P1132 and P1152 codes coming up

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 12:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P1132 and P1152 codes coming up

Hi all,

My truck was acting up a month ago and the CEL came on. I pulled the codes with my reader and got P1132 and P1152. I cleared it but didn't really have a chance to drive the truck again.

The torque converter on the car cracked and the car had to go to the shop. So I used the truck to go to work and back. Coming home the CEL popped up again. I just pulled the codes and they are the same ones.

They both look like "sensor indicates rich" from what I can tell. I did the complete exhaust last fall with no issues until now. I checked all of the connections and wires, all seems good.

I am wondering if it's the upstream or downstream O2's that would trigger this code. I am running Bosch up front and NTK (NGK) in the rear.

Truck seems to run fine with no noticable difference in fuel economy. Only thing I can think of to go to from here is disconnect the FMU and keep it out of boost and see if it re-occurs.

Any ideas would be more than welcome!

Old 02-10-2009, 12:41 AM
Technical Article Contributor

the down stream o2's have no effect on air to fuel ratio.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:43 AM
Are these codes generated by the downstream O2's? My Magnaflow cats could be NFG which wouldn't really surprise me from what I've heard.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Blown F-150
Are these codes generated by the downstream O2's? My Magnaflow cats could be NFG which wouldn't really surprise me from what I've heard.
The downstream o2's only monitor your emissions. You would be getting p0420/p0430 from the rear o2's which is "insufficient catalyst" or something like that. your codes i think are running rich and the second one is trying to correct for rich condition. sounds like your sensor on bank 1 is going out maybe.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the info. The O2's are only 6 months old and are Bosch units. I will swap the fronts to the back and see if it comes up again or I get a fault for the rears which means it would be the O2's themselves. Any ideas where to go from there if the same code comes up with different O2's???

I don't like the idea of having the NTK's up front because I had them in there before and my gas milage dropped 5 mpg's! If ther are bad, I'll still have warranty on them anyway, which is good.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:24 PM
to me it sounds like the o2s are working fine. which cats did you replace with the high flows? and which ones arent there?
maf clean?
is the tb and elbow clean?

Old 02-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Anytime you need an exact code definition, punch the code in the space provided in this Equus link.

http://www.iequus.com/support/obd2_definitions.php

Old 02-10-2009, 05:57 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I've seen your cats before - wow! - Think those were your old ones tho.

Check the regulator. Aren't you tuned ? If so, fuel trims/calibration or whatnot could be causing this. Seems like there's been a problem for awhile now that you haven't been able solve.

Running rich toasts the O2's pretty quick as well. I ran NTK's and didn't notice a problem, but I didn't run them long enough to tell really. Ran Borg/Warners upstream and I did notice mileage went from 16 to 09 mpg - Yea, I offed those pretty quick.

I would check the regulator tho, -see if anything is going there. - Pressure gage/Mini vac tool works best. If you get to a point of pulling the rail, charge the rail with the injectors connected, but removed from head port. See if they leak while pressurized - it's a possibility. If they leak, the injector is no good.

You have to be tuned I would think. Will the truck run on the stock configuration ? I'm not sure, you bumped the injectors up right ? Do you have LT headers ?

All that said - I would lean towards a tuning problem.

Here's a little bit of how it works and how those codes can come into the picture. -http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/ho2smonitor.htm

Last edited by jbrew; 02-10-2009 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Gotts2BMe
The downstream o2's only monitor your emissions. You would be getting p0420/p0430 from the rear o2's which is "insufficient catalyst" or something like that. your codes i think are running rich and the second one is trying to correct for rich condition. sounds like your sensor on bank 1 is going out maybe.
Agreed

Rears can bring up PO141 + 61 if you sheer a wire as well. Those two and the 420/430 is really all I've seen in the past to do with the rears. There might be others.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:17 PM
Thank you very much for the info. I will check out those links when I get home.

I am running a stock tune with a FMU. I haven't saved up enough for a programmer and custom tunes and the tranny for the car set me back yet again.

I have 42lber's a 90mm MAF, 255lph pump, and a 12# pulley waiting to go on when I get tunes so I can ditch the FMU.

I have only had a CEL pop up on this truck 5 times ever, and the others were for a misfire because of old COP's and a moisture issue.
After I do a little reading on the links you guys provided I'll see if I should pull the FMU and re-test.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
I've seen your cats before - wow! - Think those were your old ones tho.

Check the regulator. Aren't you tuned ? If so, fuel trims/calibration or whatnot could be causing this. Seems like there's been a problem for awhile now that you haven't been able solve.

Running rich toasts the O2's pretty quick as well. I ran NTK's and didn't notice a problem, but I didn't run them long enough to tell really. Ran Borg/Warners upstream and I did notice mileage went from 16 to 09 mpg - Yea, I offed those pretty quick.

I would check the regulator tho, -see if anything is going there. - Pressure gage/Mini vac tool works best. If you get to a point of pulling the rail, charge the rail with the injectors connected, but removed from head port. See if they leak while pressurized - it's a possibility. If they leak, the injector is no good.

You have to be tuned I would think. Will the truck run on the stock configuration ? I'm not sure, you bumped the injectors up right ? Do you have LT headers ?

All that said - I would lean towards a tuning problem.

Here's a little bit of how it works and how those codes can come into the picture. -http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/ho2smonitor.htm
That's a pretty good read. I will go and buy a fuel pressure gauge and see if I can get it in this weekend. Then I will monitor the fuel pressure before and after I bypass the FMU.

I'll also price out the coolant temp sensor as it has never been changed an could be sending the wrong info to the ECM.

Thanks again, I got some investigating to do!

Old 02-10-2009, 11:20 PM

try cleaning up your MAF and IAC before you replace any sensors.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:50 PM

I thought this was a good wright up, not sure if it will help you tho -

Supercharged + FMU -There are diferent methods used by various supercharger kit manufacturers to deliver supplemental fuel to the engine under boost. An FMU, or “Fuel Management Unit”, is the chief component used for one of these methods. An FMU is often referred to as a boost-dependant fuel pressure regulator. The FMU is essentially a variable fuel-pressure regulator that automatically raises fuel pressure as boost rises.

Depending on the capabilities of the stock fuel pump, a booster pump may be used in conjunction with the FMU. The FMU is downstream (after) of the stock regulator. As boost pressure begins to rise, the FMU starts restricting the flow of fuel returning to the gas tank. Like a garden hose, if the flow is restricted, the pressure increases. The increase in restriction results in an increase in the pressure of the fuel being delivered to the factory fuel injectors. Higher fuel rail pressure enables the fuel injectors to deliver more fuel in the same amount of time than they do at the static stock fuel pressure.

The FMU is calibrated precisely for each supercharger system - a rise in fuel pressure equals a directly proportional rise in boost. The ingenious simplicity of the system means that no computer recalibration is required. Without the FMU, the stock fuel system would not be able to maintain an air-to-fuel ratio low enough to prevent a lean condition. FMU-based systems are the most popular with supercharger kit manufactures.

Other Types of Supplemental Fuel Systems Used With Supercharger Kits

Some supercharger kits take a different approach to supplemental fuel supply. One of these alternate methods, to an FMU-based approach, uses an auxiliary EFI computer. This computer is connected to one or more separate fuel injector(s) installed just before the intake manifold. The auxiliary injector(s) work like a TBI to provide additional fuel to all cylinders. These systems do not require an increase in fuel pressure over stock and, therefore, the fuel flowing through the factory injectors is not increased.

On most supercharger systems, booster pumps are not needed unless the supercharger kit manufacture determines (through testing) that the stock fuel pump is not able to provide enough volume to supply both the factory and auxiliary injectors. These kits do not require recalibration of the factory computer.

The most effective way of compensating for the additional fuel required under boost is to replace all of the factory fuel injectors with higher-flowing ones. This method requires recalibration, or replacement, of the factory computer with a new fuel map appropriate for the new injectors. Replacing all of the fuel injectors is expensive and labor intensive, thus making this fuel system upgrade the least popular among supercharger kit manufacturers.
It should also be noted that some engines are designed with proprietary fuel injection that makes swapping out injectors impossible. Just like the others, supercharger kits getting this fuel system treatment may require a booster pump or replacement of the stock pump depending on the application.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:13 PM
I don't hold a lot of faith in the FMU, I'm wondering if it has failed internally and restricting flow back through the return line and increasing fuel pressure.

I went out to the truck last night and pulled the MAF cleaned it and replaced the IAC with another brand new one from Ford I bought a while back.

I took the truck for a ride, but the CEL didn't come back on yet, but I think it'll take some miles for it to show back up again, so after I get the fuel pressure gauge installed, I'll use it to go to work and back all next week and see what happens.

What should I see for fuel pressure @ idle, cruising, and WOT approx. I know it will spike big time @ WOT due to the FMU, but I'm not sure what I should roughly see.

Funny thing is the truck does seem to run pretty good, and MPG's seem about average for the driving conditions.

Thanks

Old 02-11-2009, 05:00 PM

Pessure #'s -

Engine running /psi ~ 28-50
Key on engine off /psi ~ 35-45

That's all they say for the 2000.

Here's another set lol -

Fuel system pressure @ idle
Vacuum hose attatched ---- 30 -45 psi
Vacuum hose detached ---- 40 -50 psi

Fuel system hold pressure (after 5 minutes)
30 -40 psi

Fuel pump pressure (maximum)
65 psi

Huh, I have the FS DVD up on your model PC/ED =

Well, this is from the manufacturer to Ford Service. Says to trouble shoot this way.

1. -

H45 DTCs P1132 AND P1152: UPSTREAM HO2S NOT SWITCHING.
Note: It is necessary to address all Continuous Memory Ignition and Misfire DTCs, if received during Continuous Memory testing, before addressing any KOER HO2S DTCs.

DTC/HO2S Reference List:

HO2S-11 = DTC P1132
HO2S-21 = DTC P1152
Check intake air system for leaks, obstructions and damage.
Check air cleaner element, air cleaner housing for blockage.
Verify integrity of the PCV system.
Check for vacuum leaks.
Were any concerns found during inspection?

__________________________________________________ ______________

DTCs (P1132, P1130) or (P1152, P1150):

Vehicles experiencing KOER DTC 1131, 1132, 1151 or 1152: REFER to Evaporative Emissions, Section 303-13 in the Workshop Manual for system leakage.

__________________________________________________ _______________

Mann, screw this, theres to much here lol

They due get into the regulator later.

Last edited by jbrew; 02-11-2009 at 06:11 PM.

Quick Reply: P1132 and P1152 codes coming up