Can we stand just one more discussion on K&N filters?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2002, 08:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can we stand just one more discussion on K&N filters?

I was ready to buy a K&N, but thought I would pose the question to Pat Goss. Pat is in the N. VA area and has a (syndicated I believe) radio show on Saturdays and Sundays here. He also has a TV show. He is a wealth of knowledge and someone whose opinion I trust and value.

I posed my question on the air Sunday. "I have a '01 F-150 with a 5.4 and am considering a K&N filter. Tell me your knowledge of them, whether they are worth their money, and if they void the truck's warranty."

I'll paraphrase his answer. "If your looking to never replace an air filter again, buy a K&N - if you don't mind cleaning it and oiling it from time to time. They do a great job keeping dust out of the engine. If you're looking for increased gas mileage or more horsepower, you're not gonna get it with just a K&N filter. The engine is programmed to get ONLY the air it needs, and nothing more, even if it is sitting in the open atmosphere with all the air in the world available to it. A K&N will give you some, SOME, benefit at WOT, but you probably will not notice it. For my money, I prefer a paper filter without all the cleaning and oiling hassels."

So, I put this out for comment. I think his reasoning sounds completely logical, but I'm sure there are those that have tests to prove otherwise.

Let the debate begin.

Old 01-14-2002, 08:38 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Red face

What's to debate. I like his answer. If you don't do any further research, then that's as good as any I've heard. If you want to get as deep as what "micron" level of dust gets past a K&N, then just get a paper one.

Old 01-14-2002, 09:03 PM
Hi Uga

What you posted seems to be a reasonable statement.

No...not gonna debate etc....been there done that! If you did a search..then you saw all the old posts on K&N & others.

I just use the drop in K&N..used it long enough now that it has more than paid for itself. Engine runs great and smog test super clean. Not everyone likes to get there hands dirty. So..no pain..no gain

There maybe some measurable gains with the "FIPK". I have no personal experience with one.

Good luck....OT

Old 01-14-2002, 09:27 PM
You'd replace the paper filter about what, every 15000 miles or so? You clean the K&N about every 50000 miles or so. About $10 to clean it 1 or 2 time in it's life, the trucks life maybe.

His answer has a lot of merit.

With a boat, I want to install a K&N on the 7.4 Merc in mine. I'll see zero performance gain! Yep, all that for over $200. What I will get is air into the big block (and it sucks a lot, along with a lot of fuel) that's been filtered! Stock they have a flame arrestor that doesn't filter much at all. A K&N is a flame arrestor and it filters the air. It's just a comfort thing. Kind of the same with your truck but a lot less money. Add "marine" to anything and it goes up 285% in price.

Old 01-14-2002, 10:03 PM
Oh No You Don't!!!
You're not going to sucker me into another damn K&N discusion. I've said my piece, look it up if you like. I will say this...Me and Pat...like 2 peas in a pod on the subject.

Old 01-14-2002, 10:27 PM
air filter on a boat?

why would you want to filter the air on a boat, there is no dust on the water. outboards don't have air filters,jet skies don't either. I have never ran a filter on my boat, and don't think they make filters for outboards. I have always been one for extra protection, but i don't know if i would spend 200$ on a filter for a boat.

Old 01-14-2002, 10:41 PM
I've just got the drop in filter and to me it doesn't appear as though I've picked up SIGNIFICANT performance gains . . .

However, after putting a stock filter back in and comparing (after 2 years of a K&N) I got the feeling that the truck was working a little harder to get the same performance as with the K&N . . .

Maybe it's just my perception but it felt like it didn't have to breathe as hard with the K&N to get the same out of the truck . . . they both do the same but one feels like it's doing it easier. Maybe I'm crazy but that's what I thought. I think it's a worthwhile mod. I may try a FIPK next year along with a new cat-back system and Superchip . . . that should be very noticeable

Old 01-15-2002, 10:19 AM
I started out by purchasing just a K&N filter from a purely "economical" perspective. Over the life of the truck, it would probably be cheaper AND provide the additional benefit of letting more air in. What I found was that you will not really notice almost any performance gain by just replacing the filter. However, once I invested in an FIPK, the performance gain was noticable -- not to mention that the four-barrell "sound" is awesome

Note, though, that if you plan on purchasing an FIPK over the next year my recommendation would be to hold off on buying the stand-alone filter since you get one with the system. This will save you about $50.

Old 01-15-2002, 04:12 PM
Pat Goss Rules!

He is a wise old goat with new world smarts! Don't ever call him and tell him "I've been doing it for years" he will tear you a new one!

Bottom line, he knows his stuff! He owns a well known car shop in Maryland, has been on the show Motorweek for years, and has had a syndicated radio show for almost 20 years!

Listen and learn!

Peace-

Old 01-15-2002, 04:35 PM
I don't want to dis K&N but I did have 2 problems with my K&N and have since through it in the trash.

1st problem is that I would have a high rev when comming up to stop signs and red lights. Then after about 10-15 secs it would come back to normal. It did this the whole 2 years I owned the filter.

2nd was the neoprene ring that seals out the dust when it is installed went to crap. it came totally off. I don't know when but I'm sure I was sucking some dirt during that time!!

So any how I tossed it and bought a paper filter. I figure that is better insurance than allowing dirt into my engine by accident.

Prior to putting the paper filter back in, I performed an intake cleaning with some power foam. This seem to correct the idle problem and I have not had a problem since then about 5,000 miles.

As far as oil analysis during that time, it did not show any unusual high silicon levels to indicate dirt ingestion. So I would say that the K&N did its job of filtration, It was just the idling problem that really bugged me.

BTW I saw no mpg improvement with the K&N. Or any decrease with the paper.

Though I do see better mpgs when I periodiacally use a gasoline additive like Amsoil's PI.
http://www.amsoil.com/products/api.html

I also have used Chevron Techron in the past with good results, it just a little expensive though especially when you only get 1 use out of the bottle.

Old 01-15-2002, 06:11 PM
Howdy All,

Here is a letter from K&N.

http://www.ford-diesel.com/contents/...20The%20Editor

Old 01-15-2002, 06:20 PM
5.4, what is the blue things that are in front of the 3 carbs in the pic below.

True, most watercraft dont have filters, but the 200 and up HP ones do.

Old 01-15-2002, 07:18 PM
Thumbs up

TKS. to LoneWolf

For link on letter from K&N...

As you may recall, we recently found out for sure that Ford Motor Co. reads posts on this public forum/site..F150online. (radiator)

now we know for sure that K&N also reads public forums...and how many more do the same Times are a changin! Keep it coming.

No, im not gonna debate letter....

Good luck....OT

Old 01-16-2002, 10:07 AM
Nice letter from K&N. Wish he would have given at least some of us guys a fair shake in that we do know what the heck we are talking about. I liked the part about the paper filter doing 99% of the job. Funny, that's what I've been trying to say except I'm not an engineer or anything. Course, I don't own shares in K&N either.

Old 01-16-2002, 11:02 AM
Re: Can we stand just one more discussion on K&N filters?

Originally posted by uga1988
The engine is programmed to get ONLY the air it needs, and nothing more, even if it is sitting in the open atmosphere with all the air in the world available to it.
This is the part I do not understand. If my engine is getting all the air it needs from my stock airbox/filter, how is it that an FIPK can add up to 18 HP?

My logic says increased air flow equals better performance. Where am I missing the boat?

Quick Reply: Can we stand just one more discussion on K&N filters?