with the Magnacharger. Its a cheap mod for those with the 75mm, just time consuming. Humm...I wonder what else we can do, hehe!

------------------
'98 EB Expy 4x4
5.4L 3.73 LS
Trail.Tow & Skidplate Pkg.

DA MODS....

** Custom Fab. 4" Cold Air Enclosure
** Pro-M 80mm MAF w/Filter & SC cal.(Enclosed)
** WMS Velocity Tube
** 75mm Edelbrock/BBK TB
** Hand Ported TB/Intake Elbow
** Magnason/Eaton M90 Supercharger
** Autometer Boost Gauge w/ A-pillar mounted pod
** Cust. Prog. Superchip
** JBA Jet Black Ceramic Coated Headers
** Stage 8 Locking Header Bolts
** Gibson Sweptside Catback
** IPD Rear Anti-Swaybar
** Bilstein Shocks
** Manik Grill/Brush and Rear Taillight Guards
** PIAA 520 Foglights
** Clear Corner Lens
** Stull Billet Grill and Bumper Insert
** Ford Molded Mud Guards
** Ford Hood Guard
** "EXPEDITION" Receiver Cover

COMING UP NEXT, IN THE FUTURE....

** 4.30 gears
** Brembo Crossed Drilled Brake Kit
** 18" Wheels, due to Brembos
** F1 Cobra style hood

"Its Sooo Big...Its Gotta to be Blown!"

Old 11-07-2000, 08:19 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is COOL!! It's like reading about all the stuff they custom built in the late 40's and early 50's,before hot rod parts were available off the shelf. Hot rodding is born again,COOL!

------------------
98 F-150 4.6 Litre XLT2wd Ext. cab
prarie tan/tan int.
K/N gen.II fipk
custom dual exh/gibson rectangle tips/rear exiting.
color matched snuglid
Superchip!!!
Westin nerfs blk .powdercoat
Clear front corners
Cobra 75WXST cb w/weather alert
Kenwood cd w/Radio Shack speakers,don't laugh it sounds pretty good
Viper 500HF Security system
On the way/wheels,tires,air dam, etc..etc.......
doin the monochromatic boogie
on the front end.Billet grilles on order
www.my-f150.com
Fender Guitars,ROCK!!!
http://www.bigsandy.net
officialtomwaits.com
reverendhortonheat.com

Old 11-07-2000, 09:20 AM
Cool

Neal, I am very impressed! I can't take credit for the original idea of the porting as I was told by Chris at Magnacharger to go in that direction. He said that instead of putting a smaller pully on, that I should work on porting the intake as that was where most of the restrictions were for a supercharged motor. Have you thought of porting these intakes as a "part time job?" Do you work in a machine shop? It is good to know where you are on your project as you are running ahead of me. I didn't think anyone had been there yet and that is why I made the post for a heads up. My next step is to pull the intake and start working on the bottom end. I think it is a great idea to try to find another intake to work with so I don't have the down time for a Boo Boo. Is the 5.4L and 4.6L intakes the same or different? If you run across an extra intake let me know. I will do like wise down here. You are really setting your truck up beautifully for the blower and I am sure you will see lightning times or better! Stay in touch.

Old 11-07-2000, 09:29 AM
Cool

I forgot to mention that there is quit a bit of pedal slop when you go to the BBK TB. I had about two inches of extra throttle cable after the install and was not getting near full throttle. This is because of the design difference between the stock TB and the BBK. I ended up clipping the cable at the pedal and pulling it through to the engine, then slid a very small diameter tube over the cable to the point where it attached to the TB, then put the cable back in the housing to the pedal (not easy) then secured the cable and now I have absolutely no pedal slop, I get full throttle opening, and my pedal is even with the brake pedal instead of below it. Big improvement!

Old 11-07-2000, 07:02 PM
Cool

HI!... FLATS MAN : No I don't work at a machine shop. I WISH!lol! After about 4 hours of porting and finishing on my 90 degree bend, I don't think I will be in the mood to port another for a long time.lol!The 5.4 and 4.6 use different intakes, similar differences like between the 302 to 351-w. Taller deck height. FLATS MAN : As you can see from my SIG my truck is already running close to a stock LIGHTNING, 14.53. The LIGHTNING's around here are only running between 13.9 to 14.4 STOCK. I could of gone a 14.30 I think, but I was running out of fuel on the top end. DAM 19lb injectors!LOL! I plan on installing 24lb injectors soon. My goal right now is to get my truck to run 13.80 NATURALLY ASPERATED! With the custom FLIP CHIP MIKE T. is building for me and a BBK TB, PRO-M meter and CALTRAC's, I think it will do it. Then when I add the KENNE BELL I plan on it going 12's!LOL! By then I might have to have a talk with you about your ATR CARR tranny!LOL!

------------------
NEAL " THE H.P FREAK"
'99' F-150 XLT SPORT, oxford white, reg cab shortbox stepside,5.4, auto, 4.10L.S, captain's chairs, bedliner, GTS carbon fiber headlight covers, ***** CEPECK clear halogen driving lights, GTS slotted tailight covers (painted oxford white), fiberglass smooth wiper cowl (painted OXFORD WHITE), FORD locking lug nuts, tinted windows,true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes and FLOWMASTER 3 chamber mufflers with 3' tailpipes exiting before the rear wheel like the LIGHTNING, HELLWIG rear stabalizer bar, 3 AUTOMETER guage pods, filled with tranny temp, engine temp, and oil preasure AUTOMETER "PHANTOM" guages,custom fabricated air intake trac and huge K/N filter, TPS mod, BELLTECH 2-inch rear drop, custom programed SUPERCHIP, BAUMANN ENGINEERING shift kit (on stage 5 setting)BYPASS CLUTCH CONTROL VALVE/PREASURE REGULATOR VALVE, ASP POWER PULLEYS, custom tig welded and ported JBA "JET BLACK coated headers, twin DERALE 16 INCH ELECTRIC FANS, PERMA COOL 14"/10" tranny cooler with 10" electric fan, custom ported (STOCK) throttle body, custom digital air intake temp sensor

FUTURE MODS : FORD SVT 24LB INJECTORS, CUSTOM SUPERCHIP FLIP-CHIP, BBK 75MM THROTTLE BODY, PRO-M MASS AIR METER, AADI F1 RAM AIR HOOD WITH CUSTOM FABRICATED RAM AIR SET-UP, CAL-TRAC traction bars, EXTRUNE HONED intake manifold, 90/10 FRONT CE SHOCKS, 70/30 REAR CE SHOCKS, BELL TECH 2/4 drop, EXPEDITION center console, HARLEY DAVISON F-150 lower valance, and a KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA supercharger.

CURRENT PERFORMANCE : 1/4 MILE - 14.53E.T * MPH - 93.00 * 0-60MPH - 5.8 * 1/8 MILE - 9.2 * 60 FT - 2.0
OTHER TOYS : "83" PRO STREET FORD RANGER : 351-w stroked to 408c.i 625H.P (natural), 875H.P with 250H.P "BIG SHOT" N.O.S kit, tubbed (crome moly tubing), 12 point chrome moly roll cage, 4-link with coil overs, MUSTANG II front suspension, c-4 tranny (race prepped), 4000rpm stall converter(8 INCH), 3" chrome moly driveshaft,AUTOMETER guages, 15.50 MICKEY THOMPSON rear tires, 4" M/T front tires, CENTERLINE CON-VO PRO rims, fiberglass hood - bumper - prostock hood scoop, wishbone trac-link, two chrome moly driveshaft loops, 16 gallon RCI fuel cell,etc

Old 11-07-2000, 08:14 PM
Cool

Neal-I have typed two long responses and the computer went off line both times before I could submit my responses. My e-mail is : fredrglenn@cs.com so drop me a line and we can compare notes. The new tranny will probably be in your future after you get the blower. Thanks and good luck to you.

Old 11-08-2000, 09:35 PM
Cool

HI!... Hey guys I just came up with another mod pertaining to our air intake system. I was looking through some aftermarket throttle body books today and noticed one thing. Some of the "HIGH FLOW" TB's have half of there "BUTTERFLY" shaft removed. The butterfly is being secured by the rear (threaded) half of the shaft only. So today I removed my TB and machined the front half shaft off. I cut it back about 1mm inside the TB housing and contoured it so I would not get any STRESS cracks. I then replaced the BUTTERFLY screws with low profile tapered screws and LOCK TIGHTED them in place. I then removed the extra screw material protruding past the back of the BUTTERFLY with a carbide bit on a DREMEL. You must totally disasemble the TB including the TPS so not to contaminate or damage the bearings inside. While my TB was apart I went ahead and polished the BUTTERFLY and the TB itself. It looks almost brand new. I then oiled the "O" rings on the BUTTERFLY shaft and re-greased the bearings. I then put it all back together and installed it on my truck. Make sure you re-set your TPS to 0.98-0.99. I tried it tonight and there seems to be an improvement in throttle response and low end power slightly.

QUESTION : The BBK/EDELBROCK 75mm TB. Does it have the BUTTERFLY shaft only using the rear side or does it use the same set-up as the stock TB does. THANKS "THE H.P FREAK"

------------------
NEAL " THE H.P FREAK"

Old 11-08-2000, 10:53 PM
Cool

Neal-I will be working on my truck tomorrow and I have the stock TB in the garage. I will compare it to the 75mm BBK and let you know what I find.

Old 11-08-2000, 11:00 PM
Question

HI!... FLATS MAN : Thanks! By the way have you had a chance to run your truck down the 1/4 mile yet? If not recently, what is your best time so far at the track. Just curious!LOL

------------------
NEAL " THE H.P FREAK"

Old 11-09-2000, 07:22 AM
Cool

Neal-I haven't run the 1/4 yet but that is where I am headed. In fact I have never run a legal 1/4 in my life, just an old street racer. The dyno #'s I am shooting for are 275 HP at the RW's or about 335 HP at the fly wheel. I think that would put me down the 1/4 in the high 13's at close to 100 mph.
I had to change my transmission before I could go any further and this new tranny seems a lot more efficient so I probably will have some gains over the 4R70W with the shift kit. I had some long post on your performance which I lost due to going off line, but you are setting your truck up perfectly for your blower! You "may" have to look at an upgraded ignition down the road but I am sure you are working on that. I am very happy with the Jacobs DIS but they haven't figured out the 5.4L the last time I talked to them. You have a good transmission but after getting the blower I think maybe a different torque converter and clutch pack will probably do it for you. These are just my best educated thoughts. I will check on the stock butter fly and the one in the BBK today and get back to you. Take Care!

Old 11-09-2000, 11:59 PM
Cool

HI!... FLATS MAN : YA, I'm an old street racer as well. Have you ever checked out "VICTORIES AND DEFEATS FOE NEAL" in the COMPUTER CHIPS section!LOL! You'll get a laugh out of the threads. By the way you will need about 360H.P (at the flywheel) or 295H.P (at the rear wheels) to run a high 13 second time at the dragstrip. MIKE T. and I figure I have 330H.P at the flywheel. My DRAGMATH program whick is really accurate, says I have 332H.P at the flywheel according to my 14.53 1/4 mile time. MIKE T. told me that our trucks loose 65H.P through the drivetrain according to SUPERCHIP's "EDDY" current dyno. That means I'm roughly making about 267H.P at the rear wheels. HURRY up and get to the track!LOL! I'm curious to hear what your truck runs.

------------------
NEAL " THE H.P FREAK"
'99' F-150 XLT SPORT, oxford white, reg cab shortbox stepside,5.4, auto, 4.10L.S, captain's chairs, bedliner, GTS carbon fiber headlight covers, ***** CEPECK clear halogen driving lights, GTS slotted tailight covers (painted oxford white), fiberglass smooth wiper cowl (painted OXFORD WHITE), FORD locking lug nuts, tinted windows,true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes and FLOWMASTER 3 chamber mufflers with 3' tailpipes exiting before the rear wheel like the LIGHTNING, HELLWIG rear stabalizer bar, 3 AUTOMETER guage pods, filled with tranny temp, engine temp, and oil preasure AUTOMETER "PHANTOM" guages,custom fabricated air intake trac and huge K/N filter, TPS mod, BELLTECH 2-inch rear drop, custom programed SUPERCHIP, BAUMANN ENGINEERING shift kit (on stage 5 setting)BYPASS CLUTCH CONTROL VALVE/PREASURE REGULATOR VALVE, ASP POWER PULLEYS, custom tig welded and ported JBA "JET BLACK coated headers, twin DERALE 16 INCH ELECTRIC FANS, PERMA COOL 14"/10" tranny cooler with 10" electric fan, custom ported (STOCK) throttle body, custom digital air intake temp sensor, custom ported TB intake elbow, relocated ATS.

FUTURE MODS : FORD SVT 24LB INJECTORS, CUSTOM SUPERCHIP FLIP-CHIP, BBK 75MM THROTTLE BODY, 80MM PRO-M MASS AIR METER, AADI F1 RAM AIR HOOD WITH CUSTOM FABRICATED RAM AIR SET-UP, CAL-TRAC TRACTION BARS, EXTRUDE HONED INTAKE MANIFOLD, SHM CUSTOM FUEL RAILS, SHM "RACE WATER PUMP, 90/10 FRONT CE SHOCKS, 70/30 REAR CE SHOCKS, BELL TECH 2/4 DROP, EXPEDITION CENTER CONSOLE, HARLEY DAVISON F-150, LOWER FRONT VALANCE (painted oxford white) and a KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA SUPERCHARGER.

Quick Reply: 75 MM BBK and Magnacharger Intake