possible Triton engine plug blow-out cause/prevention

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 12:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
possible Triton engine plug blow-out cause/prevention

I like many other F-series owners (F-150 SuperCrew, 5.4 @ 120,000 miles) have dealt with the blown plug issue. The first time I was on vacation and my #3 blew out (on researching it, this is how I found out it was such a huge problem...I know about the not enough threads in the head issue, etc), anyhow the mechanics put in a save-a-thread, about 4 months later I got a misfire on #3 and took it to my regular garage (a former Ford dealership) and my mechanic said that they had done about 300 blow out repairs and I was relaying my displeasure with Ford and that's when he told me it wasn't a Ford problem (now mind you, this Ford dealership was in his family for 90 years before Ford decided to jerk their franchise, just like it has many small, home-town dealers, so he if anyone has a real reason to be pissed at Ford), I said "how is it not a Ford problem????" and he then told me that on all of the blow outs they have done, none of them were on motorcraft plugs, it's always been aftermarket plugs.

SO...I am curious if all of my fellow blow-out brethern out there also had aftermarket plugs in their engines when their blow-outs occurred??? It's something to consider I guess, I mean afterall it came from a reliable source and one that should be pissed at Ford, yet still he doesn't blame them for it.

I'm not backing Ford up at all, I personally think they DO have a problem, but if I can help save someone a blow-out by passing on this information about running Motorcraft plugs and not aftermarkets, I'll have done my job, it's a small investment for a far more costly alternative.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:34 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had a blow out in my Van and it had motorcraft plugs and i've hear allot of guys have had blow outs with the stock plugs that had never been changed. Ford was under tightening them for awhile.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:17 AM
Originally Posted by jethat
I had a blow out in my Van and it had motorcraft plugs and i've hear allot of guys have had blow outs with the stock plugs that had never been changed. Ford was under tightening them for awhile.
Thats the other thing my mechanic said..."gotta get out the torque wrench and torque them to 40 pounds, I'd rather strip it when I'm puting the plug in and know there's a problem then be going down the road somewhere and have a problem, that's the other problem is guys are worried about stripping the threads because they are aluminum heads, but you got to torque them period".

Old 09-07-2009, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by speccop
I like many other F-series owners (F-150 SuperCrew, 5.4 @ 120,000 miles) have dealt with the blown plug issue. The first time I was on vacation and my #3 blew out (on researching it, this is how I found out it was such a huge problem...I know about the not enough threads in the head issue, etc), anyhow the mechanics put in a save-a-thread, about 4 months later I got a misfire on #3 and took it to my regular garage (a former Ford dealership) and my mechanic said that they had done about 300 blow out repairs and I was relaying my displeasure with Ford and that's when he told me it wasn't a Ford problem (now mind you, this Ford dealership was in his family for 90 years before Ford decided to jerk their franchise, just like it has many small, home-town dealers, so he if anyone has a real reason to be pissed at Ford), I said "how is it not a Ford problem????" and he then told me that on all of the blow outs they have done, none of them were on motorcraft plugs, it's always been aftermarket plugs.

SO...I am curious if all of my fellow blow-out brethern out there also had aftermarket plugs in their engines when their blow-outs occurred??? It's something to consider I guess, I mean afterall it came from a reliable source and one that should be pissed at Ford, yet still he doesn't blame them for it.

I'm not backing Ford up at all, I personally think they DO have a problem, but if I can help save someone a blow-out by passing on this information about running Motorcraft plugs and not aftermarkets, I'll have done my job, it's a small investment for a far more costly alternative.
Your mechanic is WRONG. The majority have been stock Motorcraft plugs not aftermarket. Sav-a-threads and helicoils suck and you will get blow outs again just like your #3. Fix it right with a timesert. Do a search here and you will get all the info you need and go find another mechanic.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:18 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It doesn't really matter with the plug brand, the number of threads and thread pitch are all the same.

Install them dry and crank 'em down. I run them down by hand until they bottom out, then go another 1/4 to half-turn. I've never had one come out doing that.

To repair damaged threads, Timeserts are the only way to go. Everything else sucks, IMO.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thats the other thing my mechanic said..."gotta get out the torque wrench and torque them to 40 pounds, I'd rather strip it when I'm puting the plug in and know there's a problem then be going down the road somewhere and have a problem, that's the other problem is guys are worried about stripping the threads because they are aluminum heads, but you got to torque them period".
Ford was tightening them at about 15 lbs they are now saying 28 and thats good. 40 lbs in an aluminum head is flat out stupid. Get yourself a mechanic who isnt stupid.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:42 PM
The original guys had put in a helicoil (which failed) so my mechanic put in a timesert, no problems so far....and as far as I'm concerned with Ford, a couple or few hundred thousand Triton blow outs and an active class-action lawsuit will hopefully force Ford to do something about it but somehow I doubt it.

Originally Posted by Norm
Your mechanic is WRONG. The majority have been stock Motorcraft plugs not aftermarket. Sav-a-threads and helicoils suck and you will get blow outs again just like your #3. Fix it right with a timesert. Do a search here and you will get all the info you need and go find another mechanic.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by Quintin
I

To repair damaged threads, Timeserts are the only way to go. Everything else sucks, IMO.
Not so.

Do what I did: remove both heads and take them to Aluminum Cylinder Head Rebuilders.

Their repair was much better and more permanent than a timesert; they put in a "sleeve" or some such from the bottom, instead of from the top, like timeserts go.

Very stout, no worries, but R&R of 5.4 heads is not for those in a hurry.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:53 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. V
Not so.

Do what I did: remove both heads and take them to Aluminum Cylinder Head Rebuilders.

Their repair was much better and more permanent than a timesert; they put in a "sleeve" or some such from the bottom, instead of from the top, like timeserts go.

I guess it depends on the definition of sucks. I would consider spending that amoumnt of money and down time as major "sucks" compared with a timesert repair. I think I have heard of one timesert failure, and that one makes you wonder if it was done correctly.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. V
Not so.

Pfft, screw that. I need a damn good reason to pull the heads, and a stripped out spark plug thread ain't a good enough reason for me.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:43 PM
T...and as far as I'm concerned with Ford, a couple or few hundred thousand Triton blow outs and an active class-action lawsuit will hopefully force Ford to do something about it but somehow I doubt it.
Ford already fixed the problem and a Class action lawsuit is useless. Only lawyers make money from those.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:33 PM
I don't mean to hijack the thread but is it ok to wait and hit 100,000 miles before changing the plugs anc COPs out for the first time in the 97-03 5.4's? Or have the plugs been known to get blown out before 100,000? I'm at 57,000 in my 01 right now.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:57 PM
I am at 137K with stock plugs and COPs. I have just been too busy to tackle the job and I am still getting 17 MPG highway.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:53 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by aaron.b
I don't mean to hijack the thread but is it ok to wait and hit 100,000 miles before changing the plugs anc COPs out for the first time in the 97-03 5.4's? Or have the plugs been known to get blown out before 100,000? I'm at 57,000 in my 01 right now.
It's partly what you believe in and part how your set up. I believe plugs begin to wear @ 60 thousand regardless. If your running an intake and exhaust without a custom tune, your lean and this will shorten your plugs life significantly.

Norm needs to get off his *** and change his plugs

Ford says 100,000 miles, so it's up to you, -if she's running well, getting fair mileage, why mess with it?

When you do change them, just do a good job,- take your time and don't worry so much about them blowing out. Their still in their right? Your okay.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Norm needs to get off his *** and change his plugs

Yes I do. You are absolutely right and I should probably do my front O2 sensors as well. Time is a precious commodity these days though.

Quick Reply: possible Triton engine plug blow-out cause/prevention