Best Oil Filter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2001, 10:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Oil Filter?

I was wondering what type of oil filter is considered the best for a 5.4V8? I've always used Mobil 1 filters and Mobil 1 oil in my vehicles. Whenever the M1 filter wasn't available I would use AC Delco or Motorcraft depending on the vehicle (Ford or GM). Now after reading the thread about 5w-20 oil, I'll probably use Amsoil since Mobil 1 doesn't make 5w-20. I guess I'll continue to use M1 filters.

I just re-read the oil filter study from a couple years ago.

http://members.nbci.com/minimopar/oilfilterstudy.html

According to the study the M1 filter is very similar to the Pure One and Motorcraft.

I'm wondering if it's worth it to spend $10 for the M1 or spend $3 and use the Motorcraft? I'd be changing the oil about every 6k miles.

Any input or opinions are welcome!

Thanks,
Steve

P.S. I won't let any filter product from Fram come anywhere close to a vehicle of mine!!

Last edited by kclm7; 08-08-2001 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-08-2001, 11:59 AM
Smile

Amsoil SDF11!

Old 08-08-2001, 01:16 PM
JDF
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

In my 26 years of driving, my engines have lasted as long as I needed them to by using a fram filter and whatever oil was on sale. Some cars I only owned a year and others I owned many years and well over 200K miles. What else matter... really? I mean it! Why all the post about which oil is best or what filter is best? Anything you use will do the job and unless you plan to get half a million miles from an engine or keep it 20 years why bother.
I have also owned boats for 30+ years and this part will completely freak you guys out. I only change the oil (straight 40 weight) and filter (fram) once a year! These engines run at 3500 rpm for hours in a much harsher environment than any car engine and you can get 10 years or 1000 hours of use before they get tired. There are bigger issues in life than than to worry about a billionth of a micron that a filter didn't catch.
Sorry, just venting on a subject that has been debated to death and still makes no sense to me. BOTF (bring on the flames)

Old 08-08-2001, 01:27 PM
Oil/Filter

I agree with you, this oil stuff makes no sense. Same here, have used the cheap stuff without any problems. Also, just for oil sake, I have a 1964 Falcon 2door that has 317K on the 170CID 6 that has been in family since new, it had the oil religously changed every 20K and runs like a top. Also, had a 93' Ford Taurus that I bought with 19K on it and never changed the oil from the day I bought it, I sold it with 173K and it ran like a top, I just added oil as the Check engine light came on....

Old 08-08-2001, 05:07 PM
Remind me not to buy used vehicles from either of you guys!! Damn. Maybe I'm just picky, but if I'm going to spend many thousands of dollars for a new vehicle, I'm not going to save $10-$15 on an oil change by using ****ty products. It doesn't cost that much more to use a high end oil filter and synthetic oil. I DO plan to keep my truck for a long time (as long as it's not a piece of ****) and always have it around long after it's paid for. I wish I could afford to not care and just use the cheapest oil and filters I can find!

Steve

Old 08-08-2001, 05:14 PM
well I'm with you, I use the good stuff. Mobil 1 filters and quaker state ultra synthetic oil (cause, you know, I'm sponsored by quaker state for the oil but they won't give me filters, LOL). I think engines were built a lot different 30 years ago which is why you COULD always use the cheap stuff without having any problems but nowadays they are a lot mroe sensitive to minor problems and fluctuations what with all the fancy gadgets and sensors etc. connected to them. By the way, I only know of one place that carries the mobil 1 filters and they always for some reason only get one filter at a time so I always go in, get however many they've got in stock, and check again in a few weeks. i change my oil every 5-6000 miles but I drive a LOT so that is about once a month or so.

Old 08-08-2001, 07:14 PM
Cool

Might look into Wix filters, very good filters just about everyone uses them at the track we race at.I think napa filters are made by the same company.

Old 08-08-2001, 10:31 PM
Re: Best Oil Filter?

Originally posted by kclm7
I was wondering what type of oil filter is considered the best for a 5.4V8?
Super Duty Oil Filters
Offer all-around better filtration and protection than conventional filters. Full flow design for extended drain intervals and severe service. Contains a high-tech blended filtration media composed of cellulose, synthetic and glass fibers. The media sets the Super Duty apart from conventional filters in capacity, efficiency and service life. Delivers superior filtration and protection. Product Code: SDF

The AMSOIL Super Duty Oil Filter (SDF) is designed to provide maximum filtration while meeting the high flow demands of modern automobiles. The AMSOIL SDF contains a special cellulose, synthetic and glass blend media that offers the best possible balance of long life, high capacity and overall efficiency.

On filter installations where the mounting is sideways or upright, dirty oil could drain out of the filter when the engine is shut off. The AMSOIL SDF has an anti-drainback valve that keeps trapped contaminants in the filter when the engine is not running.

When using an AMSOIL Oil Filter with conventional motor oils, refer to the owner's manual for the recommended oil filter change interval.

The AMSOIL SDF has a heavy-duty case of drawn steel. The case is double-crimped at the base with rolled-under seaming to withstand extreme pressure surges and road shocks.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can help.

Old 08-09-2001, 12:52 AM
Personally I use WIX filters and Castrol oil. I don't see a major benefit to synthetic unless you are turning high R's, like in a turbine engine, or long drives like OTR trucks.

Old 08-09-2001, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Fadex
I don't see a major benefit to synthetic unless you are turning high R's, like in a turbine engine, or long drives like OTR trucks.
NOT TRUE,

In personal cars and light-duty trucks with non-turbocharged gasoline engines: drain oil at 25,000 miles or one-year intervals, whichever comes first.

In turbocharged gasoline engines, motorcycles, ATVs, marine craft and occasionally used gasoline engines: drain oil at intervals up to three times as long as the intervals recommended by the engine manufacturer or one year, whichever comes first.

AMSOIL 100% Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil exceeds the lubrication requirements of all modern automobile engines, providing tough lubricating protection in the most demanding operating conditions. It resists high temperature degradation and flows freely in cold conditions for substantial reduction in engine wear. AMSOIL 5W-30 provides excellent engine protection, maximum power, improved fuel efficiency and extended oil drain intervals.

Resists High Temperature Vaporization

Plus Big truck use a 30w, I know I drive one and they are a low RPM. And as far as turbine engine use a 20w50 high raceing oil.

The AMSOIL SDF has a lofted fiber depth-type media that traps dirt throughout its entire thickness for exceptional filtering efficiency. It keeps oil clean and free of wear-causing contaminants. The AMSOIL SDF Oil Filter provides up to 100 percent more capacity and up to 20 percent greater efficiency than other filters provide. It is ideal for use with extended oil drain intervals. Witch is better than WIX

Old 08-09-2001, 07:48 PM
Check out this link: http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/

In reading this you will find that while Fram used to be a good filter they are no longer after going to a cheap design with cardboard end caps and plastic valves. AC Delcos are good, Motorcraft good, Napa Gold good, Wix and Purolator good. Fram...CRAP!!!!

Old 08-10-2001, 01:52 AM
If you change your oil at the recommended interval as recommended by the manufacturer of the vehicle you will have absolutely NO problems using mineral based oils. Nice advertisement for AMSOIL though.

Old 08-10-2001, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Fadex
If you change your oil at the recommended interval as recommended by the manufacturer of the vehicle you will have absolutely NO problems using mineral based oils. Nice advertisement for AMSOIL though.
Now don't go off the deep end, come back to Earth.

And you put gas in your truck every day?

Because AMSOIL 5W-30's synthetic formulation resists oxidation so well, it runs naturally cleaner than petroleum motor oils. AMSOIL 5W-30 also contains special detergent/dispersant additives that, when tested after tens of thousands of miles of use in the crankcase, still exhibit outstanding deposit control. This combination of natural detergency and advanced additive package keeps AMSOIL 5W-30 effective for up to 25,000 miles or one year in non-turbocharged gasoline-fueled cars.

AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-30 contains special rust and corrosion inhibitors to protect iron parts, as well as copper, lead and aluminum bearing materials.

Old 08-10-2001, 11:53 PM
Next time you buy a filter pick up a Motorcraft filter , open the box and look at the way it's made , then compare it to any of the others on the shelf .

Old 08-11-2001, 09:36 PM
I have used Mobil 1 Synthetic in all my motors...
Changeing the oil 2 times a Year...

Once before summer and once before Winter...

In between those changes, I changed the filter every 2K miles, and added 1 qt...

I have a 1988 GMC Dually 1-ton... with a 454 cu. in.... that I used to move cattle with across the state 2 times a month...

I have used my methods with this truck from breakin...

It now has 634K miles on it...... and I never have had one problem with the motor... and only uses a dribble of oil between changes....

We did take the Oil pan off at 350K miles..... lol.... guess what.... clean as a whistle.... No sludge.... Nothing.... Mobil 1 is No#1 in my mind...

Quick Reply: Best Oil Filter?