The fight begins

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 12:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry The fight begins

I have a 2005 5.4L 3V with just over 102,000 miles on it and the other day had to take the truck into the dealership after it stopped running. I had taken it to my independent mechanic and they have already diagnosed it with a fuel injector stuck open and even found one cylinder to be full of raw fuel up to the spark plug.

After having the truck towed to the dealership they called to let me know they too had found one cylinder to have filled with fuel, the engine was hydro-locked, there was fuel in the oil, a cylinder had been washed out and they recommend a new motor at a cost of over $7,000 for just the motor. When I brought up that I thought the motor should be covered by the Customer Satisfaction Program for the stuck open injectors the service guy started to back peddle and said that they would have to get back with me on Monday because Customer Service wasn't open on weekends.

Why am I getting the feeling that the dealership is going to try and get out of repairing my truck on their dime. I'm seeing having to fight this with not only the dealership but corporate as well. I do think that I'll try to get them to replace the cat at the same time based on the information in the "stick" on this topic. No real point to this, just venting.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A 6 year old with 102,000 miles, why would Ford ever consider any help? At the very least, you are 42,000 miles out of any emissions warranty and 3 years out of the bumper to bumper coverage. What are you expecting?

Old 03-30-2014, 01:27 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by aussiekeeper
A 6 year old with 102,000 miles, why would Ford ever consider any help? At the very least, you are 42,000 miles out of any emissions warranty and 3 years out of the bumper to bumper coverage. What are you expecting?
What about Ford's letter extending the warranty to 120,000 on the 2005 injectors? It's a stickie thread at the top of the V8 forum.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:42 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yep your gonna get a new motor for free..

Old 03-30-2014, 09:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bluejay
What about Ford's letter extending the warranty to 120,000 on the 2005 injectors? It's a stickie thread at the top of the V8 forum.
I don't read the V8 forum, I have EcoBoost. So, yea, he will probably get a new one. My question would be, why didn't someone change the injectors before they took out an engine?

Old 03-30-2014, 09:54 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Because you don't know when it or if it will happen. I put 135,000 on a 2005 and never changed them. Ford is not going to change all of them for the small number that fail. Cheaper to replace engines on those.

Last edited by Bluejay; 03-30-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:19 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/sd...229_r07m08.pdf

11 years/120k. Covers all collateral damage too. It doesn't cost the dealer anything except a lower labor rate for the work, Ford picks up the tab.

They are only going to replace the stuck injector and reuse the rest, I'd recommend you pay them to replace the rest of them, or do it yourself when you get it back.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:38 AM
Or find them your self is what I'd do and ask them to install. If you buy the injectors from the dealer plan on close to $100 each. You can get them at rock auto for atleast half that.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:41 PM
I have the letter from ford states that they will cover any associated damage and let the dealership know that I knew about the program prior to authorizing any work. It is just that when the dealership called yesterday the employee that I spoke with didn't seam to want to help me get the new motor. Aussiekeeper it is like Bluejay said I had no indications or knowledge that the injectors were going to go, the engine just started to run rough on me and when I took it in they got to it 24 hrs. later and they told me what I mentioned in the initial post. jethat, I hope your right that I get the new motor and I'll replace the other injectors as soon as it gets back from the dealership.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by hdff2002
I have the letter from ford states that they will cover any associated damage and let the dealership know that I knew about the program prior to authorizing any work. It is just that when the dealership called yesterday the employee that I spoke with didn't seam to want to help me get the new motor. Aussiekeeper it is like Bluejay said I had no indications or knowledge that the injectors were going to go, the engine just started to run rough on me and when I took it in they got to it 24 hrs. later and they told me what I mentioned in the initial post. jethat, I hope your right that I get the new motor and I'll replace the other injectors as soon as it gets back from the dealership.
Contact Ford directly if you have to. Its covered under the extended coverage. Several people on this board have gotten that coverage everything from just a new injector to motors replaced.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:37 PM

They're required to give you a new engine for a stuck open injector . . .

Old 03-31-2014, 12:02 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
No, they are not required to give you a new engine. They will only REPAIR the damage, whatever that takes.

If you have any problem with the dealer, send a PM to member "FordService" - that's Ashley, our forum rep.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:10 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by aussiekeeper
A 6 year old with 102,000 miles, At the very least, you are 42,000 miles out of any emissions warranty
Federal emission warranty is 8/80

Old 04-04-2014, 01:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They will only cover what is damaged from the injector. I had one injector go on mine. I got one new injector a free oil change. then a week after that fix got the CEL code for the cat and went back and got a new cat put in. Truck had 91k or 92k on it at the time this happened in 2011.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:32 PM
Thought I would give an update to the story. It's been about a month since the problem started and I've probably gotten the most I'm going to get from the dealership at this point. I mentioned in an earlier post that the dealership was going to do more testing on the engine and they did, the replaced the starter and the motor turned over. Since the motor turned over the service manager said that at this point I only needed to have the stuck open valve replace and an oil change.

When I questioned them about how it could go from needing a new motor, when they thought it was on my dime, to only needing parts when they realized the cost would be on Ford the answer I got was more than suspect in my opinion. I was told that the service tech that first looked at my truck didn't do all the testing he should have and just 'shot from the hip' that I needed a new motor. This makes me feel sooo much better in taking my vehicles back to the dealership for further service work.

In the end they replaced the starter, changed out the leaking injector, changed the oil and filter with motorcraft (I have been using royal purple oil & filter for the last two years). They also said they would do another oil change at 500 past the repair and recheck the injectors and the compression on the motor to ensure that is still good. So far the truck has been running well but, I haven't really tested it yet. Just been doing the daily driver stuff, plan on putting a good load on it in the next couple of weeks with a good load of firewood for the camping season.

Quick Reply: The fight begins