Upgrades Poll

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 01:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake suggestions

howdy bff's (best ford friends

i've been given the okay from the boss (wife) to buy some toys. i think i'm gonna start with an intake and am leaning towards the volant. been a fan of their stuff for bout 3 years. however, budget is tight and i could be swayed should there be something out there with just as much bang for my hard earned buck.

what i want:
dry filter
boxed in filter
plastic tubing (not a big metal fan)
good true dyno readings

please help me make my decision quickly cuz the misses might find something this weekend at the mall and my toy money could be adios muchacho really quick.

your comments are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by drballa; 09-13-2008 at 01:58 AM.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If ya want my honest opinion,,,spend your money on something else!
An intake will only give ya about 2 to 5 hp at the very most.

Phil

Old 09-13-2008, 10:13 AM
Are you going to do a tuner and exhaust in the future? If so then I would go for it. If not well then I dunno. I bought my Father-in-law a AF1 CAI and it really hasn't done a whole bunch for him other than sounding cool.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:32 AM
Take the money out of the bank quick and keep it in YOUR pocket. If it were me I would buy a tuner first then all of the bolt ons.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:44 AM
My preference for mods is as follows (not necessarily in this order) intake, exhaust, headers, TBS, tuner. Money is kinda tight right now, so these can't be done all at once.

What would be the reason to purchase a tuner 1st? Do you really have to tune a vehicle with just basic bolts (intake/exhaust)?

My thoughts -
Intake - Volant?
Exhaust - JBA
Headers - JBA
TBS - Jet
Tuner - Superchips/Edge/Diablo

Thanks in advance,

John

Old 09-13-2008, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by drballa
My preference for mods is as follows (not necessarily in this order) intake, exhaust, headers, TBS, tuner. Money is kinda tight right now, so these can't be done all at once.

What would be the reason to purchase a tuner 1st? Do you really have to tune a vehicle with just basic bolts (intake/exhaust)?

My thoughts -
Intake - Volant?
Exhaust - JBA
Headers - JBA
TBS - Jet
Tuner - Superchips/Edge/Diablo

Thanks in advance,

John
If we knew a little bit about your truck it would help!
Like what year and motor?

If a TBS is a throttle body spacer? Save your money there ,,,it's just a paperweight. Good for nothing but noise!
As far as I know JBA only has shorty headers,,,another thing good for nothing.
Get long tube headers or nothing at all. Long tubes and high flow cats are good for 30 or more HP.

The reason for getting the tuner first is it adds the most power.
If you do the tuner and the long tubes you'll pic up around 60 HP.

Phil

Old 09-13-2008, 04:17 PM
definately long tubes. . and high flow cats. i dont know much about jba exhaust systems so is it gonna be true duals or just a cat-back system? i'd do true duals with H pipe and two magnaflow 11" or 14" body mufflers. sounds and performs good.

Last edited by Matts ford; 09-13-2008 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:07 AM
Just updated my profile 07 5.4L F150.

Being in California, LT's are out of the question (freakin smogging), however hi-flow cats. are a possibility.

I may be shifting my mindset now. What programmer would you suggest? Did a lil' research today and found that just about everyone makes one. I used Edge on my F250 (since been traded in) and absolutely loved it. I see Edge makes an Evolution that seems to offer several difference functions. Any suggestions?

Thanks guys....

Originally Posted by phil6608
If we knew a little bit about your truck it would help!
Like what year and motor?

If a TBS is a throttle body spacer? Save your money there ,,,it's just a paperweight. Good for nothing but noise!
As far as I know JBA only has shorty headers,,,another thing good for nothing.
Get long tube headers or nothing at all. Long tubes and high flow cats are good for 30 or more HP.

The reason for getting the tuner first is it adds the most power.
If you do the tuner and the long tubes you'll pic up around 60 HP.

Phil

Old 09-14-2008, 01:13 AM
Well I'm going to go against phil and say get the tuner last (if your getting custom tunes)

Why?

Because when a customer tuner knows you have upgraded your exhaust/intake/ect. he can better set the tunes parameters to fully utilize the bolt-on products you added.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:16 AM
I'm probably going to stick with a basic hand-held tuner...I've gotten really good results in the past with them.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:24 AM
Originally Posted by shaunakadub
Well I'm going to go against phil and say get the tuner last (if your getting custom tunes)

Why?

Because when a customer tuner knows you have upgraded your exhaust/intake/ect. he can better set the tunes parameters to fully utilize the bolt-on products you added.
I should have mentioned that,,,YES with a custom tune,,,get the tune last!

Phil

Old 09-15-2008, 12:55 AM
i've been emailing a complany and he's putting together an intake/programmer combo for me.....keeping my fingers crossed it fits under my budget right now.....:0

wish me luck...

Old 09-15-2008, 12:23 PM
JBA does make an equal length shortie header... I have them on my 98 F-150. It looks like a big, tangled mess of tubes, and getting to the bolts aren't exactly "easy"... took me and a buddy the better part of a saturday to get them installed. They came with a dyno sheet; supposed to be good for like an extra 10HP on my truck. Also, they aren't cheap... you can have the standard shorties for a reasonable price, but the equal length run upwards of $900... they are CARB exempt though.

Quick Reply: Upgrades Poll