2006 e-fans and underdrive pulleys

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 12:09 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 e-fans and underdrive pulleys

Hey everyone I have a 2006 Roush F150 (5.4 3v not supercharged), I just ordered e-fans and underdrive pulleys.

I ordered Steeda underdrive pulleys (for a 2005-2010 mustang).

And e-fans from whites performance.

And a delta current control.

I have already ordered the stuff but I want to know what hp gains will I see at the wheels with these installed?

I have seen that people can tell a majordifference, but not an actual #. Once everthing gets here I will do a write up with pictures of the install of both so you guys can see how I did it.

Thanks for any responses and I'll do the install and write up as soon as I can.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:23 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 06 Roush
Hey everyone I have a 2006 Roush F150 (5.4 3v not supercharged), I just ordered e-fans and underdrive pulleys.

I ordered Steeda underdrive pulleys (for a 2005-2010 mustang).

And e-fans from whites performance.

And a delta current control.

I have already ordered the stuff but I want to know what hp gains will I see at the wheels with these installed?

I have seen that people can tell a majordifference, but not an actual #. Once everthing gets here I will do a write up with pictures of the install of both so you guys can see how I did it.

Thanks for any responses and I'll do the install and write up as soon as I can.
Hi.

You'll likely notice improved throttle response due to reduction in rotating mass. I doubt you will notice much in the way of SOTP apart from that, and any power gains without instrumented runs at a strip, or on a dyno.

Most folks cannot feel a 10-20hp change on a 6,000 lb truck, but a lot claim they can - if for no other reason than to justify the $$$ spent on a mod

Do you tow? You may have cooling issues in summer.

Which DCC controller, and what specific fans? I did not see any WP fans worth buying, and NONE of them had any technical specs at all - NOT a good sign. Yer completely in the dark w.r.t current draw, load/no-load CFM, etc. I mean, how can you size the controller properly without this info?

The ONLY fans I trust come from Spal, Derale, or Motorcraft ( Ford OEM for a 2010+ F150 for example ).

As for pulleys - there are specific sets for F150's - some folks have had issues with stang pulleys. You may need a programmer to bump up the idle speed to regain alt and PS pump functionality at low rpm, especially if you have high audio system and/or lighting demands. As for gains - yep, looks like a mixed bag - unless you race a lot & need every little bit you can get fer competitive advantage. For a street truck - mostly bragging rights, in the main.

ETA: I forgot - yer gonna need a shorter belt ( when running the correct set of pulleys ) as described here: http://www.troyerperformance.com/scr...idproduct=1422. Get a Goodyear Gatorback.

At any rate, good luck. Looking forward to the writeup & pics.

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 11-26-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've been contemplating these mods myself but I was going to go with troyers fans and pulleys. Not sure if it will help my mileage, that's what I'm after.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by worm5932
I've been contemplating these mods myself but I was going to go with troyers fans and pulleys. Not sure if it will help my mileage, that's what I'm after.

Don't count on it.

Done properly this is a >$500 set of mods. Payback, if any at all, will be a very lenghty process. Sure - you could nickel & dime this, but you'd end up with unreliable, suboptimal cooling. Bad jujuj. Better to stay stock if yer not willing to spend what it takes to get top-shelf components and install them with reliability in mind. Being stranded is no fun.

Exemplary maintenance, pumped up low rolling resistance,*standard-sized* tires, no lift or silly bull bars to add weight and further pekker already horrible aeros, and a very light foot are by far a better bet.

And after all of that, there are STILL no assurances.

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 11-26-2013 at 08:43 AM. Reason: spelllin' & info
Old 11-26-2013, 12:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
one mod that I wished I'd never done on my MY 2006....imo

Save yer money up for a whipple and get a ton more of ponies to play with....

Old 11-26-2013, 12:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 88racing

I agree...

Old 11-26-2013, 12:18 PM

Yep.

I dunno why fellers don't research their planned mods before purchase.

It sure would help avoid that queasy feeling in the pit of yer stomach when you discover you made a (big) mistake.

Folks - best advice I can give yall - LOOK before you leap. It's as simple as that.

MGD

Old 11-26-2013, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by MGDfan
Yep.

I dunno why fellers don't research their planned mods before purchase.

It sure would help avoid that queasy feeling in the pit of yer stomach when you discover you made a (big) mistake.

Folks - best advice I can give yall - LOOK before you leap. It's as simple as that.

MGD
oh.....I did do the research and thank goodness I had a programmer to bump the idle, later on I just put an OD pulley on the altenator....at first it was fun and the seat of my pants dyno loved but it I got used to it.....now with a supercharger one would have to take the UD's off and put the stock ones back on...

I'm just saying that if a supercharger is in the future of the OP don't do the UD pulleys.....

the efans are a great mod with or without the supercharger but the right components should be pieced together....especially the controller....imo

Old 11-26-2013, 01:55 PM
oh.....I did do the research and thank goodness I had a programmer to bump the idle, later on I just put an OD pulley on the altenator....at first it was fun and the seat of my pants dyno loved but it I got used to it.....now with a supercharger one would have to take the UD's off and put the stock ones back on...

I'm just saying that if a supercharger is in the future of the OP don't do the UD pulleys.....

the efans are a great mod with or without the supercharger but the right components should be pieced together....especially the controller....imo
My bad - that wasn't directed at you specifically - or even the OP, just the community at large.

Learning from the mistakes of others is something to cherish

My personal experience with pulleys was far worse than efans.

MGD

Old 11-26-2013, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by MGDfan
My bad - that wasn't directed at you specifically - or even the OP, just the community at large.

Learning from the mistakes of others is something to cherish

My personal experience with pulleys was far worse than efans.

MGD
Don't worry....I thought I'd better explain my experience better in case someone drags this thread up 10 years from now...lol

Old 11-26-2013, 05:17 PM
I don't have plans for a supercharger, but I am going to fab my own turbo set up! So the efans are going to help free up some space to run the piping. And I don't have a system, larger tires, and I mostly only uae the ac when a girl is in the truck so I'm not to worried about the down side of the pulleys. Also I have a sct with custom tunes for my current mods so I can bump up the idleif I need to

Old 11-26-2013, 05:36 PM
Oh and the efans arrived today also

Old 11-26-2013, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by 06 Roush
Oh and the efans arrived today also
Great.

Now, how about answering the balance of my questions

Old 11-26-2013, 06:08 PM
I'm not sure what brand the fans are, but they hace a life time warranty and I have done business with whites performance before. The controller is the fk-55

Quick Reply: 2006 e-fans and underdrive pulleys