Replacing non idler pullies?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 08:20 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Replacing non idler pullies?

I'm not sure on this. I was reading my Haynes trying to figure it out.

2004 5.4 3v... I did a write-up on here about the idler replacement last year but I have a squeaking again and it's from other pullies. If I am not mistaken, one is for the water pump? The crank pulley is down at the bottom and the alternator pulley is attached to the alternator. How do I tell which one is squeaking? Is there an easy way? The water pump one or alternator I could see being the culprit. When it's cold, it squeaks for a while and then goes away. It sounds bad though until it goes away. When wet (like after rain or washing) it squeaks for a bit then goes away. During the summer/spring, I don't hear anything. This is the second year in a row so I'd like to nip it in the butt.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:28 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
I'm not sure on this. I was reading my Haynes trying to figure it out.

2004 5.4 3v... I did a write-up on here about the idler replacement last year but I have a squeaking again and it's from other pullies. If I am not mistaken, one is for the water pump? The crank pulley is down at the bottom and the alternator pulley is attached to the alternator. How do I tell which one is squeaking? Is there an easy way? The water pump one or alternator I could see being the culprit. When it's cold, it squeaks for a while and then goes away. It sounds bad though until it goes away. When wet (like after rain or washing) it squeaks for a bit then goes away. During the summer/spring, I don't hear anything. This is the second year in a row so I'd like to nip it in the butt.
You need to think this through - none of those pulleys have an integral beearing - the only components with a integral bearing are the alternator & A/C compressor / clutch - the other two are directly connected to the components behind them.

Does the answer now become evident?

Temporarily removing the belt will tell you if it is indeed that alt bearing or A/C compressor /clutch (further isolation provided via the MAX A/C function - enabling the compressor).

It *may* be the water pump itself - does it leak?

Lastly - very unlike the large crank pulley is going to cause this with a fresh new Gatorback .... oh wait, you dint USE a Gatorback

You could always try to clean / burnish the pulley surfaces themselves - along with fresh belt... see if that makes any difference.

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 11-30-2014 at 08:49 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like the power steering pump to me. I know our Fords have a loud power steering pumps when its cold. When it was -20 here both my 07 and 02 with a brand new power steering pump squealed for at least 30 seconds. then went away. My 07 would squeal longer than my 02 tho.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by thelariat02
Sounds like the power steering pump to me. I know our Fords have a loud power steering pumps when its cold. When it was -20 here both my 07 and 02 with a brand new power steering pump squealed for at least 30 seconds. then went away. My 07 would squeal longer than my 02 tho.
AWWW Crap! Ol' Bubber plum fergot that'un! Again - nice catch, yungin'!

Yep dat booger gots a bearing ( not inna pulley itself, though ).

MGD

Old 11-30-2014, 08:56 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
The alternators also like to whistle when they're cold too....

Old 11-30-2014, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by 88racing
The alternators also like to whistle when they're cold too....
Yessir - reckon replacement is the only real cure in those cases. Unlike the p/s pump, which simply Loves Amsoil ATF

MGD

Old 12-01-2014, 05:42 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
OK thanks very much guys. That gives me a good place to start. I'll take a look this coming weekend.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:55 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
OK thanks very much guys. That gives me a good place to start. I'll take a look this coming weekend.
A mechanics stethoscope works wonders in pinpointing squeaks and other noises most of the time....

Quick Reply: Replacing non idler pullies?