99' f150 fuel pump relay bad/suspect?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99' f150 fuel pump relay bad/suspect?

At Times, I Don't Hear The Standard Humming/clicking Of Fuel Pump Relay When Starting Engine, Is The Fuel Pump Relay Faulty? If So, Where Do I Locate It In Order To Replace It?

Old 07-07-2008, 09:12 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
It is in the engine compartment in the battery junction Box. Relay #301. Looking at the box from the driver side fender it is the large one closest to the fender and closest to the firewall. It is a cheap replacement from a parts store so swap it for an new one. A quality 30 amp relay will do fine. If the problem persists check the pump. FWIW I never hear the relay but I do hear my pump. If you are hearing the relay but not the pump I would suspect the pump.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 07-07-2008, 10:55 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
You have 3 sets of relays "D's" "F's" and "FO8B's" I believe. You have more than one of each and can swap when in question.

But, an easy way to tell if a relays gone bad is if their hot.

Yea , could just as easily be the pump like Mr. JMC suspects.

BTW - Theres a little book in the glove box. Comes with all trucks, hopefully you still have one in their. White and Blue book that pinpoints your fuse and relay locations.

Good Luck

Old 07-07-2008, 11:08 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Before putzing around with the fuel pump or its relay, have you verified that the PCM is booting up (it turns the FP relay on...).

Observe the CEL/SES light. What is it doing when the key is first turned to RUN?

Steve

Old 07-08-2008, 09:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel pump could be faulty

thanks for replies back guys....to clarify, the sound I hear is not the relay, but the actual fuel pump, correct. Also, if at times I try to start engine and fail to hear the standard humming/clicking, am I to assume it most likely is a fuel pump that needs replacement versus replacing the fuel pump relay?

Old 07-08-2008, 10:06 AM
JMC

Swap the relay with another one in the junction box. If that circuit fails the relay is bad. Relays can go bad over time but I would suspect the pump or the pump circuit. A month ago I replaced a relay for nothing. I was lazy and didn't want to get into the proper diagnostics of the circuit so I threw a new relay at it. The relay actually had to be replaced because I butchered it getting it out with vice grips. Corrosion in the wiring and a faulty fuel pump was finally diagnosed when the truck failed to start about a week later.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 07-08-2008, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by JMC
I was lazy and didn't want to get into the proper diagnostics of the circuit so I threw a new relay at it.
Yea, I'm guilty there I used the excuse - I need a new Fluke meter or something of that nature .. Now that I have it , I realize that it wasn't that much of a necessity. It's still in the plastic under the rear seat and I still haven't done the task the warranted that purchase. Now that's Lazy ~

Originally Posted by JMC
The relay actually had to be replaced because I butchered it getting it out with vice grips.
OOHHHFFFF...Vise Grips ? Damn , what do yuh pull fuses with? A pipe wrench ?

Old 07-09-2008, 01:26 AM
JMC

Originally Posted by jbrew
OOHHHFFFF...Vise Grips ? Damn , what do yuh pull fuses with? A pipe wrench ?

A- hole now I spit coke all over my French keyboard.

JMC

Old 07-09-2008, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by JMC
A- hole now I spit coke all over my French keyboard. JMC
Another keyboard ~ Someone steal your Sippy Cup ?

A - hole ?

Quick Reply: 99' f150 fuel pump relay bad/suspect?