'08 F150 5.4L 76K miles needs new engine already?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 07:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 F150 5.4L 76K miles needs new engine already?

So I took my '08 F150 5.4L (76k miles) in to my mechanic today because I had self diagnosed the VCT issue with my engine knocking/bucking when slowing down under 1000 RPM. So a little while after dropping it off, my mechanic calls me and says I need a new engine. According to him my engine code was reading as the VCT but he also talked with Japser engines about the issue and they told him it needed a new engine because the engine has some serious design flaws. They said (Jasper) that the 5.4L engine from day one has been starved for oil throughout the entire engine. Evidently the oil pump system is poorly engineered-so much so that they won't warranty the new engine unless you also put in their new oil pump system. The concern is that my engine is worn out because it hasn't gotten enough oil in the system. I want to point out that this is what they say, but neither my mechanic nor Jasper has actually looked inside the engine to see how much wear is actually inside the engine.

So the solution is a new (not remanufactured) $8100 Japser engine which supposedly has 40 fixes to it. I asked my mechanic how much would it be just to replace the VCT's, as it seems many people have had good luck, but my mechanic wants a little north of $600 and I don't really want to spend that much to find out I still need a new engine.

It's also hard to drop a whole new engine in when I read posts like this (http://www.f150forum.com/f4/final-re...-sound-141266/) that says a new engine is not always necessary. I trust my mechanic, but considering no one has actually looked in the engine to make sure it really needs to be replaced and it's Jasper who's tell him to replace it, I am a little less trusting right now.

So I do have another guy who can work on the truck for possibly less money and maybe save this engine, but I am trying to figure out if I would just be throwing money down the drain at this point. If it were an '06 or older I would try replacing the VCT's myself, but it seems to be pretty involved to remove the valve cover and I don't have that much experience.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is it worth trying to have someone open it up and see what's bad or should I just bite the bullet and spend the $8100 (it would have a 3 year warranty which is a plus...but that's about the only plus.)

Old 01-15-2016, 08:16 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
$8100 is a whole lot of cash! Jasper I think is the Ford supplier for remans. Cant believe how much they want. Unreal..

Old 01-15-2016, 08:16 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
My initial thoughts are yer mechanic has lost his mind. But I don't have the truck in front of me either. The 5.4 can be an extremely long life engine. There is a website called The Million Mile Van and it had the 2V 5.4 in it and yes, it went well over 1 million miles and on the cheapest oil the guy could find. Changed it religiously too, like when he thought about or every 10-15000 miles. I'm assuming you are asking about the VCT solenoids. If you can change a tire, you can change them yourself. It's not rocket science. Here's a vid how to do it. I'd certainly try changing them before spending 8 grand on this truck. Frankly, I wouldn't fix the truck if the VCT solenoids doesn't do it. I'd trade it in considering your truck is probably paid for and add another 8 grand to it would leave you a small payment.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by Labnerd
My initial thoughts are yer mechanic has lost his mind. But I don't have the truck in front of me either. The 5.4 can be an extremely long life engine. There is a website called The Million Mile Van and it had the 2V 5.4 in it and yes, it went well over 1 million miles and on the cheapest oil the guy could find. Changed it religiously too, like when he thought about or every 10-15000 miles. I'm assuming you are asking about the VCT solenoids. If you can change a tire, you can change them yourself. It's not rocket science. Here's a vid how to do it. I'd certainly try changing them before spending 8 grand on this truck. Frankly, I wouldn't fix the truck if the VCT solenoids doesn't do it. I'd trade it in considering your truck is probably paid for and add another 8 grand to it would leave you a small payment.
1994-2015 Ford F150 5.4L & 4.6L VCT Solenoid Replacement - YouTube
That video is for an '06 and before 5.4L engine, mine is the '08 which requires you take off the valve cover to do it.

I am almost leaning towards having this other guy start into the VCT's and while he's in there take a look at the phasers, tensioners, etc. and if they look bad, go ahead and do them and the oil pump (with the new oil pump that has the cast iron backer plate.)

I actually started researching this afternoon about trading it in. My issue is I am not sure I would get all that much money for it. KBB says $13.5k dealer trade in, but I doubt they would give me anywhere near that much if they knew the engine was having issues.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by jethat
$8100 is a whole lot of cash! Jasper I think is the Ford supplier for remans. Cant believe how much they want. Unreal..
It is. However, it's supposedly a new engine and not a remanufactured one, which makes a little more sense. Plus, that's labor/tax/everything.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:00 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Why exactly does it need a new engine? Is the noise coming from the valve train or the rod bearings? Sounds a lot to me like they just want you to buy this "new, improved" engine.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by Roadie
Why exactly does it need a new engine? Is the noise coming from the valve train or the rod bearings? Sounds a lot to me like they just want you to buy this "new, improved" engine.
I was a little out of it after I answered the phone and the mechanic said, you need a new engine, it'll be $8100. So it's a little fuzzy what exactly was said, but it was pretty much that the engine has major design flaws and that the motor was being starved for oil. I think the idea is that because it's starved for oil the engine has been worn out inside. However, it runs great except after warming up and then going down below 1000 RPM's. I just drove it 300+ miles pulling a 3000lb trailer and it had plenty of power and sounded great except when I slowed down pulling off the interstate. The two noises are the normal diesel ticking noise (which it's had since I bought it two years ago at 67k miles) and now the shaking rattling at the slowing down RPM. I want to note that the shaking/rattling really only happens when I am slowing down. If the engine is warmed up and I move it from park to drive, it doesn't do it-even when slowing down it settles itself out.

I think I am leaning towards having this other guy start to tear into it and replacing what needs to be replaced. If the motor is in really bad shape I'll have a few hundred in labor costs, but at least I'll know I actually need a new motor instead of being told I do just because of a VCT code coming up. But if I do this, should I just go ahead and put lockouts in the sucker?

Old 01-16-2016, 02:52 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just had a similar situation. Instead of a new engine ($8700) I'm installing new timing set, vcts and oil pump for much less. Get a 2nd opinion and/or have someone you can trust diagnose it.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:51 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
If you bought it used, you have no idea how well it was maintained. The 5.4 3V needs meticulous maintenance to avoid these issues.

I'd pull the valve covers, if you see a lot of sludge, get a new engine.

By the way - the Jasper is not a "new" engine - it is a reman. The only way to get a "new" engine is a crate motor from Ford, if they even have any left.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:30 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It seems to be hit or miss with 5.4 3v's . I've owned two of these motors with no issues however I have one friend who had a King Ranch pickup & his blew up at 80K miles? Puzzling to say the least.

Old 01-17-2016, 05:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by macville
It is. However, it's supposedly a new engine and not a remanufactured one, which makes a little more sense. Plus, that's labor/tax/everything.
They don't make them new! Jasper is a Ford supplier of re-manufactured engines! They supply ford with rebuilds because even the dealers cant get new engines. There out of production. Who knows maybe Jasper stock piled a bunch of blocks. I doubt it though.

Old 01-17-2016, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by jethat
They don't make them new! Jasper is a Ford supplier of re-manufactured engines! They supply ford with rebuilds because even the dealers cant get new engines. There out of production. Who knows maybe Jasper stock piled a bunch of blocks. I doubt it though.
My mechanic said it was actually a new motor, but I am really starting to wonder if it's not a rebuild with all their updates added on to it. For $8100 I certainly wouldn't be happy with a rebuild. But it doesn't matter as with parts and labor, I found a mechanic that'll do it for under $2k ($700 labor plus parts.)

Quick Reply: '08 F150 5.4L 76K miles needs new engine already?