Injector melted piston??? 2006 5.4 3V

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 10:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know where you can get a nice set of gently used injectors if you end up needing them.
The doorman cam phasers are kinda new to the market so should be interesting to see how they work. Post up pictures when you get them.

Kev

Old 01-18-2012, 11:05 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Again perform a compression and leakdown test to eliminate a base engine problem. Also use a stethescope to pinpoint the exact area of the noise. You may have a collapsed lash adjuster or bent valve stem. If the noise is directly under the cam cover remove the cam cover and inspect the finger followers for excessive play. If one is loose the lash adjuster is collapsed either from lack of oil pressure caused by debris plugging the passage or just a mechanicly defective lash adjuster. The piston failure looks like micro welding caused by detonation (lean condition). I haven't read all the posts but is the noise in the same area/cyl that the damaged piston was in? Its hard to believe that a cyl head "freshen" would repair any damage done to the cyl head caused from the pieces of piston bouncing around in the chamber. How did the valve seats look in that cyl?
One other thing. When a piston starts breaking up like that one the debris will get pulled into the intake manifold and can end up in any of the other cylinders. Those pieces can also lay in the intake manifold and get pulled back into any cyl at anytime. They are an accident waiting to happen. If your intake manifold was not completely cleaned out a piece of that piston could very well have migrated into a cyl and is lodged in an intake valve holding it partially open. I have seen this happen hundreds of times. That is why I keep saying perform a compression and or a leakdown test.

Last edited by DYNOTECH; 01-18-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:17 PM
You know I could not find the reason for the piston failure right now I'm thinking the injector was clogged and couldn't open completely causing a lean condition in that cylinder which in turn melted the piston with the higher combustion chamber temps. I'm hunting down a set of new motorcraft injectors but I want to get a good deal on them because we are already exceeding our budget on this POS does anyone know the part number for the good ones?

and as far as the valvetrain goes I'm strongly in favor of replacing the lash adjusters but the rockers all checked out good when I took the head apart, I doubt I will be replacing those.

BTW KEVHEAD I will post pics as soon as they arrive and I install them I can't wait to see if that's going to be the end of my problems

Old 01-18-2012, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by DYNOTECH
Again perform a compression and leakdown test to eliminate a base engine problem. Also use a stethescope to pinpoint the exact area of the noise. You may have a collapsed lash adjuster or bent valve stem. If the noise is directly under the cam cover remove the cam cover and inspect the finger followers for excessive play. If one is loose the lash adjuster is collapsed either from lack of oil pressure caused by debris plugging the passage or just a mechanicly defective lash adjuster. The piston failure looks like micro welding caused by detonation (lean condition). I haven't read all the posts but is the noise in the same area/cyl that the damaged piston was in? Its hard to believe that a cyl head "freshen" would repair any damage done to the cyl head caused from the pieces of piston bouncing around in the chamber. How did the valve seats look in that cyl?
One other thing. When a piston starts breaking up like that one the debris will get pulled into the intake manifold and can end up in any of the other cylinders. Those pieces can also lay in the intake manifold and get pulled back into any cyl at anytime. They are an accident waiting to happen. If your intake manifold was not completely cleaned out a piece of that piston could very well have migrated into a cyl and is lodged in an intake valve holding it partially open. I have seen this happen hundreds of times. That is why I keep saying perform a compression and or a leakdown test.
DYNO- I think it will be easier to check the compression once i remove all the stuff I have to remove in order to get to the cam phasers so I will wait till they come in. also I,m not having any issues regarding low compression or any damage caused noise. I have rebuilt numerous heads and I know what to look for when I re-do them. there was no damage at all. It appeared to have only melted not broken. and I did clean the manifold as best as I could. I doubt any pieces on piston are laying in there

Old 01-18-2012, 02:39 PM
I have set if 07 injectors if you are interested. They were from a 07 with just under 36k on them and were removed for super charger install.
Dyno has a good point about checking compression. The timing code is most likely causing the P0175. I know you have checked your timing but that code is indicating something is up with it. It could be the phasers or solenoid I guess which you are going to replace.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by kevhead75
I have set if 07 injectors if you are interested. They were from a 07 with just under 36k on them and were removed for super charger install.
Dyno has a good point about checking compression. The timing code is most likely causing the P0175. I know you have checked your timing but that code is indicating something is up with it. It could be the phasers or solenoid I guess which you are going to replace.
kevhead- yeah thats a good tip you guys have, I will make sure to check it once I tear into it again. can you PM me a price for those injectors?

Old 02-01-2012, 07:51 PM
ok guys sorry I hadn't got on here with an update. well the phasers were on backorder but they finally arrived about three days ago and while I was changing them out I managed to drop my camera and it broke I did manage to take one photo though before I dropped it .......

it was a pain in the *** to pull the valve covers off and the tool I made to jam in the tensioner was useless I grabbed a 24 inch 3/8 drive ratchet extension and stuck it behind the phaser while holding pressure on the face of the guide (obviously tensioner side) and then bungee corded it to the fender. I was very careful while pulling it out so I'm sure I didn't skip a tooth.
The whole thing went down pretty smoothly and once I put all the stuff together I cranked her up and I was amazed! it was a smooth idle and no other problems except for the clicking noise which after driving a while looks as if it got quieter. I know I should have changed the lash adjusters while I was in there but my dad didn't have the money to throw in it. So far it has been driven for one day (about 100 miles) and it hasn't given me anything to worry about.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:54 PM
Oh I would like to thank everyone out here that gave such helpful insight to my problem, but especially Electron-jack! thanks man! I finished all this work myself not bad for an 18 year old eh?

Old 02-01-2012, 08:01 PM
Old 02-02-2012, 09:22 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Good work!

Old 02-02-2012, 10:37 AM
Glad to hear you got it running. Did you bend the metal fingers on that old phaser or was it like that when you removed it?...That would cause a problem for sure.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good job man, give me a call anytime if you need any trouble shooting advice. Just out of curiosity did you pull the VCT solenoid bodies off and clean them and replace the gasket when you had the phasers off?

Quick Reply: Injector melted piston??? 2006 5.4 3V