2006 Expedition has been studdering.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Expedition has been studdering.

Hi,
I hope someone can help. I have a 2006 Expedition. I recently had an oil change. About a week later when driving it to work it ran awesome until I went to park then it started acting like it wanted to stall out. I pressed the gas peddle and it went away. I drove it home all was good until I went to park in my drive way. Same thing but this time I tripped a code P0022. I took it over to my mechanic where I had $2000 worth of work done to it (plugs and coils replaced, selinoids replaced because they where leaking, an engine treatment, fuel system cleaner, and fuel filter replaced). This was all done in February. Since then btwn 40-50mph it would jerk until I stepped more on the fas peddle. It runs perfect on the hwy and in town. It is the on ramps and the roads that has hills and speed limits 40-50mph.
After bringing it back to the shop they pulled the dip stick and saw I had clean oil. I told them I just had it changed four days prior. They saw it had a Fram oil filter. They said it has to be a Motorcraft oil filter because they have a pressure value to keep the oil in the crank case. Sounded like an easy fix. (I never heard of such thing but what do I know)? So the oil filter got changed they test drove it on the high way and in the city. No codes tripped no check engine light. They did not charge me for this. So after driving it most of the day. I was taking my family out of town and we got about 30 miles down the road. I pulled into a gas station to buy drinks. This time it acted up again and sounded like the engine was going to fall apart. Mind you this happened when I went to park and I was not on the gas. So we brought it back to the shop. They said it could be my fasers and that would be a 10 job and cost $2000 again. Wow! They did not want to tear back into the engine. This time they changed the oil. Put in engine cleaner and an additive. So far it only has been a few hick-ups but nothing like I felt or heard. What could this be? I hope someone has a clue. Because I don't even with my research. Apparently neither does my shop or they just don't want to do the work.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:44 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Moved to the V8 forum where the guys that can help will see it.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:10 PM
dmp
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, first off - you are being 'taken' for your money. I am very sorry to see that.

:-/

The brand of oil filter has NOTHING to do with your engine's issues.

What are 'fasers'??? Ask this as expeditionforum. com

Old 07-16-2014, 04:27 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by dmp
Well, first off - you are being 'taken' for your money. I am very sorry to see that.

First, you are correct that the symptom described is probably not due to the filter, but the shop was correct with their assessment of the Fram orange filters. They and many other cheap filters at the lube joints have an anti drain back valve made of cardboard that will collapse and cause the engine to be starved for oil on startup. They have also been known to come apart and clog oil passages. Replacing it was a good idea. Motorcraft, Purolater, Wix and other better filters use a plastic valve.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:30 PM
Global Moderator &

Here is a description for that code:

P0022 Intake Camshaft Position Timing - Over-Retarded (Bank 2)

Old 07-17-2014, 02:49 PM
Okay I noticed something today. I turned on my air and all of the sudden it started chugging. I turned it off it stopped then I turned it back on it did it again. I left it on and then it went away. Could it be coincidence or is it something I need to have looked at?

Thanks

Old 07-17-2014, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Here is a description for that code:

P0022 Intake Camshaft Position Timing - Over-Retarded (Bank 2)
Yeah I knew what the code ment. But I don't understand why my shop just won't fix it. One of the possible scenarios is the cylenoid sticks open and it allowing oil tonleak. I just had this replaced in February. Or the phasers are going bad. I read it is a 10 hr job. But apparently they don't want to do it or the money.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by dmp

I wasn't sure what phasers where either. So I googled it and they look like discs or cogs. They are inside the engine and keeps the pistons moving and in time. It is a 10 hr job to replace and bwtn $2000-3000 job.

Old 07-18-2014, 06:46 AM
dmp
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ Ugh - that's a kick in the nuts. I'm starting to hate this engine.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:57 PM
So far no major issues since the second oil change and the engine cleaner ran through. It still doesn't like speeds btwn 40-50. But then again it sounds like none of the engines made btwn 04-06 like those speeds. My father-inlaw says you spend good money on a vehicle it should perform without flaws, besides the minor maintainance.

Quick Reply: 2006 Expedition has been studdering.