Need Help! 04 F150 cranks but will not start

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 04:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Need Help! 04 F150 cranks but will not start

Backed my truck (04 F150 5.4 w/ 81000 miles) out of the garage today, everything was normal. Get done washing and drying my truck and now it will not start. The truck is turning over as normal but the truck simply will not start. What is it and what should I do?
thanks for the input

Old 08-26-2009, 04:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by PAFX4
Backed my truck (04 F150 5.4 w/ 81000 miles) out of the garage today, everything was normal. Get done washing and drying my truck and now it will not start. The truck is turning over as normal but the truck simply will not start. What is it and what should I do?
thanks for the input
Open the hood, see if anything noticeably got wet. - Electrical wise. ~ Blow dry w/compressed air.

You may have tripped the inertia reset, -it works like a breaker in a fuse box. Try resetting. There should be a "How To" sticker-ed under the hood somewhere. Or in the little book in the glove box.

No luck? Try rebooting the PCM - Disconnect the battery for a 1/2 hour or so. Check ALL fuses while waiting.

Don't crank more than 5 consecutive seconds. The computer shuts the injectors down totally to protect the converters, she's not going to start for awhile then. - Either wait it out or reboot if you have.

Last edited by jbrew; 08-26-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:05 PM
reset fuel pump. reset battery. everything is dry. im changing the fuel filter right now but its prolly the damn pump. what the heck am i gonna do when i need a pump and the truck is in my garage and wont start

Old 08-26-2009, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
right by the spare tire on a little cross member there is a little module-its the fuel pump driver module, pull it off and see if its corroded all to hell or if its rotted through.- they've had issues here and there with salt.

are you using the factory key?

Old 08-26-2009, 07:15 PM

reset fuel pump. reset battery. everything is dry. im changing the fuel filter right now but its prolly the damn pump. what the heck am i gonna do when i need a pump and the truck is in my garage and wont start
Carquest Delivers.

Most auto parts suppliers have parts runners and do deliver if asked. Around here they do anyway.

Turn the key to run (don't turn over)- Do you hear the pump charge the lines? If so - Not the problem.

Also, sort of like Matt suggests - sometimes when washing, -water rinses down between the cab and box on top of the fuel tank. This could have shorted/ blew the fuse or whatnot. Check for VREF @ hot wire to pump if you don't hear anything KOEO.

It did happen RIGHT AFTER washing correct? No problems in the past?

Last edited by jbrew; 08-26-2009 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:27 PM
i dont hear it charging the lines. I think its the pump. If it was the filter my truck would have sputtered at least and would probably still start. CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHY I CANT GET THE FILTER OFF WITH THE DISCONNECT TOOL? I USE THE 5/16 END, INSERT INTO COUPLING AND PUSH. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG. Me not being able to change the filter is just pissing me off more and its not even the problem!!!! it did happen right after washing. can you explain what you mean by "Check for VREF @ hot wire to pump if you don't hear anything KOEO." And no, I have never had a problem before

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-26-2009, 08:29 PM
yes its the factory key

Old 08-26-2009, 09:17 PM
i got the filter. now its the pump

Old 08-26-2009, 09:22 PM
If you have 2-4 good buddies, it would be easier to lift the bed off instead of taking the fuel tank down...at least thats what I have heard...

Old 08-26-2009, 09:26 PM
Is the fuel pump getting electrical power? If not check the harness on the framerail right below the drivers door. It is behind a small black plastic box on the outter framerail. I had this corrode and cause my fuel pump not to get power one winter day. Could have happened with the water to you.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:54 PM

i dont hear it charging the lines. I think its the pump. If it was the filter my truck would have sputtered at least and would probably still start. CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHY I CANT GET THE FILTER OFF WITH THE DISCONNECT TOOL? I USE THE 5/16 END, INSERT INTO COUPLING AND PUSH. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG. Me not being able to change the filter is just pissing me off more and its not even the problem!!!! it did happen right after washing. can you explain what you mean by "Check for VREF @ hot wire to pump if you don't hear anything KOEO." And no, I have never had a problem before
Vref = power to.
KOEO = KeyOnEngineOff.

You need to figure out why. So check power to,-don't forget about the fuses. I'm not sure where yours are located, some under the dash, some under the hood or both. Check relays as well,- before you start wrenching.

Don't remove the bed lol. You can drop the tank in 10-15 minutes.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:20 PM
there is nothing KOEO. I need to have a mechanic friend check the electrical stuff before I buy a 360 dollar fuel pump. But what you are basically telling me to do is check for power to the fuel pump, correct? Do you check at the wires where they go right into the pump or somewhere else along the line? I looked in my manual and nothing is labeled at the fuse for the fuel pump. I'll look again.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:20 PM
Where do I check the power to the fuel pump and how? This will be my last attempt before having to install a new pump.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:43 PM

If your so gunho it's the pump , -handle it then.

I sure as hell ain't looking your freakin fuses up! Crap!

Old 08-27-2009, 01:15 AM
did you even check the module as i already recommended?

Quick Reply: Need Help! 04 F150 cranks but will not start