Pcv valve i think

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 09:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pcv valve i think

Hey guys i been messin around trying to figure out why all of a sudden a massive oil leak occured but when we pulled her in the shop and cleaned the gallon of oil off the bottom side of everything, we found nothing. I was told check the pcv and i finially got to it but all we dis to check it was put a hose on it and suck on it, we could still blow air in but very slowly. I was also told to drill a small hole in my oil fill cap to let pressure out that way but have no idea what the consequences of that will be.. Is there a common place where this happens at a high mile mark? Or a part i dont know about? Or even if i checked things out good enough, any comments will be highly appreciated . Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 01-11-2014, 09:39 PM
Did you do an oil change recently?

Old 01-11-2014, 09:43 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
is oil leaking down on the starter? Thats a bad head gasket.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:51 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
A lot of things could be the problem. Before you cleaned off everything did you notice where the oil looked the cleanest or freshest? That would help you pin point it the source.

Since you said it was "all over the bottom" I would look for a loose or double gasketed oil filter. If you have a remote oil filter it could be a gasket or o-ring gone bad. Could be a main seal (front or rear).

Now that you have it all cleaned up, just keep a close eye on it and it should show itself.

And whoever told you to drill a hole in the filler cap is a fool, that may cause it to start throwing lean codes. Hunt down and fix what you got before you start adding problems on top of what you have now.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:02 PM
I agree with Jgger. I suspect a double filter gasket.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:17 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
It would not hurt to replace the PCV valve with a Motorcraft part. Leave the oil cap alone.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:52 PM
I dont have a clue where its leaking from but it was even up on my alternator, but it just all of a sudden quit like nothing was rong. So i dont know and its been a while since i changed my oil last but i could devvinately check it.. And is the oil cap really that bad of an idea just to see if the pcv valve is the problem? Not a permenent fix for sure but just for a test?

Old 01-12-2014, 12:36 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So are you adding oil? Do you change your oil or take it somewhere? The reason I ask is once I had the oil changed at the dealer and they spilled oil all over the top of the engine. I didn't know that and thought I had a leak and took it back, and they admited that they had spilled oil but thought they had cleaned it up.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:45 AM
glc
It would be a VERY BAD IDEA to drill a hole in the oil cap. As I said, it would not be a bad idea - in fact, it would be a GOOD idea to replace the PCV valve with a new MOTORCRAFT part.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:40 AM
I do change my oil, but this stuff was fresh . And how could i check and see if my pcv is bad withought taking the valve cover off? And explain why its a bad idea please

Old 01-12-2014, 03:23 AM
So explain why please and i have changed my own oil since the day i bought it

Old 01-12-2014, 07:45 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Which engine do you have? They have different PCV systems.

So no one added oil to it recently for any reason ?

The alternators wet ? You sure it's engine oil ?

How cold was it outside when this happened?

Iduno, the alternator being wet doesn't make sense.

Somethings missing here, - so after cleaning all that oil off the engine and such, - what did it read on the stick?

For now, I'd go with a stuck or frozen PCV valve. Those valves are heated electrically, - I believe on all 2005 models.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:26 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
BTW, - yea you HAVE TO run motorcraft PCV valves in these engines. Well, you don't have to, but you know what mean. Reason is and has been is that the Motorcraft valves have the wide flow margins that prevents blow-by build up,plugging and whatnot under the cam covers. So called after market OEM replacement valves are more less knockoff's. Their margins are way to tight and plug easily. In a cold environment and if you make frequent short trips, that combustion by-product "blow by" can freeze. With that, -the motor can no longer breath properly.

Chances are, all you have to do is clean the PCV system out , replace the valve /assembly and take the truck for about a 40 mile drive to clean it out; - burn off that blow-by that's stuck to the inside top of your cam covers.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:20 AM
glc
Oh - this is an 05 with a 5.4? It doesn't have a PCV valve per se - it a fixed orifice inside the cam cover. The cover does have to come off.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:29 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Quick Reply: Pcv valve i think